Thinking of trying a quilt for Machu Picchu

boom

WKR
My wife has a crappy bag. She loves my western mountaineering bag. I kinda want to buy her an Apache 15 deg bag. She thinks I should get a quilt and she use my bag. I think my bag is too big and she’ll get cold. She wants to save money.

Gah. Too many options.

colonel00

WKR
So lost here :) So what bag do you have that you want her to use? Edit - temp rating?

I don't think that a little extra room in a bag will cause issues. I might be wrong but to me, that's just more warm air inside the bag that your body is warming.

If you really just want to try a quilt for a trip, send me a PM. I have 2 10* EE quilts and a 30* one as well. We can work something out where you could use one on a trial basis. Just bring me back some cool idol from Machu Picchu :D

Owenst7

WKR
The wife wants YOU to get more gear, and you haven't done it yet? Haha

I've never had "too much" space in a mummy cut to where I got cold spots, and I'm a pretty slender build guy.

OP
B

boom

WKR
So lost here :) So what bag do you have that you want her to use? Edit - temp rating?

:D

you are correct..my post sucked ans was confusing. sorry.
but yes..i was asking if extra air space was gonna cool my 20 degree bag down too much for her.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I would expect that as long as the expected temps don't reach the limits of what the bag is rated for, she would be fine. I am a skinny guy and a cold sleeper and I am using a WM Kodiak. I have never been cold in that bag. It is roomier than my other two bags and it is warmer than the other two. The WM is rated to 0 degrees, the other two are rated to 0 and -15 degrees. I have never had it down to 0 degrees yet, but I have had it down to 15 degrees and stayed warm with only boxers on. I would be too cold to sleep at 20 degrees with my other 0 degree bag even with clothes and a puffy on.

Owenst7

WKR
you are correct..my post sucked ans was confusing. sorry.
but yes..i was asking if extra air space was gonna cool my 20 degree bag down too much for her.

I think it's more of an issue with the giant square cut synthetic bags. I'm not sure if it's just because they're huge, or because the synthetic insulation has a much greater thermal capacity than down and draws a lot of heat from your body to reach your temperature. I don't think the way a quality down bag lays over your body would allow a whole lot of dead air space either way though.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
The extra room, unless it is a massive amount (I am picturing my 6 year son in my 20 degree bag - 45 inch tall kid in a 78 inch bag = way too much extra space to heat up!) it won't cause an issue with being cold, etc.
The opposite problem can cause issues -- if the bag is too short, and you are basically bottoming out the footbox (feet pressed up against it tightly) I have found that issue is worse, and creates cold spots due to the compressed insulation not creating air pockets.

Regarding a quilt, test drive the quilt via the offer of Colonel00; I recently upgraded to an EE 0° bag, and it is warm, light and comfortable. I am a side sleeper, and toss and turn a bit at night. No issues in the quilt.
Also, your sleeping pad plays heavily into the equation of staying warm in variable conditions -- based on the nighttime temps, be sure to have a good pad with a good R value to boost the overall sleep system.

colonel00

WKR
Got your PM but the offer still stands.

Also, one thing that you might try is to have her put some extra clothing in the bag to take up some of that dead space. I still don't think it will be an issue though. I have a square footed "mummy" bag that I like to use at times (as I hate regular mummy bags). I'm not the smallest guy and it's fine with me and my wife has used it as well with no issues.

Overall, I think of it just like a comforter on your bed, it still keeps you plenty warm even with all of the extra space.