Thinking of a new sleeping bag

Jakerex

WKR
Feathered Friends Puffin or Western Mountaineering Sequoia? Any other similar bags worth looking at? I’m not interested in a quilt.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think you would find a lot of difference between FF or WM, they both make great bags. I own a few bags from both and wouldn't hesitate to buy from either company again. Even when I have needed repairs both companies have been great to deal with. I would add Cumulus equipment to the mix, just got a puffy and a bag from them prior to this hunting season and I have been very impressed with the quality of both. However, seeing that you're looking at semi-rectangular bags I am not sure if Cumulus makes something comparable.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Can anyone else compare?

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I was holding out for a WM bag but ended up buying a stone glacier 15 degree off the classifieds here. That’s another great bag you could consider.

Outside

FNG
Can’t speak to the FF bag, but I’ve used a WM Sequoia on several hunts. I sleep cold and the bag has been more than enough down to 15ish degrees. Because of the size and shape it’s very comfortable but still compresses down pretty well. It’s been my go to for late season hunts unless I’m backpacking for several days, for those hunts I take a lighter mummy style bag from WM.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Be doing yourself a disservice not to check out Cumulus. I've got a WM bag, have slept in FF bags, and both are excellent. What neither offers is is customization. Cumulus does, and uses the same materials as FF. You can get custom colors, pick your material, down fill amount, percentage of down fill on top and bottom of bag, size etc. Best thing is they're still less expensive than either WM or FF. I'm all for US made gear, but neither WM or FF are using domestic down. It's all imported... most of it from Poland. Just another option to consider.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Be doing yourself a disservice not to check out Cumulus. I've got a WM bag, have slept in FF bags, and both are excellent. What neither offers is is customization. Cumulus does, and uses the same materials as FF. You can get custom colors, pick your material, down fill amount, percentage of down fill on top and bottom of bag, size etc. Best thing is they're still less expensive than either WM or FF. I'm all for US made gear, but neither WM or FF are using domestic down. It's all imported... most of it from Poland. Just another option to consider.

With WM every bag is infinitely customizable as far as down on top or bottom goes. They use continuous baffles. Slide your hand along the baffle to move down to top or bottom in any proportion. 👍😁

You can also get overfill in foot boxes or entire bags.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Based on my research the very best down in the world comes from Poland and that's why most of the top end companies use it. Am I mistaken?
Nope, that's where the majority of it comes from. Cumulus is based in Poland, they got it easy, they got access to down right at home lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
With WM every bag is infinitely customizable as far as down on top or bottom goes. They use continuous baffles. Slide your hand along the baffle to move down to top or bottom in any proportion.

You can also get overfill in foot boxes or entire bags.
Negative ghost rider, only some of the WM bags have continuous baffles. The zero degree and above bags are mostly continuous baffles, their negative rated bags are side block baffled to prevent down shift.

You can get overfill from the factory, but you can't pick ratios, bag dimensions, or zipper size and length, or materials. I have zero complaints on my WM bag, but my next one will be a custom spec bag from Cumulus.

Decker9

WKR
Taiga works out of Vancouver would be another worth looking at. I run both WM and Taiga, if I was to do it all over again I’d 100% go Taiga for both my bags. On par quality wise with WM at half the cost.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I know you're not interested in quilts, and I wasn't either but some of them can function exactly like a sleeping bag. I bought a down 0 deg Enlightened Equipment "Convert" that I've used in the 20's zipped up as a sleepingbag or as a blanket in the summer months. I went this route because I didn't want a summer and winter bag and I don't like being restricted to a mummy bag, unless there's a reason. Worth a look IMO.

Negative ghost rider, only some of the WM bags have continuous baffles. The zero degree and above bags are mostly continuous baffles, their negative rated bags are side block baffled to prevent down shift.

You can get overfill from the factory, but you can't pick ratios, bag dimensions, or zipper size and length, or materials. I have zero complaints on my WM bag, but my next one will be a custom spec bag from Cumulus.

Soooo, the vast majority of their bags (all but 4 out of 34 models) have continuous baffles. 😁

I didn't know about the negative bags. 👍

Last edited:

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the other recommending the Stone Glacier Chilkoot. Plenty of space in the shoulder and foot box so that you don’t feel like you’re crammed in a mummy bag. The bag is also very warm and is a little underrated for its temp rating IMO.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d agree can’t go wrong with either FF or WM. What I would recommend is compare carefully the models you’re looking at. Check the amount of fill, carefully check the dimensions- shoulder/hip/foot, weight and fabric.

That way you can compare apples to apples.

schmalzy

WKR
I agree with the other recommending the Stone Glacier Chilkoot. Plenty of space in the shoulder and foot box so that you don’t feel like you’re crammed in a mummy bag. The bag is also very warm and is a little underrated for its temp rating IMO.

Count me in as well. Have owned both, build quality on SG seems to be right up there. 0 degree SG bag is a winner for me for both cut and warmth.

Timely thread. I’m looking to upgrade my Nemo Riff. I love the features but the 15 degree rating is extremely optimistic. I’ve been leaning towards the SG Chilkoot due to being impressed with every SG product I’ve tried. Lots of food for thought in the thread though.