Thinking about buying a Kimber 1911

I’ve had my eye on a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. I have a Glock 20 that I like but I also REALLY like all my 1911’s. The owner of one of my local gun shops really dislikes Kimber handguns, he stated that a huge percentage of them wind up having to be sent back to be re-worked (whatever that means) to cycle correctly. Figured I’d ask here for any feedback that any of you all may have, good or bad to help me make the decision on buying one or not.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big 1911 fan have owned many including Kimber. Kimber does get a lot of bashing in the 1911 world some of it founded some not. My take is that they build a mid-level quality 1911 at an upper mid-level price and get away with it because of good marketing. There are options like Dan Wesson in the same price point that make much better guns IMO.

I had the frame crack on my Kimber 1911. Long story short, they wouldn’t stand behind it.

Ed Brown gained a customer that day.

Love my two in 45 but don’t shoot 1911 nearly as much as others I have. Good luck

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I had the frame crack on my Kimber 1911. Long story short, they wouldn’t stand behind it.

Ed Brown gained a customer that day.
Yup you get what you pay for in quality and service Ed Brown makes some of the finest 1911s out. I happen to be a Wilson Combat fan and can say their service is top notch.

I had a gun serviced locally which involved re coating the slide. I later had the tritium in the front site fall out and sent it back to Wilson on their dime no less. When they replaced the sight, they told me they taped the slide to protect it and when they removed the tape the finish came off. They refinished the slide even knowing that it was not their original finish!

kpk

WKR
Not a fan of Kimber either. They’re pretty, but they don’t seem to run well. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at 10s in the 1911 but Dan Wesson made a really simple clean one for slightly more than Kimber - that’d be my choice. Springfield would be my second choice…maybe even first considering how my 45s have been flawless.

EDIT - these would be my choices in Kimberish price range. The others listed above are top notch if you’ve got the cash.

Last edited:
OP
commandoNate
Thanks all for the great responses! Sounds like there is something to this so maybe I look toward one of the higher end ones. The shop owner I was talking with yesterday was really pushing me toward Dan Wesson. Looks like they were brought by CZ USA in 2006. Doesn’t bother me, just thought it was interesting. I’ve got a buddy with an Ed Brown and he loves it but they are likely more than I’m wanting to spend on this. I also don’t see a 10mm option on the EB site, maybe I’m overlooking something though.

Wapiti1

WKR
Dan Wesson is still solid. The CZ ownership change didn't change the quality, or where they are made. Still made in NY.

Another brand to consider is SIG Sauer. I have their TTT model 1911, and it is very well done.

Wilson Combat has a 10mm option if you can spring for that amount of cash. They also do a .460 Rowland.

Jeremy

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
From what I’ve heard, Kimber is not what they used to be, especially if you can get a DW for the same price. 10mm can be hard on steel frame if you shoot it a bunch.

kpk

WKR
Dan Wesson is still solid. The CZ ownership change didn't change the quality, or where they are made. Still made in NY.

Another brand to consider is SIG Sauer. I have their TTT model 1911, and it is very well done.

Wilson Combat has a 10mm option if you can spring for that amount of cash. They also do a .460 Rowland.

Jeremy

I've played with a couple of the Sig 1911s - very nice. I STRONGLY considered getting a Tac Ops in 10mm but at the time finding a molded holster for the railed SIG slide was pretty hit or miss.

If it ain’t got a pony....it’s a PHONY!

69989D70-F39D-41A7-B2EE-C411BBA687DA.jpeg

Haha, just kidding. I am a 1911 fanboy. I’ve got Colts, Springfields, Dan Wessons, and Kimbers. Fit and finish-wise, the Dan Wesson has no rival in my collection. It was $1499, so only marginally more expensive than the other stuff. However, it has had some hiccups too. I had to replace the safety detent and spring because it was WAY too stiff. It was difficult to disengage the safety and the slide wouldn’t lock open on empty.

One Kimber has been flawless since day 1. It’s an old TLE with external extractor. This is interesting because those extractors were so bad that Kimber was replacing slides left and right. The other is a Stainless TLE which has had its whole upper half replaced and many of the parts in the frame replaced, all warranty issues.

Both Colts I have run flawlessly, but fit and finish is the worst of the bunch. Much looser tolerances and the laser engraving is rough and had to be smoothed out. The finish isn’t even on either one.

The Springfield, a “Loaded” model, has had one little hiccup. The left handed side of the ambidextrous safety only worked 1/2 of the time. Otherwise, it would get jammed up. I’m not a lefty, so I replaced it with a non-ambi safety. Since then, flawless.

Remember, its a 111 year old design. A lot of hand fitting has go into to make it run right. Some of those gremlins don’t show themselves until you really run the gun hard. That’s why the 500-1000 round break-in is often cited. You have to commit to the process and not get too fired up if it’s not perfect on day one.....like a Glock.

1911s aren’t just a gun, they’re a lifestyle.

When I saw the Pony, I figured major fanboy promo but your coverage of the 1911 market is nearly identical to my experience.
Dan Wesson, after CZ acquired them, put out the tightest tolerance 1911 in the semi-custom market. They were...too tight....like you have to shoot them to get them broken in. Slide/frame fit was flawless. Nice piece, worth every dollar.
Kimber TLE with external extractor...I have owned one for over 15 years and it has been fantastic. Can't say the same for the all-steel Commander I owned. Great accuracy but not 100% reliable.
Colts manufactured before the tooling renovation in 2015 were rattletraps with nothing desirable about them but the Pony, but, like Toyota, you couldn't tell anyone that because the Colt Koolaid is that strong. Modern Colts have better tolerances but I haven't shot one.
I was fortunate to get an STI Trojan 5" in 9mm before they discontinued it. Slide feels like it's on ball bearings. The thing is about perfect...Shoots incredibly accurate. STI is a step above.

When I saw the Pony, I figured major fanboy promo but your coverage of the 1911 market is nearly identical to my experience.
Dan Wesson, after CZ acquired them, put out the tightest tolerance 1911 in the semi-custom market. They were...too tight....like you have to shoot them to get them broken in. Slide/frame fit was flawless. Nice piece, worth every dollar.
Kimber TLE with external extractor...I have owned one for over 15 years and it has been fantastic. Can't say the same for the all-steel Commander I owned. Great accuracy but not 100% reliable.
Colts manufactured before the tooling renovation in 2015 were rattletraps with nothing desirable about them but the Pony, but, like Toyota, you couldn't tell anyone that because the Colt Koolaid is that strong. Modern Colts have better tolerances but I haven't shot one.
I was fortunate to get an STI Trojan 5" in 9mm before they discontinued it. Slide feels like it's on ball bearings. The thing is about perfect...Shoots incredibly accurate. STI is a step above.

My CZ/DW is a Guardian in 45. Some don’t like the bobtail, but like it in a carry gun. This thing is a beast. The ramped barrel should enhance frame life (alloy).

1BB94F2E-DB0D-459B-B0BA-F9FFA7066224.jpeg

Last edited:

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kimber Custom II that has been perfect but it's in 45acp. I was seriously considering buying a 10mm as well, but was looking at a Springfield Armory. At this point I'm holding off. They all seem to have some flaws if you listen to enough people.

If I could, I'd probably get a Wilson but that's a lot of coin for an occasional use item.

I have a Kimber Custom II that has been perfect but it's in 45acp. I was seriously considering buying a 10mm as well, but was looking at a Springfield Armory. At this point I'm holding off. They all seem to have some flaws if you listen to enough people.

If I could, I'd probably get a Wilson but that's a lot of coin for an occasional use item.

I think of 1911s a lot like Gibson Les Pauls. You pay more, you have to take some time and effort to get it to stay in tune, but once you do, you have a beautiful guitar.....that doesn’t play any better than a Schecter that cost 1/3 the price.

Gen273

WKR
I have several Kimber 1911’s, and I have never had a problem with one. I also have one in 10mm, it's a stainless target II, and it's a very accurate and reliable gun.

dla

WKR
I’ve had my eye on a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. I have a Glock 20 that I like but I also REALLY like all my 1911’s. The owner of one of my local gun shops really dislikes Kimber handguns, he stated that a huge percentage of them wind up having to be sent back to be re-worked (whatever that means) to cycle correctly. Figured I’d ask here for any feedback that any of you all may have, good or bad to help me make the decision on buying one or not.
Kimber makes more 1911s than anyone else. In fact, if you could break out Sig's 1911s from their pistol sales, you might discover than Kimber makes more 1911s than everyone else combined.
When you ship so many pistols, problems are going to slip through. People love to complain on forums, and forum posts live on well beyond relevance. And of course there are those who regurgitate what they read while lacking first-hand experience.
I'm sure Ed Brown would be happy to take your $4k for one of their pistols. Dan Wesson will happily take your $1500 for one of their pistols. And Kimber will sell you one for $800.
I own two Kimbers and I have no complaints. But I don't have any experience with 10mm 1911s.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I throw some love towards the Springfield Ronin for a lower priced 10mm 1911. Only thing I would change is it being bobbed but at $850 I think it has great value. And Wilson or Wesson is better but they should be. Good luck I am already looking for my second 1911 because they are addicting.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber makes more 1911s than anyone else. In fact, if you could break out Sig's 1911s from their pistol sales, you might discover than Kimber makes more 1911s than everyone else combined.
When you ship so many pistols, problems are going to slip through. People love to complain on forums, and forum posts live on well beyond relevance. And of course there are those who regurgitate what they read while lacking first-hand experience.
I'm sure Ed Brown would be happy to take your $4k for one of their pistols. Dan Wesson will happily take your $1500 for one of their pistols. And Kimber will sell you one for $800.
I own two Kimbers and I have no complaints. But I don't have any experience with 10mm 1911s.
Yes you can get a base unit for $800 but many are 1200 plus and they even sell them around 2k.