The psychology of forums

I don’t have an opinion on what celebs are or aren’t doing. I like the Kifarucasts, the Elk101 videos and podcasts, Newberg videos and podcasts, loved Miranda’s Adventure Bowhunter videos. And a handful of others. Great entertainment! And wealth of information. I’m always looking for that game changing piece of info. Other than that these celebs are the furthest thing from my mind when I have my bow in my hand. Or a rifle, shotgun etc. the forums are another avenue to meet and network with likeminded hunters. I’ve made a lot of cool hunters on the forums!

Zappaman

WKR
I'll chime in and say just one thing here... as I have read all the posts here for a few years- I feel like the expectation of the "cost" of "gear" HAS gone up in the minds of hunters old and new. Buyers who have lots of disposable income HAVE pushed prices up on "stuff" that didn't budge much in "price inflation" for 30 years... until the last five years or so.

Companies have consolidated and dropped several excellent lines of products. For example: I have followed the scope markets for 40 years and Vista bought out Nikon and Weaver (who WERE making excellent products for all those years). Then they close down the brands (and that market's price points) while adding new brands that cost a LOT more (OR try to sell pure junk for the same "old prices"). Yes they have SOME new innovation, but now cost us THREE times what the old designs did.

They have successfully "cornered the market" with very little "added production costs" (and a LOT of cost reductions building in China, etc. BTW), and this is why we have so many NEW companies entering this "lucrative" market. Good for them, bad for the consumer IMHO.

But convince everyone they need a 600 yard scope (just in case they try that "shot" few can make WITHOUT experience), and kill off the source of "affordable" brands while you are at it-- and you are in control. And lots of influencers here will tell you you are just "crazy" to not go buy the latest, greatest, wizz-bang scope sold today with a mark-up well beyond the "added cost" of production- compared to NOT too long ago.

Costs do go up, but like reloading stuff... the cost to MAKE primers has NOT gone up 300%- just the price that is controlled by TWO companies in the US (with sanctions in place for other "off-shore" makers who would LOVE to sell 1k primers for $35... IF they could "get into the market").

There are folks who influence. Meat eater is an example. Randy Newberg another. They can royally screw up your hunting area.

Most of the you tube guys are wanna bes.

On here there are dome guys who get a lot of views snd folks serk to asdociate w them. Theyd be condidered influencers too, just on a smaller scale.
See…. I don’t want anybody to seek Association with me. Leave me the Fxxk alone.

Of the folks I know who hunt I’m pretty well the only one who frequents forums, podcasts, ect… so for my group, maybe 10%.
I am subscribed to 3 or 4 podcasts(2 are honeybee related educational). I’ve been subscribed to maybe 3x that over the years. I download lots of them, but only listen to maybe 30% of what I download.
I’m subscribed to some YouTube stuff, none of it hunting. Again, I watch very little of what I’m subscribed to, but it does make it easy to find, being subscribed.

I wouldn’t say I’m influenced by the folks, but I do pay some attention to the products they use and consider some of those products when researching purchases. So on some level the advertising works on me.
I also used a workout program the EXO folks had on their podcast several years ago as a sort of advertisement, but never did purchase further workout info, just used the free offering.
I tried a First lite stormproof rain jacket several years back due to a review on here. The rain jacket was a horrible failure. But I learned to diss-regard rain wear reviews from folks in places like Wyoming and Colorado where they get maybe 20” of rain a year. LOL.

505Wapiti

WKR
I see this thread has died, but it’s an interesting thread I’m surprised that it died. I’m probably a pretty good example of the general hunting public. I’ve been hunting since 1988, but just on this forum since 2020 ish…. When somebody drops the name of some influential hunting podcaster, I have no idea who or what they’re talking about. What I’m saying is I’m not influenced at all by influencers of any sort. I think there’s a lot of people like me out there. I’m so old school that I think Dave Petzal is the shit.
Every time I got that magazine in the mail, I couldn’t wait to read Petzal’s stories.

505Wapiti

WKR
I was taught to be a skeptical consumer of the literature in graduate school when doing research. I guess I was always wired to be a little bit skeptical in general so it was a good fit for me in school and has carried with me through the years. Whether we want to admit it or not, we all fall prey to crafty marketing at one point or another. Sometimes we are happy with our choices and others we know we will never purchase again. Billions of dollars are spent in the marketing arena, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

As much as I understand sample size and not overgeneralizing, I do appreciate this forum for my ability to get real world experience and information from a collective group of mostly like minded people. I’d spend 10 hours straight on here before I’d spend 2 mins on Fakebook.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
Every single one of "These people" I look at as sort of a cliché, a character of themselves. In ten years they will be the babe winklemans

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Folks tend to watch/subscribe/listen to that which they agree. The rise of Fox and OAN over the ABC, NBC and CBS are examples.

People want to hang with their "tribe".
I know I am late to the party, but this is something I have been saying for a while. The greater sociopolitical polarization and extremism today can, in many ways, be traced to us radicalizing ourselves. Twitter is a great example. Anyone who forces us to think critical, we block. Anyone who confirms our opinions, we follow. We create an echo chamber for ourselves where anything that challenges our beliefs and asks us to think critically, is nonexistent.

elkyinzer

WKR
I blame Daniel Boone, he was the OG influencer boogeyman. What a dickhead.

Real talk though, anyone else ever wonder what a primadonna one would have to be to garner such attention in those times?

Famous people from any time period, plop them down today and they would be just as insufferable as anyone. Attention seeking behavior gonna seek attention, we've just gone to whole new frontiers to make 15 minutes of fame accessible to all. Influencers aren't a new concept it's just more accessible status than ever and that makes a lot of people jealous in my estimation.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I know I am late to the party, but this is something I have been saying for a while. The greater sociopolitical polarization and extremism today can, in many ways, be traced to us radicalizing ourselves. Twitter is a great example. Anyone who forces us to think critical, we block. Anyone who confirms our opinions, we follow. We create an echo chamber for ourselves where anything that challenges our beliefs and asks us to think critically, is nonexistent.
I wholeheartedly agree. I read an interesting article earlier today that quoted Charlie Munger of Berkshire Hathaway fame who decried the death of the local newspapers as that in large part allowed for the centralization of news to national firms which are increasingly tailoring it to its target market. That is what has in large part allowed for the objectivity and even the truthfulness of "news" to decline.

I used to laugh at George Carlin's the quote "never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" but sadly it seems today to be advice that needs to be considered critically.

Elkynizer makes a good point. Influencers are nothing new. Neither is cancel culture. Old as the hills.

Zappaman

WKR
If people are jealous, they're paying too much attention (in my estimation) ;)

I'm an old school hunter raised on ranches and we ALL knew the "Dime Store" cowboys back in the day... and we laughed at them for the most part. I don't have any social media (never have- except maybe for here and a few other forums). My wife does ALL the social stuff for both of us!

The hunters I look up to are mostly dead, and a lot of guys here (i.e. who shoot elk at 1000 yards with pellet guns, etc.) get ignored by me. I'm not saying they didn't do whatever claim-- I just really don't give a shit.

If it's PRACTICAL information I can use (on the other hand), and they aren't "pumping up" some BS product (or idea)... I appreciate the sharing and FEW posts from hunters I identify with here. Those would be the guys who aren't rich, entitled, wannaby "new age" dime store shooters.

Money and fame don't make the hunter I'm interested in knowing... but several good friends I hunt with have both. But they don't have social media campaigns and the need to tell everyone how great they are-- they are just GOOD people who hunt- I am glad to hunt with them and know them. They are my REAL flesh and blood friends.

Zappaman

WKR
I wholeheartedly agree. I read an interesting article earlier today that quoted Charlie Munger of Berkshire Hathaway fame who decried the death of the local newspapers as that in large part allowed for the centralization of news to national firms which are increasingly tailoring it to its target market. That is what has in large part allowed for the objectivity and even the truthfulness of "news" to decline.

I used to laugh at George Carlin's the quote "never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" but sadly it seems today to be advice that needs to be considered critically.
Superb observation! Neal Postman wrote a small book, "Amused to Death" (later well expanded upon by Roger Waters in his 1992 release under the same name- EXCELLENT album!) That book details exactly your point here.

George Carlin was a prophet... I miss him!!!

Diesel

WKR
A small handful of corporate media controls what the headline readers are fed daily. Free speech is stifled in the name of truth. Social media controls what is acceptable thinking and eliminates those who hold opposing views. Wokism and group think is pushed relentlessly. Pressure to conform for the "good " of all.

If you don't listen to the news you are uninformed but if you do you are misinformed. You are being controlled and directed. Our mistrust is why we go tribal.

Question everything, seek out opposing views, use you instincts, witness the real world. If you approach information like you are hunting alone, you will find truth.