Thinking out side the Box

Jimbob

WKR
I would rather hunt small animals than take photos of trophy animals. But I would rather take photos of animals than do nothing at all.

When I lived in Ontario I was always out calling moose in September. I don't know if there is anything more enjoyable than being in the woods and interacting with wild animals, photography allows you to do this. I have called in so many bull moose and I loved every second of it, sometimes I got photos and sometimes I just interacted with them. It's the reason I feel very confident calling moose because I practiced it every year.

LW6eNsl.jpg

87TT

WKR
Suppose it catches on, then nobody gets the experience. Legal yes, proper and courteous no. JMO

The thing to think about is how the people who have the once in a lifetime tag would like to have someone come up on a buck they were stalking on and mess up their hunt for a picture.

Most of the areas that are very hard to draw have abundant populations. Plenty of animals to go around. Using a proper lens to allow photographing from a distance away from the animal, there would likely be no issue. Regardless, users of all types have every right to be on federal land. A serious downside of point systems with long draw times is that people have to look elsewhere for their hunting satisfaction. That's why you have approximately 28 spotters and tag-alongs for every Utah limited entry tag holder.

87TT

WKR
The OP was talking about "stalking " them into bow range. Yes he has the right and so do the antis that want to go into the woods to mess up your hunt. Doesn't make it proper or courteous to the tag holders.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I dont see it being satisfying at all, and I love taking wildlife pictures. I see it as completely different.

IMO the kill is what plugs me into the food chain and makes hunting what it is. "Hunting" without the intention of killing would never satisfy that deep down innate desire for me.

BTW, you can do a high country deer hunt with your bow every year! Lots of great hunts out there you dont need points for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Most of the areas that are very hard to draw have abundant populations. Plenty of animals to go around. Using a proper lens to allow photographing from a distance away from the animal, there would likely be no issue. Regardless, users of all types have every right to be on federal land. A serious downside of point systems with long draw times is that people have to look elsewhere for their hunting satisfaction. That's why you have approximately 28 spotters and tag-alongs for every Utah limited entry tag holder.
Is 28 all? I thought it had to be 35 or more by state law.....

Is 28 all? I thought it had to be 35 or more by state law.....

Haha yeah.

And you aren't really trying until you've parked sideways on a public road to block people. Multiple outfitters using that trick. Honestly so bad you have to be a little impressed but really it just makes you sick what people in Utah especially will do.

fatlander

WKR
Don’t most states have wildlife harassment laws as well as interfering with others hunts? I know my home state does.

For instance, if you went out without an elk tag and called elk in that could be considered wildlife harassment. It could also be considered disturbing someone else’s hunt given the “right” situation. Just food for thought and something to consider. Anyone that has a once in a lifetime tag and it’s interrupted by someone with a camera may be very likely to try anything to get back at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A law against animal photography? No. Some of you guys need to chill out a bit. Might as well make mountain biking and hiking in trophy units illegal as well.

fatlander

WKR
A law against animal photography? No. Some of you guys need to chill out a bit. Might as well make mountain biking and hiking in trophy units illegal as well.

Read what I wrote again, slow down, and comprehend.

I never said taking pictures was illegal. I don’t even know if there are wild life harassment laws in every state.

I laid out what was already mentioned in this thread; calling elk, during elk season while not in possession of a tag nor in service of someone with a tag. That would be wild life harassment.

Knowingly disturbing someone else’s hunt is a criminal offense in many states. I simply let the OP know that fact. People get really upset over big antlers. If I was out taking wildlife photos while people were hunting on OIL tags, I would full and well expect to have someone blow their top at least once which may lead to them resorting to filing a criminal complaint.

FWIW if I wanted to see beautiful places and very mature animals, I’d go take pictures in national parks. . .

Read what I wrote again, slow down, and comprehend.

I never said taking pictures was illegal. I don’t even know if there are wild life harassment laws in every state.

I laid out what was already mentioned in this thread; calling elk, during elk season while not in possession of a tag nor in service of someone with a tag. That would be wild life harassment.

Knowingly disturbing someone else’s hunt is a criminal offense in many states. I simply let the OP know that fact. People get really upset over big antlers. If I was out taking wildlife photos while people were hunting on OIL tags, I would full and well expect to have someone blow their top at least once which may lead to them resorting to filing a criminal complaint.

FWIW if I wanted to see beautiful places and very mature animals, I’d go take pictures in national parks. . .

I'm fully aware of what you said. Some people like yourself might freak out, yep. There's just going to be somewhat of a disagreement on whether a hard to draw unit means everyone needs to stay away from observing those animals. For deer and elk where there's a lot of those animals in trophy areas, and assuming OP doesn't get too close and respects any hunters he sees in the area, he should not have any problems.

Depending on the circumstances, if egregious enough, it could rise to harassment but that would take some serious pursuit. Consider that wildlife photography is permitted on federal land. You can go get those photos and get in range to do so.

OP
M
The point I am trying to get at is trying to enjoy these once in a lifetime type hunts with or with out a tag. Would there be a big enough reward of just taking a picture.

I drew a few years ago a very hard late season tag. I had never really experienced the mule deer rut as I was use to deer season being over by October and the off to upland bird hunting during the winter. Anyways I spent a few scouting trips in the unit and had a blast. I saw things that I had never experienced before with rutting deer. I got some great video of deer kicking the crap out of each other. Took some pretty good pictures. Now I had a tag for the unit and it was close to home but man I cant believe I had never just drove up there before and experienced it. If I had not gotten the tag I would have missed out on a heck of experience.

Not sure on the harassing wildlife thing. I cant see taking pictures of nature as harassment.

My biggest thing would be ruining someone else's hunt. I would not try and compete with someone on a animal.

Now if I add the time off, money and travel to another state I wonder if it would worth it.

I will never draw a 4th season Colorado unit 44 tag so does that mean I should never be able to experience the huge bucks of Colorado in the full rut. I think life is about experience and enjoying nature.

Now if I can have a tag in my pocket even better. Like I said I will still be hunting OTC and easier to get tags to go to great places in the West.

fatlander

WKR
I'm fully aware of what you said. Some people like yourself might freak out, yep. There's just going to be somewhat of a disagreement on whether a hard to draw unit means everyone needs to stay away from observing those animals. For deer and elk where there's a lot of those animals in trophy areas, and assuming OP doesn't get too close and respects any hunters he sees in the area, he should not have any problems.

Depending on the circumstances, if egregious enough, it could rise to harassment but that would take some serious pursuit. Consider that wildlife photography is permitted on federal land. You can go get those photos and get in range to do so.

I never once said I would blow my top. Your prejudgements about me are laughable. I just know how people, in general, are.

Going around and “hunting” with a camera in a premier unit is just asking for trouble in my honest opinion. That’s what the OP asked for. Even if you’re not actively messing someone’s hunt up today, you’re adding undo pressure on the animals. And the fact that you’re a hunter, not a crunchy riding a mountain bike makes you even more likely to encounter and booger up these animals.

Yeah. I think this line of reasoning is mainly symptomatic of not actually elk hunting. Once you start elk hunting you’ll come around pretty quick the whole idea that your free time is better spent scouting and hunting your places IE the ones you cannand will hunt than it is taking pictures of animals ina unit you won’t ever draw. All those theoretical photos of the theoretical 380s you are imagining in units you can’t draw don’t hold a candle to the 280s you can find and kill annually in multiple states. Hell they don’t even stack up with real raghorns and spikes. They may as well not even exist they are so irrelevant. You’ll come to realize The only relevant elk are the ones in YOUR AO.

Rich M

WKR
What would YOU do if you waited 20-25 years for that tag and some dude with an elk call and a camera messes things up for you? You just can't get/have that time or opportunity back.

OP is looking for the thrill of the hunt - and "trophy" animals. Maybe volunteer to help someone on their hunt? Experience the thrill with someone, help 'em out and learn stuff?

My biggest thing would be ruining someone else's hunt. I would not try and compete with someone on a animal.
[/QUOTE
Using your example of CO gmu 44 4th season, you could start the day after the season ended right? The rut would be peaking and the hunters would be gone and you would have the place to yourself. Who knows you might catch a poacher on film? I am in no way telling you to stay out of the woods during the season, nor would i say that to a mountain biker or hiker. We all have the right to be there doing what we love so long as it is legal. However I do think in your scenario, where you would likely be leaving a trail system specifically to get closer to animals other people could be hunting, it would be courteous to do this after the hunting season. If you do, please share the photos! We all want to see some big deer that made it through all of the seasons! They are the smart ones and likely the biggest.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Plenty of folks in Unit 9 in AZ archery elk season doing what you propose....at least there were the last time I was there. Calling elk with their young kids, screwing around with those elk in the rut.

Add to that^...in U9 you get big groups of guys with only one guy actually having the tag.

You mean, like every LE unit in Utah? Lol 10 tags, 200 people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jrokslide

FNG
What would YOU do if you waited 20-25 years for that tag and some dude with an elk call and a camera messes things up for you? You just can't get/have that time or opportunity back.

Maybe volunteer to help someone on their hunt? Experience the thrill with someone, help 'em out and learn stuff?

Definitely would not want to mess it up for someone else, also volunteering could be a good idea

Jcannon06

FNG
According to Meateater, we don't have enough hunters so maybe go get your non-white friends and head off into some public land and try to snap a pic of a trophy without pressuring someone else's hunt lol. Who has saved up years of points to accommodate.