The Perfect Boot

Oohmatron

FNG
Ditto ttuci16. It's called the Hanwag Trapper Top, if you can find this rare boot None better.

Kickstep

FNG
Ditto ttuci16. It's called the Hanwag Trapper Top, if you can find this rare boot None better.

I like the Trappers, too. Ultimately, lots of good options that all fit differently. Sole rigidity is very much preference, but can’t beat a rigid sole in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oohmatron

FNG
Of course, the fit is the key. I took an extra half size in the Trappers to make them really work for me but they fit my foot perfectly elsewhere. They are truly awesome boots if your feet fit them well.

Last edited:
says don't list the brand so here are the specs for the boots I wear. Got 2 pairs of them and love em:

• Waterproof full-grain leather upper for abrasion resistance and durability
  • Gore-Tex® membrane provides breathable waterproof protection
  • Thinsulate™ Zone insulation keep feet not only warm in areas where it is needed most
  • PreciseFit™ technology allows you to customize the size and width of each individual foot with inserts of different thicknesses
  • Smooth polycarbonate hardware minimizes frayed laces and are self-locking which allows you to lace the ankle with a different tightness than the forefoot
  • Polyurethane midsole and Endoskeleton™ internal suspension system enhances comfort and performance by controlling impact deflection while supporting the arch and providing forefoot flexibility
  • TPU toe bumper for added protection and durability
  • Vibram® rubber outsole for all-terrain and all-weather traction with grooves for mounting crampons, making sure ice and snow will never slow a response to those in need
  • Waterproof

nphunter

WKR
Full rand, leather at least up to where my pants cover, locking lace system, super stiff foot bed, good durable sole, water proof, roomy toe box, non insulated, 8”.

I have found the perfect boot for my wide foot. The new Scarpa Grand Dru GTX, most comfortable boots I have worn in steep country and still comfortable enough for easy hunts. I’ll be buying a few pairs of this boot when I find them on sale.

I went through a lot of boots and learned a lot. IMO most people are buying boots that are too small, we are so use to shoe sizes or even hikers. I have always worn a 8 wide and have struggled forever with finding good boots. Even finding boots that fit that were offered in a wide they just wouldn’t hold up and I always ended up jamming my pinky toe into the front of the boot.

I spent a couple grand on boots this spring trying to replace my discontinued Meindl’s. I bought most of them used here or on mountaineering sites and a couple pairs new. I ended up finding some Scarpa Mont Blancs and was hesitant to buy them because they were a full size too big. I bought them and they were tight even a full size too big but very comfortable, I almost kept them but then decided to size up another half size. I got the Grand Dru in a 9.5 or EU 42.5, these boots are not wife’s but have ample room for my 4E foot and this is the first time in 5 years I didn’t loose a toe mail after elk season. I have always struggled with boot fit but even starting out with new boots this season I never had a single boot issue, hot spot or toe issue.

I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on boots and the biggest thing I have learned is that the sizing tag inside is specific to that model of boot, even the same brands of boots make different models on different lasts so they are sized different. Winter time is a good time to try boots because if your shipping back and forth it takes time. Another good option is buying used and selling the ones that don’t fit. Once you find a good fit then buy that same boot new.

I’m also going to pick up another Mont Blanc since it’s an insulated version of the grand dru. Currently for cold weather my old Meindl AK hunters are my go to, they are 4yrs old and on there second sole and are about worn out.

I guess to sum it up, the perfect boot is the one that you put on and think man i never knew boots could be so comfortable.

I had pretty much come to accept I needed to pack leuko tape for foot repairs and hurt feet were just part of putting in miles in the back country. I only had to tape hot spots one time this fall and that was the day I switched back to my old faithful Meindl’s so the Scarpas could air out.

As far as waterproof I personally believe that comes down to boot care. My full leather non lined boots were waterproof when treated correctly. Same as my gortex leather boots, normally I treat my boots early spring before she’d hunting and they are letting a little moisture in by the end of archery season. The dry hot weather is hell on leather and they should be treated when they start to dry out or seep at the base of the tounge. The Lowa waterproof spray and cream works great for me for gortex and sno-seal for all leather.

Oohmatron

FNG
You make many points I agree with - particularly on idiosyncratic sizing and toe space which is so critical for descending in comfort. There's no substitute for wearing them before you buy.