Thinking puffy thoughts

snowplow

WKR
I have a first lite uncompagre. Lots of times l wish it has been just a tad warmer. Seriously thinking of switching to a kifaru full zip parka.

It looks like weight is about the same. Are there any downsides l need to know about?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
The new Chamberlain from FL is one of the most comfy jackets I've put on, and warmth is amazing. Warmth to weight ratio lower than any others out there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Kifaru LPP feels like your upper half is in a sleeping bag. It is warm. It doesn't compress as small as other puffys, but a compressible dry bag gets it to be reasonable. For a late season hunt I am taking the LPP.

R_burg

WKR
My Arcteryx Cerium LT is 10 oz vs the jackets in the mid 20's mentioned here, and can be had for 250 on sale pretty easily if I recall. I paid ~180 last yr when they were changing colors.

For a puffy, I couldnt care less about camo as long as its not a color that sticks out to an ungulate. Its not anything I wear as an outerlayer unless I'm sitting in camp.

Last edited:
Check out Luke's comparison on this website. He does a great job of comparing these two, the Kuiu and another.

I have the FL and the Kifaru. Both are great but the Kifaru is the warmest jacket I have ever owned. I use the FL if it might get cold. I use the Kifaru when I know it will be cold.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Just how cold do you need the jacket to support you, what layers are you planning on wearing under or over, and in a range of Hot/Middle/Cold where does your body run?

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I have the uncompahgre too. I sometimes combine it with a mountain hardwear down vest. The vest is 8oz. and adds a lot of warmth to your core. It's a good combo.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Just how cold do you need the jacket to support you, what layers are you planning on wearing under or over, and in a range of Hot/Middle/Cold where does your body run?
Im like the post above.

Usually wear llano, chama, peloton 240 as my main gear. But if its in the 20s or sitting in the 30s l put on my uncomp. Its always been ok but l wish it was a bit warmer. I am realizing l run on the cold side. I thought about adding a puffy vest under it but then realized the Kifaru was basically the same weight and a lot warmer. When I get to Camp I want to warm up not just be warm enough barely.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I got the kuiu yukon rain jacket last year but havent really tried it much yet. How much warmth does something like that add to a puffy?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the kuiu yukon rain jacket last year but havent really tried it much yet. How much warmth does something like that add to a puffy?

Definitely helps seal out drafts and holds a little more body heat.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider

All depends on the wind.

Have you considered an ultralight down jacket to replace the unpronouncable and a shell? Patagucci's are surprisingly warm and come in at a whole 9 oz. 800 fill down. I have one from Rab that I've owned for years. 10.2 oz, never leaves the pack. If I need bomb proof, I carry the First Lite SEAK jacket. If I need ultralight, i carry my Outdoor Research Helium II. But the down jacket never leaves the lineup. I've been tempted to try a down vest. . but the weight savings (3 oz in my case) just doesn't seem to be enough when I think about pre-dawn glassing sits on a mountain.

All that to say, if you wanna stay super warm and don't care about the weight. . . just buy the Chamberlain. It's a damn furnace.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a first lite uncompagre. Lots of times l wish it has been just a tad warmer. Seriously thinking of switching to a kifaru full zip parka.

It looks like weight is about the same. Are there any downsides l need to know about?

What are you using it for and what are you putting under and over it?

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I use it for deer and elk hunting here in western wa. I usuallu wear llano, chama, peloton 240 as my main gear. But if its in the 20s or sitting in the 30s l put on my uncomp. Its always been ok but l wish it was a bit warmer. I am realizing l run on the cold side. I thought about adding a puffy vest under it but then realized the Kifaru was basically the same weight and a lot warmer. Theres been lots of times lve hunted with it on over my marino. But when its really cold around here (20s) l think its adequate but not much more. I like the idea of something that will heat me up if lm soaked and take a chill or make enough heat to dry me out. Or bail me out on an overnighter where im too cold.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I use it for deer and elk hunting here in western wa. I usuallu wear llano, chama, peloton 240 as my main gear. But if its in the 20s or sitting in the 30s l put on my uncomp. Its always been ok but l wish it was a bit warmer. I am realizing l run on the cold side. I thought about adding a puffy vest under it but then realized the Kifaru was basically the same weight and a lot warmer. Theres been lots of times lve hunted with it on over my marino. But when its really cold around here (20s) l think its adequate but not much more. I like the idea of something that will heat me up if lm soaked and take a chill or make enough heat to dry me out. Or bail me out on an overnighter where im too cold.

While I don't spend a lot of time hunting W Washington, I spend a lot of time in the cascades all months of the year. If that's what you're speaking, to, I wonder if a simple shell over your unpronounceable wouldn't be enough to get you those last few degrees of warmth. Are you actively hunting or sitting in a stand or blind calling/rattling/waiting? I have experienced very few deer and elk hunts in the cascades where it's gotten lower than 20 degrees (but I sure was glad I packed in a titanium stove those mornings!).

JP100

WKR
If you want a a good warmth to weight ratio and packability the Kifaru LPP is not the jacket you want, if your not worried about weight/size then its a good option I think.

Have only had mine maybe 2 months(its Winter here now) and I have worn it alot, pretty warm. Only down side I dont like its its kinda 'shiny' looking, and not a very good fashion statement haha. it is pretty bulky and kind of 'ugly' haha, but its warm and blocks wind well.

If your after good packability and warmth for weight, down is still king. Plenty of options out there for good down, Mont bell, RAB, Marmot etc..

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Id like synthetic. Its about the same weight as what l currently have but warmer.

Unless you find it not warm enough the majority of the time, IMO you’d have more flexibility adding a down vest or another lightweight mid layer (non-puffy).