The Perfect Bino Harness

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The market doesn't "need" another harness. That won't stop me from making one that has a few features that I want. After testing, we'll probably release some version of it. I am curious what sorts of features or mix of features you wish you could find.

I see lots of other guys trying to find "the perfect" harness, like lots of other gear. Makes me curious where the opportunities for improvements and simplifications are.

What sort of features are missing from the harness you are using?

What is the mix of features you want?

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Stone Glacier Skyline. I like having a minimalist and small lightweight harness, my only gripe with it is the straps and the rangefinder pouch. I would like the straps to be a little wider so they don't cut into your shoulder as much. I think they can achieve this without adding weight to it. Even mesh would be fine. I would like the rangefinder pouch to have a connector of some sort that attaches to the bino compartment so the rangefinder pouch doesn't slide.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The Stone Glacier harness system is dialed. Simple. Functional. Shoulder harness that doesn’t chafe your neck. Stays in position. Secure. Pouches for wind meter, spare magazine, sunglasses, survival essentials etc. Super trim. Fantastic quality backed by a fantastic company.

nobody

WKR
My perfect bino rig would be the same rough outline/footprint/design of the fully enclosed Kuiu pro harness, made of Marsupial's materials inside and out, with a useable front face pocket and two pockets on the side for windicator and other small items, with Marsupial's minimalist shoulder harness, Marsupial's protection built into the "hood" portion, with Kuiu's elastic closure, a zipper pocket on the back, and made in the USA, I would pay stupid money for it. Like really stupid.

Geewhiz

WKR
Make some kind of a structural insert and then duplicate the kuiu harness but make it out of DCF.

TaperPin

WKR
For general use, heck even preseason scouting, I don’t mind a fully enclosed case that opens easily with comfortable strap for mid size optics. However, while hunting I’ll constantly glass throughout the day and any full case is too much in the way. I’ve cut an oval rain guard of sorts out of heavy cordura with slits for the straps to through and it’s slid up the straps just enough so when the binoculars are brought up the oval moves out of the way, and returns when binoculars are put down. A sewn edge and material matching the full case would be a better look. I rarely see anyone with this set up so it probably would not be popular, but it’s been my favorite for 3 decades.

I reread the description and it probably doesn’t make sense without a picture. Lol

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For general use, heck even preseason scouting, I don’t mind a fully enclosed case that opens easily with comfortable strap for mid size optics. However, while hunting I’ll constantly glass throughout the day and any full case is too much in the way. I’ve cut an oval rain guard of sorts out of heavy cordura with slits for the straps to through and it’s slid up the straps just enough so when the binoculars are brought up the oval moves out of the way, and returns when binoculars are put down. A sewn edge and material matching the full case would be a better look. I rarely see anyone with this set up so it probably would not be popular, but it’s been my favorite for 3 decades.

I reread the description and it probably doesn’t make sense without a picture. Lol

I can’t get a clear picture of what you are describing, but it intrigues me.

I am with you. One of my pet peeves comes from the days I am constantly pulling my binos in and out of the harness. Simplicity and ease of use is high on my list.

I run marsupial gear harnesses. The original non enclosed design. I am very happy with them.

I wish the harness straps could be tightened and loosened to suit while on the fly while wearing the harness. Try to envision something similar to a kifaru pack frame belt adjustment or load lifter adjustment. I'm thinking adjusters low between your armpit and the bottom connection of the harness. I would like to be able to pull the straps forward to tighten the fit.

When active and layering up and down during the day the fit of my chest rig needs to be adjusted constantly which requires removing the rig over and over to get a tight fit. I like to wear the rig over my layers but find myself wearing it over my base layers to avoid the adjusting.

TaperPin

WKR

I am with you. One of my pet peeves comes from the days I am constantly pulling my binos in and out of the harness. Simplicity and ease of use is high on my list.
A better description is an oval shaped fabric umbrella - just big enough to keep light rain and tree sap off the eye pieces. I’ll look for a picture.

TaperPin

WKR

Zeiss calls them rain guards. If made of fabric it has to be stiff enough to remain somewhat flat, but flexible enough it never feels like it gets in the way when used in oddball angles. I don’t like the deep sides on the hard plastic version - without the sides it naturally wants to drop out of the way.

I definitely need to upgrade the look of mine. 🙂

Attachments

• D2B6B47D-0666-4D2F-A85D-8A91547415BA.jpeg
    D2B6B47D-0666-4D2F-A85D-8A91547415BA.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 63
Material has got to be dialed. Durable and stiff enough, but quiet. Features are less important to me.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Zeiss calls them rain guards. If made of fabric it has to be stiff enough to remain somewhat flat, but flexible enough it never feels like it gets in the way when used in oddball angles. I don’t like the deep sides on the hard plastic version - without the sides it naturally wants to drop out of the way.

I definitely need to upgrade the look of mine. 🙂
Ahh, I see. Thanks.

woods89

WKR
For a perspective you probably won't hear much.......

I use a Rick Young system, because I have spent a lot of time figuring out a technical clothing system, and a more substantial bino harness just winds up with a big damp patch underneath it. I'm one of those people who sweats a lot, admittedly. There are aspects to the Rick Young harness that aren't ideal, but for me the trade off is that it covers a minimum of real estate.

I'd entertain the idea of a different harness, but it would have to be pretty minimal. I only carry binos in mine of course, and since I use RF binos, I don't need a rangefinder pouch.

Just one idiots opinion.

ZackP

WKR
I am trying out the Muley Freak GC this year. So far I love it, but if I had to change one thing out of all I’ve tried? KUIU, Badlands, MF, etc… make the damn thing easily adjustable when on.

I have yet to find one I can easily adjust when adding clothes, or pulling jackets etc. I like mine tighter, no slop. I’m so OCD about it I will literally size it and tape the excess straps and sharpie where I need them properly adjusted depending on clothing. Even then, it’s not perfect.

All the extra add ons are “okay” on all I’ve tried, but fitment and adjustability is key for me.

ZackP

WKR
I am trying out the Muley Freak GC this year. So far I love it, but if I had to change one thing out of all I’ve tried? KUIU, Badlands, MF, etc… make the damn thing easily adjustable when on.

I have yet to find one I can easily adjust when adding clothes, or pulling jackets etc. I like mine tighter, no slop. I’m so OCD about it I will literally size it and tape the excess straps and sharpie where I need them properly adjusted depending on clothing. Even then, it’s not perfect.

All the extra add ons are “okay” on all I’ve tried, but fitment and adjustability is key for me.

On another note… granted it’ll cost more etc, but why has no one figured out how to properly size the strap system?

I’m 5’6” and 165-170. Even with a jacket layered I clearly don’t need the same amount of adjustability as a dude who is 6’4” and 250.

TheTone

WKR
My perfect bino rig would be the same rough outline/footprint/design of the fully enclosed Kuiu pro harness, made of Marsupial's materials inside and out, with a useable front face pocket and two pockets on the side for windicator and other small items, with Marsupial's minimalist shoulder harness, Marsupial's protection built into the "hood" portion, with Kuiu's elastic closure, a zipper pocket on the back, and made in the USA, I would pay stupid money for it. Like really stupid.
This sounds darn near perfect to me. I wanted to like the kuiu so much but the worthless front pocket (and zipper that didn’t work anyways) caused me to return mine