The Perfect Bino Harness

MattB

WKR
The original Kuiu design is still my favorite, but over the shoulder straps connected to the top of the pouch would have perfected it. The newer Kuiu is fully enclosed so it takes quite a bit more effort/dexterity to get the binocs in and out of. A big step backwards IMO.

The original is minimalist, light, and has a couple small mesh pouches for small articles like calls, small head lamp, etc.

Rob5589

WKR
For a perspective you probably won't hear much.......

I use a Rick Young system, because I have spent a lot of time figuring out a technical clothing system, and a more substantial bino harness just winds up with a big damp patch underneath it. I'm one of those people who sweats a lot, admittedly. There are aspects to the Rick Young harness that aren't ideal, but for me the trade off is that it covers a minimum of real estate.

I'd entertain the idea of a different harness, but it would have to be pretty minimal. I only carry binos in mine of course, and since I use RF binos, I don't need a rangefinder pouch.

Just one idiots opinion.
I really like the RYO myself. I simply moved my rf to a hip pouch on my pack and got an Aziak clip for my Inreach.

Not a feature but one the best hacks I found was taking the plastic cartridge insert from an ammo box and cutting it to fit the side pocket on my bino harness. It neatly and securely keeps three or four rounds of whatever ammo I am using right where I might need to access it.

So I guess if I was looking for a feature I would say having some elastic ammo loops inside one side pocket would be great. Even just two loops would be super.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What's the preference split for the "hinge" for the lid? Front opening (lift towards your chin) vs. the rear opening (lift away from you)?

What type of padding do you want? A soft foam or a stiff foam?

nobody

WKR
Absolutely HAS to open away from you, opening towards your chin makes it harder to operate one handed. Especially if it’s elastic closure (my vote) and not magnetic closure (not a fan, messes with GPS in my phone)

Somewhere in the middle on the foam thickness/padding level. I would want a sturdy body and lid with some padding inside to protect my expensive glass. Something a-la memory foam insole thickness and softness level on the inside. Not so thick it makes the harness giant, but not so thin it doesn’t protect.

Here’s the best way I can think to describe the padding: thin enough/stiff enough I can easily slide my binos in and out with one hand, but soft and cushy enough the binos DONT MOVE AT ALL while I hike/walk.

And if we are dreaming, somehow they need to be malleable so you can form them to fit your glass specifically.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Absolutely HAS to open away from you, opening towards your chin makes it harder to operate one handed. Especially if it’s elastic closure (my vote) and not magnetic closure (not a fan, messes with GPS in my phone)

Somewhere in the middle on the foam thickness/padding level. I would want a sturdy body and lid with some padding inside to protect my expensive glass. Something a-la memory foam insole thickness and softness level on the inside. Not so thick it makes the harness giant, but not so thin it doesn’t protect.

Here’s the best way I can think to describe the padding: thin enough/stiff enough I can easily slide my binos in and out with one hand, but soft and cushy enough the binos DONT MOVE AT ALL while I hike/walk.

And if we are dreaming, somehow they need to be malleable so you can form them to fit your glass specifically.

Nobody, you were specific enough that I would like to send you a prototype to test. I appreciate the time and detail. Please PM me for details. I would need your bino model for sizing. And, I have a couple other questions about other details you want.

I am working with a foam right now that I think meets all our objectives. It could even be molded with heat, but my experience is if molded too perfect it is harder to pull out one handed.

I like the way you describe the foam and function, that’s basically been a requirement for me. I am making the “perfect” bino pouch for myself. Why add “just another” bino harness.

I think that if I do it right, there are a lot of people like you and me out there.

nobody

WKR
Nobody, you were specific enough that I would like to send you a prototype to test. I appreciate the time and detail. Please PM me for details. I would need your bino model for sizing. And, I have a couple other questions about other details you want.

I am working with a foam right now that I think meets all our objectives. It could even be molded with heat, but my experience is if molded too perfect it is harder to pull out one handed.

I like the way you describe the foam and function, that’s basically been a requirement for me. I am making the “perfect” bino pouch for myself. Why add “just another” bino harness.

I think that if I do it right, there are a lot of people like you and me out there.
Wow, sounds like a great plan sir! And I do agree that the market is flooded with "me too" type products, yet very few of them stand out from one another. And those that do stand out have some type of big tradeoff in performance or functionality (IE Marsupial's magnets).

I'm with you, we can't be the only ones with frustrations in the market. The quote comes to mind, "If you build it, they will come."

PM inbound, I would love to work together on something!

The OG Kuiu is almost perfect. I added a small front pocket and may connect the shoulder straps to the bag. That would be my ideal.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone else replying on this thread, I have always intended to make a huge discount for final testing/proofing of the prototype before it is released.

I still have some questions and feedback is welcome. I want to make the bino case and harness into the most usable system and customizable.

I already have prototypes for bino cases that can configure with an ultralight/simple harness, padded harness, and “daypack”.

87TT

WKR
I love a good unicorn hunt. I will only make one suggestion. No magnets please. I had a harness that fit and worked great for me but the magnetic closer screwed with the compass on my GPS. I ended up cutting off the straps from that harness that were comfortable and easily adjustable and sewing it to a different brand case. then I sewed a other brand range finder to one side of that. I didn't like the way it was held closed so I riveted an old boot lace hook to it and made my own stretchy cord latch. Using that now for a couple years and it is OK but never quite perfect.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love a good unicorn hunt. I will only make one suggestion. No magnets please. I had a harness that fit and worked great for me but the magnetic closer screwed with the compass on my GPS. I ended up cutting off the straps from that harness that were comfortable and easily adjustable and sewing it to a different brand case. then I sewed a other brand range finder to one side of that. I didn't like the way it was held closed so I riveted an old boot lace hook to it and made my own stretchy cord latch. Using that now for a couple years and it is OK but never quite perfect.
A man after my own heart, lol. I am always hacking my gear. Yeah, magnets are a no go for me too.

Getting the straps right is a big part of my quest. I realize some people have different mission parameters, so my system will be fully configurable so that you can pick an ultralight/thin version or a more tailored harness with a little cushion, 3d mesh, and all the other cool technical goodies.

We're a very small company, so we can create and offer a more customizable solution. And, make quick changes for constant improvement. My focus is getting the best case I can, and then thinking ahead so that the system can expand and adapt over time.

doc88

FNG
@hereinaz very interested in how your harness development is coming. Trying to hold off buying a no-mag Marsupial to see how yours is. Please let us know and thanks for working on this.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the basic designs tested. I am building prototypes right now. Won’t be ready for production release this season, but I will have some out for prototype testing.

Anyone interested in testing for me, reach out. It will require pics and reviews so I can make sure they are perfect.

I have designs for front and rear opening pouches and minimal harness and comfort harness.

This morning I figured out how to build my pouch and harness so that the Kenai Chest Harness can be attached cleanly. A fellow Rokslider is helping me with that.

I also have a design for big glass that I take in my pack. You can see my tripod post sticking out of the bag on one pic. I can put the cover on it while it is on my tripod when I am moving around, usually on rocks to get to a new glassing spot.

AE64FB45-9DE5-4D3D-B40E-68233E65B814.jpeg45B7F649-B78B-4E83-B202-5E436FA85506.jpeg36265293-CC8A-4076-B379-03184AD92C8C.jpeg

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Grabbed a couple pics late last night. It is light.

The simple harness is largely done. Fully adjustable and there will be hardware options that come with every set. The shoulder buckles can be swapped out to a smaller profile hardware.

Anything you all think I should change?

Priority features of simple harness:

Easily adjustable waist and shoulder straps as we shed clothes as the day heats up.
Easy to clip in and out.
Wide shoulder straps for comfort.
Is 1.5” wide enough?
Flat straps to ride under pack.
89BC6202-B321-46A7-8AF0-E30764397C07.jpeg2A948617-7292-454B-A5A4-E9B87B51C2F4.jpeg

nobody

WKR
Looks great, is the elastic closure cord also adjustable?

Also, when you say 1.5” wide shoulder straps, it looks like they’re 1.5” over top but taper down to 1” at the buckles. Are we seeing that correct?

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks great, is the elastic closure cord also adjustable?

Also, when you say 1.5” wide shoulder straps, it looks like they’re 1.5” over top but taper down to 1” at the buckles. Are we seeing that correct?
Yes, the elastic is adjustable and replaceable. I hate elastic, it always dies. So, it has to be that way for me.

Yes, it is 1.5” over the shoulder then tapered to 1” at the buckles.

nobody

WKR
Yes, the elastic is adjustable and replaceable. I hate elastic, it always dies. So, it has to be that way for me.

Yes, it is 1.5” over the shoulder then tapered to 1” at the buckles.
Nice, adjustability is also nice if a guy has multiple pairs of binos and shares one harness. And good call on the strap width, minimalistic and simple yet should help spread the load and minimize neck/trap strain.

Bravo sir 👍