The new Vortex Razor HD 13-39x56mm, The Mini Razor

I ended up looking through both the kowa and this new razor and the swaro atc….and went with the Kowa. The glass on the kowa was just as good as the swaro, but the swaro’s field of view blew the kowa away. The Kowa and the Swaro glass were both noticeably better, but they are a different price point than the vortex as well. Don’t get me wrong, the new little razor was really good, just not in the same league as the other two.

Edit: just thought I would add the actual reason I went with the Kowa - I liked the extra 5x on the top and I do most of my glassing with binos on a tripod. Just use the spotter to take a closer look. Since to me the glass was the same, I opted to save a few bucks and get the Kowa.

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
I ended up looking through both the kowa and this new razor and the swaro atc….and went with the Kowa. The glass on the kowa was just as good as the swaro, but the swaro’s field of view blew the kowa away. The Kowa and the Swaro glass were both noticeably better, but they are a different price point than the vortex as well. Don’t get me wrong, the new little razor was really good, just not in the same league as the other two.

Edit: just thought I would add the actual reason I went with the Kowa - I liked the extra 5x on the top and I do most of my glassing with binos on a tripod. Just use the spotter to take a closer look. Since to me the glass was the same, I opted to save a few bucks and get the Kowa.
So if just taking “a closer look”, wouldn’t the Razor be good enough?

So if just taking “a closer look”, wouldn’t the Razor be good enough?
Could be - I liked the 45x on the Kowa and the Kowa and Swaro glass is pretty amazing - its a noticeable difference. I had the money, so I went Kowa. If all would have had to spend was $1000, I would have been fine with the little razor.

I am coming from the 22-48x65 razor. The kowa and swaro blew it away. The little razor was good, it had the same bluish hue that the 22-48 has. It must be a razor glass coating thing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Could be - I liked the 45x on the Kowa and the Kowa and Swaro glass is pretty amazing - its a noticeable difference. I had the money, so I went Kowa. If all would have had to spend was $1000, I would have been fine with the little razor.

I am coming from the 22-48x65 razor. The kowa and swaro blew it away. The little razor was good, it had the same bluish hue that the 22-48 has. It must be a razor glass coating thing.
For what the mini razor is, it is pretty darn good, but it is not the atc or the kowa… hence the price

warrant

WKR
Comparison of the Razor 13-39x56 and Kowa 15-45x55

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
We have a mini razor, Kowa 55 and ATC to do a comparison between each other (to see what $1500 actually gets you) and to compare to 65mm spotters (3-4 higher end) to see what ~twice the weight gains you.

I used the mini razor today as a range spotter at 100yds. Was actually really surprised by the resolution. Would easily pick up .22 cal at that range. Again not asking a lot but for size and price point was impressed.

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
i just looked at at the Vortex and compared it with the small Swaro. No comparison is all i have to say. Brightness, field of view, edge to edge crispness in the lens but the biggest detractor for the Vortex is how hard it is to focus compared to the Swaro. If look at full magnification on a tripod its going to be hard to keep the optic centered while adjusting the focus. I was hoping for better but I won't be spending $900 or so for this.

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
i just looked at at the Vortex and compared it with the small Swaro. No comparison is all i have to say. Brightness, field of view, edge to edge crispness in the lens but the biggest detractor for the Vortex is how hard it is to focus compared to the Swaro. If look at full magnification on a tripod its going to be hard to keep the optic centered while adjusting the focus. I was hoping for better but I won't be spending $900 or so for this.
For sure understand the difference, but in context you’re talking about a $2600 vs $900 spotter. If a person has the coin for swaro it’s a no brainer but for many it’ll be the likes of the razor pitting against the kowa, maven, athon, etc.

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
True enough, but IMO, its not worth it as i know i wouldn't be happy with the stiffness of the focus regardless of the price. The agree the Kowa is likely the better choice before i spend the money on the Swaro. I only had the two to compare against each other, and the difference is pretty clear, no pun intended. I was anxiously awaiting to see the vortex for those hunts where i can use a smaller/lighter optic (ie, not moose and not sheep were max magnification and light might make the difference between taking a shot or not). I'll likely take the chance or ordering a Kowa 553. i don't need another $2500 spotter.

Tahoe1305

WKR
True enough, but IMO, its not worth it as i know i wouldn't be happy with the stiffness of the focus regardless of the price. The agree the Kowa is likely the better choice before i spend the money on the Swaro. I only had the two to compare against each other, and the difference is pretty clear, no pun intended. I was anxiously awaiting to see the vortex for those hunts where i can use a smaller/lighter optic (ie, not moose and not sheep were max magnification and light might make the difference between taking a shot or not). I'll likely take the chance or ordering a Kowa 553. i don't need another $2500 spotter.
I think most have seen my recap by now, but at least with the sample of razor I had, I’d disagree.

I do think focus was not as smooth, neither was zoom. But I had no issue getting it on target. When on target all it suffered from was a bit of color pop from the swaro.

I liked the swaro better and so did everyone else, but I also liked saving $~1800 and half a pound of weight too. Don’t think I’ll be missing much…these mini spotters aren’t made for scanning IMO. Just to verify some stuff. They both will get it done well.

tracker12

WKR
So had both of my vortex mini’s out yesterday glassing in the evening a spot on the frontrange +/-3 miles away. Wish I had a kowa or atc to really get a better opinion, but between the two.

Old razor has better focus adjustment. (Didn’t find the new one hard to adjust or sticky, but people mentioned very small window of best focus. If that makes sense)

New razor edges out old one optically, but not by a whole heck of a lot. Seemed like better color, little more crisp and better clarity)

Pulled out 65mm razor hd, and found it superior to both, which begs the questions if I’m really needing/ wanting a spotter, the extra lb or so shouldn’t scare me off too much. If I am doing a lot more close in work, say one side of the drainage to the other or sub 1500 yards clear edge to the little guys, or if I am just using it to I.D. game at distance, but not evaluate size or maturity. Also must preface only time I really glass is Nov muley hunting and scouting, carry 8 or 10x for archery and that is it.

I will take them over to table mountain sometime soon hopefully and do a little 1000 yard and in glassing.
After looking thru a bunch of mini spotters I have come to the conclusion that a good 65 size is still the best compromise. They aren’t overly big or heavy and offer benefits in light gathering and FOV.

Hnthrdr

WKR
After looking thru a bunch of mini spotters I have come to the conclusion that a good 65 size is still the best compromise. They aren’t overly big or heavy and offer benefits in light gathering and FOV.
Ended up settling on the ATC, the 65 kept getting left in the pack. I was over buying mid level glass just to try and replace it. If I do get another spotter, get a sheep tag or something along those lines it will likely be a 773 kowa or swaro 80mm

tracker12

WKR
Ended up settling on the ATC, the 65 kept getting left in the pack. I was over buying mid level glass just to try and replace it. If I do get another spotter, get a sheep tag or something along those lines it will likely be a 773 kowa or swaro 80mm
Well you cheated by going with the best of the small ones. That 773 is one I would like to have also.