The Perfect Bino Harness

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice, adjustability is also nice if a guy has multiple pairs of binos and shares one harness. And good call on the strap width, minimalistic and simple yet should help spread the load and minimize neck/trap strain.

Bravo sir đź‘Ť
Thanks, I know what I like and I listen to you all.

Speaking of that, here is a mock-up of the bino harness set up with a Kenai holster. I don’t have one, but a Rokslider sent me a pic with measurements.

Lemme know what you think.

For DIY types. I will work on a permanent mod that will retain factory functionality and also make it easy to snap in and out. Drilling out three rivets gives endless options, really.

This harness uses the waist buckles off the holster, and para cord to connect through the holster buckles to attach the bino pouch.

The top harness strap threads through the bottom of the buckle and will use Velcro to wrap around the buckle to keep it from moving.

2616DA9A-EDE8-4AA4-8035-ADD6B47623E1.jpegA0D90D37-5B94-40D6-A25E-B9A1BA000277.jpeg80A847A5-9285-426B-ABAF-611D43AFC052.jpeg4CBC907E-5B29-442A-AE1B-A54945228C43.jpeg

Attachments

• 46027D85-0C36-443E-BF31-6758E2196982.jpeg
    46027D85-0C36-443E-BF31-6758E2196982.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 19

nobody

WKR
Thanks, I know what I like and I listen to you all.

Speaking of that, here is a mock-up of the bino harness set up with a Kenai holster. I don’t have one, but a Rokslider sent me a pic with measurements.

Lemme know what you think.

For DIY types. I will work on a permanent mod that will retain factory functionality and also make it easy to snap in and out. Drilling out three rivets gives endless options, really.

This harness uses the waist buckles off the holster, and para cord to connect through the holster buckles to attach the bino pouch.

The top harness strap threads through the bottom of the buckle and will use Velcro to wrap around the buckle to keep it from moving.

View attachment 588290View attachment 588291View attachment 588292View attachment 588294
looks awesome, assuming it’ll work and could be setup for right or left handed application right?

ethan

WKR
For a perspective you probably won't hear much.......

I use a Rick Young system, because I have spent a lot of time figuring out a technical clothing system, and a more substantial bino harness just winds up with a big damp patch underneath it. I'm one of those people who sweats a lot, admittedly. There are aspects to the Rick Young harness that aren't ideal, but for me the trade off is that it covers a minimum of real estate.

I'd entertain the idea of a different harness, but it would have to be pretty minimal. I only carry binos in mine of course, and since I use RF binos, I don't need a rangefinder pouch.

Just one idiots opinion.
I use the Rick young harness with a simple cover that straps around your chest and weighs virtually nothing. Grey wolf woolens makes it and it’s cheap. It offers a little protection for your bimo’s but most importantly, it keeps hem from swinging away from your chest if you lean over

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I finished a working prototype for a “universal” holster attachment that I have been playing with for my own pistol. Needs just some fine tuning, but works awesome right now.

I created a foam “plate” with a heavy strap to act as the “belt” so I have one holster to use traditionally on my side, on my pack, and now on my bino harness.

Most any holster will work with enough retention in a vertical position.

CE985AEC-3173-480E-A8D8-631156384572.jpeg
ADF015A1-5D55-455E-AD6A-8BA884375352.jpeg5391D41F-46F5-4F6A-ACBD-699B83786811.jpegB17B208A-5045-438D-A8CB-456BB3B77B05.jpeg85782FE3-93FA-4889-844E-0AEF62810AFE.jpeg

Attachments

• 70714D85-BA4E-4C56-83B8-9F242FDF8A34.jpeg
    70714D85-BA4E-4C56-83B8-9F242FDF8A34.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 14

nobody

WKR
duraflex buckles? Most major pack brands I’ve seen use duraflex buckles so some compatibility would be nice

woods89

WKR
1.5" over the shoulders should be plenty. The RYO uses shock cord. It doesn't seem like it would be comfortable but I can carry 10x42 Leica Geovids without discomfort.

I'd be curious how a very basic pouch like this would work with a shock cord harness.

I like the design! For me, all I need is binos and maybe a range card and compass. Only other thing might be a spot for a 5 rnd AICS.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
duraflex buckles? Most major pack brands I’ve seen use duraflex buckles so some compatibility would be nice
Yeah, Duraflex is the most common brand and what we try to source.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The market doesn't "need" another harness. That won't stop me from making one that has a few features that I want. After testing, we'll probably release some version of it. I am curious what sorts of features or mix of features you wish you could find.

I see lots of other guys trying to find "the perfect" harness, like lots of other gear. Makes me curious where the opportunities for improvements and simplifications are.

What sort of features are missing from the harness you are using?

What is the mix of features you want?

I just switched to a Numbat chest rig vs. bino harness. Reasons why:

- Most bino harnesses are too bulky. They have too much padding which is not necessary for most binos as they are armored anyway. The padding adds bulk and not much protection for any kind of significant drop either. Sure, put some (light) padding on the base so when the pack down on a rock upright it is there, but there is no need to swaddle the entire bino in padding. I'd even argue the padding on the bottom is not needed unless you are incredibly careless with your gear, in which case the 1/4" of padding most harnesses have again is not going to help you.

- Many bino harnesses have too many molle/pals/webbing all over them for attachment pockets. The pockets again add bulk with fabric and clips to hold them. They flop around when moving. They waste space vs using a single larger compartment. The webbing is mostly unused so again needless weight. Also noisy in the bush when twigs rub against it.

- Most harnesses are optimized for holding binos of course, but I'd argue most guys are putting in binos, some ammo, a phone, PLB, radio, optics cleaner, knife, etc. This gets back again to a wider flatter pouch like a chest rig to hold all the bits in one larger pocket vs. small compartments strapped all over. Again don't waste space with smaller pockets all over. Just a larger simple single compartment with some smaller pockets internal for holding things.

- Many harneses are made with heavy cordura fabric vs. lighter versions. This is complete overkill and again adds weight where not needed. Bino harnesses are not being dragged on the ground so no need for the heaviest materials.

- Bino harneses often have pockets out front bringing the centre of gravity away from the chest. This makes them again bounce a lot when moving. It also makes them feel heavier putting the weight away from your torso. Finally they often protrude too much so when moving on your belly or getting into a shot position they are in the way. Keep the weight near the torso and flatter/wider.

- Bino pouches are often too bulky again for using a bow well. They interfere with the anchor with possibility of string strike. Again, flatter and wider is better.

I just got the Numbat because it is lighter materials, is one bigger pocket with removable separator, and lies a lot flatter than bino harnesses. I will be using it for hunting and so far it checks a lot of boxes I'd like to see in dedicated bino harnesses.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I ended up making my own setup using a HPG Chest Pack that has everything I need. Binos and Rangefinder inside and 2nd pocket hold survival stuff in it and a 10k Mah ultralight battery for charging the phone. the Contraption in the middle holds my phone so I can flip it down and look at maps or put it up so I can video whats in front of me. I also run my Headlamp on the strap as I hate using headlamps so this works perfect and I can even face the headlamp in different directions out front of me. Garmin mini 2 in Exo case and a T&K Wind checker pouch for my wind checker. Whites sv90 knife hangs off the bottom and an HRT Tourniquet velcro'd to the front all of this in a low profile chest rig that I can still draw my bow with.

1692008271751.png

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks guys! Great input.

Makes a lot of sense. I have toyed with some of the same ideas, making it a flatter chest rig rather than a harness and pouches. It can get pretty unwieldy as a harness and Molle collection.

Warrior10

FNG
Does anyone else prefer to leave their Vortex Bino Tripod Adapter attached to their binos (while in harness) for shorter hikes/moves?

Problem then being the binos don't fit securely down far/deep enough in the harness. I've often wished my harness had a slit/groove in the front that the adapter could slide down into.

Maybe a different adapter is the simpler solution. Just thinking out loud here.

nobody

WKR
Does anyone else prefer to leave their Vortex Bino Tripod Adapter attached to their binos (while in harness) for shorter hikes/moves?

Problem then being the binos don't fit securely down far/deep enough in the harness. I've often wished my harness had a slit/groove in the front that the adapter could slide down into.

Aziak bino clamp

TN2shot07

WKR
I don’t always carry when I’m hunting but that looks like a pretty slick system for it!

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Been there… look at this solution for my big glass. I leave it on my tripod and cover it. Or, put it in my pack.

I will see what I can come up with for a bino pouch, but it’s not a thing.

it’s how I carry my big glass and made a special case so I can cover it when I am moving and glassing.

I can think about it for you too.

6AE79D99-8568-47CC-9E79-249306E39F7F.jpeg

TheTone

WKR

Outdoorsman’s stud and leave the post attached to the tripod

I’ve never really seen a need to have buckles on the end of the shoulder straps where the connect to the top of the harness. My original fhf doesn’t and the marsupial buckle delete kit is a clean, more minimal option

Rob5589

WKR
Grabbed a couple pics late last night. It is light.

The simple harness is largely done. Fully adjustable and there will be hardware options that come with every set. The shoulder buckles can be swapped out to a smaller profile hardware.

Anything you all think I should change?

Priority features of simple harness:

Easily adjustable waist and shoulder straps as we shed clothes as the day heats up.
Easy to clip in and out.
Wide shoulder straps for comfort.
Is 1.5” wide enough?
Flat straps to ride under pack.
View attachment 588127View attachment 588128
For me, I see no need for buckles. A simple slider, or whatever they're called, works and will lay flatter under a pack. There also needs to be a way to secure the excess webbing. The excess flapping around is freaking annoying. A webbing similar to what Marsupial uses in their belts would be ideal for the waist strap. It has some give when huffing and puffing during a climb, bending over, crawling around, etc., vs straight elastic which never holds and quickly stretches out.

gclubb02

FNG
I just switched from a marsupial to a fhf fob and all I have to say is I absolutely love having the molle strips on my harness. I realize a lot of guys are minimalist about their bino harnesses but making a version with molle attachment strips would sell it to people like me who like to put other stuff on their harness so its easily accessible and right at your fingertips. Would also help sell it to folks that have a bunch of molle pouches but no harness to use then on or a harness they don’t necessarily like other than for the fact it has that system on it. Just my 2 cents