Thinking of making a change

I’d just keep my 28 nosler.

I understand his point. But I was only saying I couldn’t get to a big range a ton to develop a load. However, I go to that big range and shoot out to 700 yards about once a month. So I’m not a stranger to shooting that far. But it cost an arm and a leg with my 28 nosler. Which is why I started this thread in the first place

You're on the right track then. You don't need to shoot at distance to develop a load either, many good bullets like to be seated about the same distance from the lands and a great chrono will give you all the data you need. I've developed loads shooting over a magnetospeed into a dirt pile at pissing distance to find the the node, loaded in the middle of it and gone out and stacked rounds on top of one another at distance.

One rifle and load that you train with and know like the back of your hand is damn effective.

Nards444

FNG
Can’t say I’ve seen a lot of PRC of either. If ammo availability is important creedmore and 300 win mag is what I would do

Agross

WKR
I picked up a 300 prc on here a while back and absolutely love it. All I’ve used is Hornady eldx and it shoots great.

OP
Deano0686

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t say I’ve seen a lot of PRC of either. If ammo availability is important creedmore and 300 win mag is what I would do
Gun broker has a ton. But yea creed and winnmag are definitely always available. Good point

Nards444

FNG
I picked up a 300 prc on here a while back and absolutely love it. All I’ve used is Hornady eldx and it shoots great.
right. But it’s not widely available by store or internet. If he’s going for easy availability there are better options

OP
Deano0686

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
You're on the right track then. You don't need to shoot at distance to develop a load either, many good bullets like to be seated about the same distance from the lands and a great chrono will give you all the data you need. I've developed loads shooting over a magnetospeed into a dirt pile at pissing distance to find the the node, loaded in the middle of it and gone out and stacked rounds on top of one another at distance.

One rifle and load that you train with and know like the back of your hand is damn effective.
And I get that. I just don’t wanna do it. I’d rather shoot a very accurate factory ammo caliber, which is why my research brought me to the prc’s

Nards444

FNG
I bought a 300wsm for out west as I liked the numbers on it. Scope with custom turret etc. now days though it’s so hard to find the ammo, the kind I have dialed in to the gun haven’t been made in 18 months.
Going back I probably would have put together a rifle using 30.06 in a 150 grain. Can just about find ammo anywhere still

jimh406

WKR
Sounds like entertainment to me although that's not a problem.

There isn't a huge advantage unless you plan to shoot any of them a lot. If so, maybe consider a 308 or other caliber that has cheaper ammo.

Agross

WKR
right. But it’s not widely available by store or internet. If he’s going for easy availability there are better options
Read the last three lines of his first post. And not sure about in stores, but on the internet, I would consider it somewhat, widely available Yes there are more widely available options, but he asked about the 300 prc.

id450

WKR
Just get a 30-06. Best of Both worlds. If you really want a second , get a 6.5 or a 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I get that. I just don’t wanna do it. I’d rather shoot a very accurate factory ammo caliber, which is why my research brought me to the prc’s

You don't need to load your own ammo to shoot long range. You do need good factory ammo availability though with the PRC's just currently do not have. Hornady's factory ammo is not that consistent, I currently have 5 different lots of ELD-X 143gr and only two of them shoot well. I've gotten bad lots of their ELD-M ammo too. One lot of 147gr ELD-M 6.5 CM the bullets were going poof about 500 yards out witnessed by several spotters at a PRS match and others had the same issue.

It all circles back to 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 having far better ammo availability, lower ammo costs, better barrel life, and less recoil while still being perfectly suitable for the game you're hunting.

If you have it in your head that you need a PRC then go for it, but you're better off with the creed or 308.

Nards444

FNG
Read the last three lines of his first post. And not sure about in stores, but on the internet, I would consider it somewhat, widely available Yes there are more widely available options, but he asked about the 300 prc.
I get that, but what’s he’s asking for isn’t easy. Long range equals good ammo. Just better options in terms of getting good ammo easier that are out there

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Go 300 win mag your splitting hairs with the 300 PRC in performance and are open to great ammo options.

Mojave

WKR
I vote for the 7mm PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor (or 6mm Creedmoor).

Not understanding your lack of desire to handload.

Mojave

WKR
I vote for the 7mm PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor (or 6mm Creedmoor).

Not understanding your lack of desire to handload.
Hell it could be a 308 and a 7mm PRC.

You need to learn how to set your rifle up, and you need practice shooting. The 308 is currently the cheapest adult caliber in America. That and it is a hammer on deer in the midwest.

If you are not going to be a handloader, and you are bitching about the cost of ammo. Get a 308.

If you like your 28N you could rebarrel it with several caliber options. May be cheaper IDK. I personally went 7PRC but that is the ford chevy thing.

Do whatever you think will make you happier. You can always undo it And go another direction.
Personally I stopped stressing and spending money on different rifles to have access to ammo.
Instead of spending money on new rifles I spent the money on stock piling 5-7 years of my favorite
loads for my rifles I have. If your not happy with your 28 nosler rifle and just want something different then have at it. But if your only reason is ammo and you love your rifle then solve the ammo problem.

I went thru this mental masterbation with one of my favorite rifles , a 7mm08. I got to worrying about ammo availability when I got down to 3 boxes and got interested in a new 6.5 cm. I held off just long enough to find a good supply of 7mm08 ammo. I bought 10 boxes. Enough to last thru many hunting seasons. When i get down to 5 then I will buy more.

Hunt with rifles you love and are as close to 100% happy with As you can get. You will be a happy contented hunter.

Just curious, I would like to know if anyone ever was unable to hunt because they ran out of ammo.
Seems like we stress about a lot of things.

Last edited:

id450

WKR
I read his message again. He doesn’t state he wants to shoot long range. He says he wants a gun powerful enough for elk and mule deer and light enough for antelope and whitetails etc…. Im not sure why the prc is on the mind. I think the 30-06 is the best round out there for a all around western hunting cartridge. It’s all about ballistics, energy , speed and getting that bullet open. . A 30-06, 308 fit the bill perfect with a 6.5cm right there as well. All readily available ammo. The difference is to understand is the ballistic factors listed above . For example on my 30-06 I would never shoot an elk past 350 or so, my 308 or 6.5 I’ll keep it under 300. This keeps the bullets moving at least 1200fps Hitting with 1800ft pounds. I run a Barnes usually , if memory is correct they open up in the area of 1600 ( they publish) to 2000 LRx vs TTSX & tsx. Where as a hornady copper bullet with that zinc plate had to be moving 2200fps. For me that’s a bjg impact in my ballistics safety net.
Look at your realistic ranges, ammo availability and most important what you can enjoy shooting from a comfort standpoint for quality practice. I had a 300wm for a short time, overkill for my situation in all situations. Hope that opinion helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk