The Name of the Game, By Jimmy Laner

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Name of the Game is an article about some of the places we hunt and what they mean to us. Give it a read and let Jimmy (jlaner0408) know what you think.

image1.png

Jimmy grew up in northeast Ohio on fifty acres of prime whitetail deer, turkey, and small game country. Ohio will always be home, and he’s proud to hail from there, but Idaho now has his heart after moving to Idaho Falls with his wife and two dogs a little over a year ago. Now he works as an environmental engineer, chasing bigger critters in the high country and trout on the Snake River in his free time.

Great article. Reminds me of a few places a handful of my past hunting buddies know by name but could go to at any moment. Those stories are every bit as important as all of the woods and hunting knowledge. There's big Douglas-fir in a past elk hunting unit of mine called Grandma's Tree. The old lady who used to sit a stand at that tree passed on 40 years ago but the legend of that tree has been passed on, and embellished I am sure, for three hunting generations since then that I know about. If you ask anybody from those hunting groups where they are hunting it all references Grandma's Tree, the one point everybody knows.

Thanks guys. I’m always intrigued by the way places get their names and the stories behind those names. I’m glad everyone has enjoyed it!

Btaylor

WKR
Fun read. Took me right back to a pile of spots from my past and present, Death Ridge, The Haunt, The Stockyard, The Hub, The Big Cypress and the Big Persimmon just to name a few.