The New Leupold Mark 4HD?

Scottf270

WKR
I have no blind loyalty to any product. I just want what works best. I realize the drop tests may be flawed but any scope that comes anywhere near passing appears to be a " better" choice than one that fails.

In the end, use what you like and don't look back. Folks now days worry too damn much what others think.

Marshfly

WKR
The Maven reticle is pretty similar to the TMR. If the Leupold proves reliable then you won't need Maven involved.
The Leupold won't prove reliable. That's the problem. It's going to be the exact same erector and internals as every other scope they make. This scope has even MORE complication (complication adds weight) than those that work but weighs less in the end. If it doesn't break, it'll be a miracle.

Couldn't disagree more. You have no idea which bump, drop, etc will cause a shift. It's just a guess.
Agreed. I'll check in the field if my rifle takes a hit. Done it before, will do it again. All of us out there can walk in the other direction, and damn well shouldn't be in such a hurry that we can't figure out a way to find a time and check it out. Rifle shots are part of hunting season.

A rifle/scope takes a fall in the field. The hunter is responsible for what happens when shooting a live animal. Scope may be fine, what about the mounts and rings?

I like the test in general, interesting to see how the scopes perform or don't perform.

However the mindset it produces is questionable in a discussion about respect for the game being hunted. Seems more concern about a hunt instead of the living breathing animal.

I don’t have emotional attachment to a damn thing but my lady and my dog, I just think it’s ridiculous that a group of people run around parroting BS when myself and others with many samples of these so called unreliable optics have seen nothing but reliability. It’s even more reinforced when I have the interactions with gun owners and hunters that I do that are idiots and can barely screw in a light bulb, let alone understand the dynamics of a rifle and marksmanship and all the things that can cause a rifle to have a wondering zero.

Why don’t you email Ilya Koshkin and ask him why this test is flawed and why literally any optic could pass it or fail it?
While I respect him for what he does, Ilya concerns himself with focusing on comparing optical clarity from his deck. He is not someone who is hammering out miles every season and actually using these scopes in different conditions and environments. The idea that every scope is the same if they’re around the same price point and that failures are just random chance is such BS. It’s inconsistent with every other class of product on the market, yet so many believe it applies to optics.

For example, do you really believe a Vortex Razor LT is just as reliable as a NF NX8 since they’re the same class of optic?

Last edited:
While I respect him for what he does, Ilya concerns himself with focusing on comparing optical clarity from his deck. He is not someone who is hammering out miles every season and actually using these scopes in different conditions and environments. The idea that every scope is the same if they’re around the same price point and that failures are just random chance is such BS. It’s inconsistent with every other class of product on the market, yet so many believe it applies to optics.

For example, do you really believe a Vortex Razor LT is just as reliable as a NF NX8 since they’re the same class of optic?

He touches on a lot more than optical quality, more about designs and how they effect it. He knows more about scope internals than anyone on this forum though and would be a good source to ask. He's even touched on why these tests are flawed on snipershide if you want to look it up.

As to the LHT vs NX8, I've only owned the LHT and mine was reliable. I haven't owned a NX8 but I know people who have sent them back for parallax failures so based on my knowledge and experience of both of them one could come to the conclusion that the LHT is more reliable. I would say they are both overall reliable optics though and both have good build quality.

Supporting Leupold on Rokslide is like telling the the board at Harvard DEI is a bunch of horse shit while expecting to keep your job.

atmat

WKR
I don't know much about him. What's the scoop, and why do you not agree with the things he says?
Sorry, I should have been more clear: l I don’t inherently agree/disagree with things he says in broad strokes. I’m more criticizing the argument @redneckbmxer24 made referencing him, for two primary reasons:

1) Appeal to authority is a fallacy used in arguments, with no actual merit

2) Ilya is, by his own admission, not a mechanical guy but an optical guy. I’ll quote part of his most recent post on SH: “Opto-mechanical design is not really my field of expertise. I am fundamentally an electro-optic systems guy…”