Those 12ga blank perimeter trip wire things

The Instagram clickbait got me. Headed to grizz country for some fishing with my boy in a couple weeks. Areas we have been in before but may camp in some more remote areas, higher, with higher likelihood of running into bears. I honestly sleep like chit when he's with me because I am acutely aware that I am solely responsible for his well-being, a responsibility that probably drives more emotion than logic. To that end, I'm thinking of using those trip wire devices with a 12 gauge blank shell as a perimeter alarm. Not necessarily because I think it'll deter a bear, but more because (assuming I believe it works) I can rest easy knowing I'll get a wake-up call.

So what say you? Anyone ever used one? Anyone ever been woken up by one going off?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Get an electronic bear fence. Blanks can still cause injury to a person and I would be hesitant to use them around a camp with a kid. Also, a 12 ga blank waking you up for a small animal going through your camp is the most likely outcome.

tuffcity

WKR
I have a pack alarm that I sometimes take. Bought it so the wife would sleep better at night when I introduced her to back country hunting. Light, doesn't take up much space and loud as hell when it goes off. If it's triggered the noise is a real motivator to get out of bag and see what set it off!

Not gonna lie, thinking about them for our Moose camp this year. Seems cheap and easy, not sure what they may do other than just waking me up. Not sure how much an electric bear fence is, but may look into it just to know.

eamyrick

WKR
Camped on a remote river and fished for a week 2 years ago. Grizz everywhere. Had tracks through camp at night and saw bears everyday. Never had a worry in the tent. Was much more concerned busting one out of a bed while bushwhacking to a new spot.

Used them on a Wyoming hunt. They seem great, until you forget at 2am to pee and just about piss yourself when you trip the perimeter. That was a fun wake up on the last day.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
The electric fence is a better option IMO. Saw some guys using one in Wy and they said they are very happy with it.

OP
Dos Perros
Camped on a remote river and fished for a week 2 years ago. Grizz everywhere. Had tracks through camp at night and saw bears everyday. Never had a worry in the tent. Was much more concerned busting one out of a bed while bushwhacking to a new spot.

As I mentioned, it's mostly emotional. There are a LOT of bears in there though. I worry about the one that has been conditioned to get food from campers. Young bears making their way in the world for the first time. Or old ones struggling to hold on. This area seems to be ground zero for human grizzly bear conflicts and it has been well documented.

Last edited:
OP
Dos Perros
As I mentioned, it's mostly emotional. There are a LOT of bears in there though. I worry about the one that has been conditioned to get food from campers. Young bears making their way in the world for the first time. Or old ones struggling to hold on. This area seems to be ground zero for human grizzly bear conflicts and it has been well documented.

I figured I'd share my source documentation:

The Excel is pretty sobering to go through. Essentially, in the GYE, the vast majority of grizzly bear mortality is human caused, and of that large slice of pie most of it is either in self-defense or management removal of a bad bear.

OP
Dos Perros

Best deal on a fence. I picked up a demo, not in perfect condition, but functional.

They may be out though.

Cabela's looks to have the next best price. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/udap-electric-bear-fence

That is definitely more in my price range, and I would buy if they had one. Wonder if a dude could piece together a system that stock folks might use, assume that would be pretty robust and cost efficient.

OP
Dos Perros
After seeing the Dan Pickar / Eastman's video I wouldn't count on a bear fence to be a sufficient deterrent. I guess it would still wake you up but the area I'd want to cover would probably be spendy. Maybe not.

I did a test on this 12 ga blank trip wire. I'm sure it has to do with the blanks I was able to source, but it is definitely not the BOOM of a shotgun, more like a pop, on the order of Blackcat fireworks kinda pop. It'll wake me up. I don't perceive it to be very dangerous. Probably more worried about fire potential than anything else. Will have to be smart setting it up.

After seeing the Dan Pickar / Eastman's video I wouldn't count on a bear fence to be a sufficient deterrent. I guess it would still wake you up but the area I'd want to cover would probably be spendy. Maybe not.

I did a test on this 12 ga blank trip wire. I'm sure it has to do with the blanks I was able to source, but it is definitely not the BOOM of a shotgun, more like a pop, on the order of Blackcat fireworks kinda pop. It'll wake me up. I don't perceive it to be very dangerous. Probably more worried about fire potential than anything else. Will have to be smart setting it up.
I watched that video. But who knows if it was really active. Didn’t even test it!

87TT

WKR
Fishing line with some pots and pans will wake you up without making you have to get rid of your now soiled sleeping bag.