This Happened To Me - 2022

You probably did hit him in the >........right on the apex of it.....the knuckle. Sure sounds like that. Been there, done that, don't want the T-shirt.......it sucks. I've blown through shoulder blades, humerus bones, and of course ribs with mechanicals without any issues, but I'm not getting through that knuckle even with a fixed blade.
Word on the street is, 650gr arrow with 20% foc (19% don’t work) and a 3:1 single bevel, you just aim for the thickest bone in that puppy and send it 😂

More good news, you won’t have to shoot 80# anymore, apparently draw weight is not part of this equation… if you can get your arrow to the elk, stem to stern penetration every time.

The guy who verified all of this is an eye doctor, so you know the info is legit😉 Biden’s fact checkers also verified, and they are solid (obviously, they work for the president)

Bluesage

FNG
What was the surgery and when are the tags? you can likely still hunt. My second back surgery was first week of August about 10 years ago, I was deer hunting the last week of September. By deer hunting I mean sitting under a tree hoping a deer walked by. You will just have to adapt (get some help from buddies). Not going to be packing any elk quarters or loading deer in the truck by yourself.

It actually cost me my biggest blacktail. One of those days under that tree I sat down next to a bedded buck that I didn't know was there. After sitting there for 20 minutes it finally stood up like 30 yards away but I actually couldn't twist to shoot. I had to put my gun down, roll over to my stomach, do a push up and try to shoot it as it was running away. All bad

I was duck hunting relatively unencumbered by November.
Discotomy on 3 discs with some pretty bad nerve damage. Two tags are Archery hunts that End Friday. Pending Dr. Approval I might be able to get the third one filled October rifle deer. Outside of that I will try and fill up time with Some bird hunting the rest of the year. Also missing my Brothers LE elk hunt that starts Saturday. But life goes on.

Went hunting before work with two buddies this morning. We laid eyes on a couple cows on the other side of a narrow drainage then I proceeded to slip and break my fibula and take a chunk out of my tibula. We made a makeshift splint and thanks to trekking poles made it up about 80 vertical feet to an old road bed. Then my buddies worked their asses off to get me two miles back to the truck. The break happened around 9am and finally got off the mountain around 5:30pm. My season is done and I am forever indebted to a couple great friends…overall great day, got to skip work and we had a lot of laughs on the way down the mountain. I have my fingers crossed they both get great bulls this year.

Not me but this year on a stalk my buddy’s reliable release of 10+ years locked tight on him on the stalk. So i got to sneak up and shoot it instead. He later fixed it. We chalked it up to the dust since were easterners. It was just a little buck but he got to shoot a white tail two days later.

ID_Matt

WKR
First weekend, 90+ degrees and zero elk movement besides the 2 lost cows that got spooked by our camp and decided to run towards my perfectly flat napping spot. I woke to what sounded like an earthquake just in time to duck as they both jumped over the top of me and my sleeping pad. Would have been hard to believe I got knocked out by a cow elk knee to the face.....

Second weekend, got to the trailhead at 11:00 PM, woke at 5:00 AM, bull dead at 8:30 AM, back to the truck at 9:30 PM with the last load, home at 11:00.... hell of a 24 hours. Always amazes me how it can all change in seconds. Had 4 bulls come in to my cow calls at once and essentially had my pick of which one to shoot.

@KickinNDishin was not present so MY touchless method was unavailable.

I use the thumb pinch method, I am unaware of an alternative.

Basically, I pinch the wipe as per normal procedure and reached around my glutes to get to the poo. Immediately prior to venturing between my cheeks, where presumably some refuge from the breeze existed, the breeze blew and the wipe folded over. This was unexpected and I was not prepared for an immediate and hasty abort.

This is the goal. I have added a target for clarity.
View attachment 451830

Since I was unaware that the wipe folded over in the breeze, my mind followed through with the intention of being on target. I have illustrated for clarity.
View attachment 451831

In the future I will be more careful when wiping when a breeze is about.
Not much better than a good poop story. Good stuff.

svivian

WKR
First weekend, 90+ degrees and zero elk movement besides the 2 lost cows that got spooked by our camp and decided to run towards my perfectly flat napping spot. I woke to what sounded like an earthquake just in time to duck as they both jumped over the top of me and my sleeping pad. Would have been hard to believe I got knocked out by a cow elk knee to the face.....

Second weekend, got to the trailhead at 11:00 PM, woke at 5:00 AM, bull dead at 8:30 AM, back to the truck at 9:30 PM with the last load, home at 11:00.... hell of a 24 hours. Always amazes me how it can all change in seconds. Had 4 bulls come in to my cow calls at once and essentially had my pick of which one to shoot.
Im sorry where did you say this was again? :LOL:

Wapiti1

WKR
@KickinNDishin was not present so MY touchless method was unavailable.

I use the thumb pinch method, I am unaware of an alternative.

Basically, I pinch the wipe as per normal procedure and reached around my glutes to get to the poo. Immediately prior to venturing between my cheeks, where presumably some refuge from the breeze existed, the breeze blew and the wipe folded over. This was unexpected and I was not prepared for an immediate and hasty abort.

This is the goal. I have added a target for clarity.
View attachment 451830

Since I was unaware that the wipe folded over in the breeze, my mind followed through with the intention of being on target. I have illustrated for clarity.
View attachment 451831

In the future I will be more careful when wiping when a breeze is about.
Modify to the thumb pinch, pinky tuck hold. My pinky is pretty useless most of the time, but in this situation a tuck of tush tack cloth between the pinky and ring finger is my go to. The three real fingers are going to do the digging work anyway.

Where I fail is in the location and angle of either the land below or the drop. Bouncing a turd off my boot is not an uncommon occurrence I am sorry to say. That and I typically have a short time to get settled before things get real. Location choice is typically a bit rushed.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
I derailed my bow last week. Haven't done that before. It's back in working order, but I still don't know how I did it.

Hopefully, this is my only story of the year.

Jeremy

sndmn11

WKR
Modify to the thumb pinch, pinky tuck hold. My pinky is pretty useless most of the time, but in this situation a tuck of tush tack cloth between the pinky and ring finger is my go to. The three real fingers are going to do the digging work anyway.

Where I fail is in the location and angle of either the land below or the drop. Bouncing a turd off my boot is not an uncommon occurrence I am sorry to say. That and I typically have a short time to get settled before things get real. Location choice is typically a bit rushed.

Jeremy
Can you take a picture of this trickery?!?!

11boo

WKR
This thread has taken a weird turn. Fortunately, I have not had any issues yet, and don’t really need any guidance on personal hygiene.

I suppose my throne could fail, and cause all sorts of problems. I will hope for the best and hope Cnelk heals rapidly.

0AC2FFB2-EACC-45C3-82CB-2E95643033D2.jpeg

Went hunting before work with two buddies this morning. We laid eyes on a couple cows on the other side of a narrow drainage then I proceeded to slip and break my fibula and take a chunk out of my tibula. We made a makeshift splint and thanks to trekking poles made it up about 80 vertical feet to an old road bed. Then my buddies worked their asses off to get me two miles back to the truck. The break happened around 9am and finally got off the mountain around 5:30pm. My season is done and I am forever indebted to a couple great friends…overall great day, got to skip work and we had a lot of laughs on the way down the mountain. I have my fingers crossed they both get great bulls this year.
Damn man, I truly feel for you, that sucks and is not how you want to spend elk season

Hope you heal up quickly and doesn’t cause you grief in the future

Damn man, I truly feel for you, that sucks and is not how you want to spend elk season

Hope you heal up quickly and doesn’t cause you grief in the future

Thank you, I appreciate it. That’s my big fear is not being able to do the things I love the way I want to do them anymore. Survived a plane wreck in Alaska a few years ago…this should be easy 👍

This thread has taken a weird turn. Fortunately, I have not had any issues yet, and don’t really need any guidance on personal hygiene.

I suppose my throne could fail, and cause all sorts of problems. I will hope for the best and hope Cnelk heals rapidly.

View attachment 452548
If it does fail, the tp getting blown off the finger skit will seem elementary 😉

When I was diving up in AK, we usually sat on the rail of the boat to go #2, usually uneventful… one morning, we are anchored in a bay on the west side of Dall island, we were just getting up and getting ready to get in the water, and my boss had to go to the bathroom, so I went in the cabin to give him some privacy

This morning it was blowing like 70kts, nasty January day in SE… a few minutes later he comes in cussing holding his jacket that is soaked, I asked what happened and he said he had to spray it off… I asked why?😂

He was on the down wind side of the boat of course, but apparently a well timed up draft gust of wind blew poo on the back of his jacket, haha… almost hard to picture how it even happened, but it did.

The rule of thumb after that was if it’s blowing over 50 and you have to go number 2, just use the inside head

hobbes

WKR
I dropped my bow on the trail a few days ago while hiking just before shooting light. I was holding it by the string and was trying to dig something out of my pocket and it just slipped over my fingers and fell maybe 2' landing front side down. I was pissed but didn't think it hurt anything. I looked it over in the dark and couldn't see a problem.

After hiking to the top, I took a short break and noticed the sight didn't look right. The pin housing was freely sliding around everywhere. "Son of a......why couldn't I have figured that out before hiking clear to the top.". I hiked back to the truck hoping I wouldn't run into elk.

That afternoon, while tightening it down I was having trouble keeping things tight when I noticed the crack. I believe the crack was already developing and I'd over tightened it to correct it without realizing it. I had to adjust everything a month or so ago when I changed my arrow set up and had to have done it then. You can see the bow in it. It's not always been that way and I've never done that before. I think the drop just finished something that I'd already started and it really showed up when I cranked down on it again. A first for me in over 30 years of bowhunting. I did drop a bow out of a tree stand when I was a teenager. :) That didn't hurt a thing, but those were different set ups in those days.

Black Gold Rush, 5 pin, nothing fancy. The warranty will cover the cracked piece but I didn't have time to order or drive to pick up, so I bought a new sight.
IMG_20220914_092517575.jpg

IMG_20220914_092529147.jpg