The Most Unnecessary Sh*t

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Going moose hunting, I had a buddy bring a dolly, a metal pick up a bunch of boxes type. Had to weigh a good 35#. This is on a trip that required a 5 hour truck drive then a 2 hour boat ride. He thought he could pack out quarters with it. It was a new spot and I was like, is there a paved road out there? haha The real crazy thing is that he got hurt and had to be rescued by the national guard. Later, after he got out of the hospital, we joked that I should have grabed that dolly and wheeled him back to the boat!

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Packed a bottle of blackberry brandy in the bottom of my pack on a goat hunt. Climbed 5000 feet to camp, pulled out the bottle had a little tug and set off to find water leaving my buddy with the bottle. Came back 1/2 hour later to find the bottle empty and him passed out in the bushes. Lesson learned.

Always laugh when guys think they might need to build a cabin on a day hunt a few miles from the truck. Axe, hatchet, saw, ect

rclouse79

WKR
More often than not....my hunting partner. He'll say the same thing about me, though.

I've seen some interesting stuff come out of other folks packs. Extra pair of boots, very large revolvers, cookware of the cast iron sort, an entire bag of potatoes, case of beer, whole roll of paper towels (turned out to be a good idea, bulky, though), several boxes of cartridges on a day hunt (he had 100 rounds plus a belt pack?).

Most of the time, it turns out that I didn't need my rifle or bow, none of the game bags, knife, and meat hauling capable pack. I just carried them around out of fear an animal would die near me.

Jeremy
You and your hunting partner take turns packing each other into the backcountry? You guys are hardcore. I guess it is good training for when you are successful and have to get those elk quarters out.

1643664939381.png

OP
lyle_destroys
Not me but other people....the "Butt Out" tool. Absolutely pointless whether you are 10 miles from the truck or 5 ft.

My buddy brought a hatchet everyday in his pack on a truck camping type archery deer trip (western SD in Sept) no trees to be seen.

Im sorry but shoulder high fricking gloves for gutting a deer. Buddy of mine pulled them out in their nice neat little package...Needless to say I had the deer gutted before you got them and the cute little latex gloves on over them.
I never even heard of those butt out tools until someone posted about one the other day on here. I still don't know what the point of them is lol

Laned

WKR
Hahaha my brother insisted on packing this mtn house raspberry crumble to the bottom of a hell hole.
Convinced at the end of his 1st day backcountry hunting we would be sitting next to the creek enjoying desert.
I insisted he will never even remember its in his pack.
He pulled it back out at the truck and about had a heart attack he packed it all around for a couple days.
That's a bummer. That raspberry crumble makes a great breakfast on hot days. Prep it the night before, and secure it underwater in a creek overnight.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
Working trail crew one year I packed in a big ol watermelon 5 miles to the work site. I was everybody's friend that day.

I've also packed elk steak and canned chili to the Stillwater plateau, 6 packs of tall boys to elk camp and a 12 pound cot into the Bob Marshall.
Love it. I think I have a photo somewhere, but for my last hitch on a trail crew I hiked in steaks for everyone, two bottles of wine, and an inflatable zebra inner tube (our camp was on a lake.)

rayporter

WKR
so packing up i see my pard with a quart of shampoo. nope, i said, you aint taking that. get an ounce in a small bottle if ya need it.

when we get to camp the first thing that fell on the ground was that shampoo "i am not going to stink" he says. man did he turn blue when he stuck his head in the water off the snow melt.

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
Shampoo? Stink? Crazy! Ha ha you don't want to smell like a salon when you go hunting. I do bring the tiny travel container of baby powder for long hot backpacking trips because nothin ruins a man quicker than a case of chap monkey butt or chaffing of the berries.

NB7

WKR
Used to dump rocks in each others packs on breaks as a wildland fire fighter in college. Nothing sucked more than to find out you were packing a 5 pound rock around all day on the fire line.
LMAO. I did this to my son this past Sep on a MT archery elk trip. Sat down for lunch and he found the 5 pounder I snuck in there while we took a mid-morning break and he walked off a few yards to take a leak. He had carried it for a couple of miles. I had it done to me by someone else years ago so it was just the old pay-it-forward prank. He didn't let his pack out of his sight the rest of the trip, lol.