Thought I had settled on a good "first rifle + glass" combo, less sure now

OP
B

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
New to the forum. What about Vortex or Tract optics as possible options?

Neither brand particularly interests me. Vortex's customer service is pretty great but also well practiced per the experience of my coworkers across a variety of their products. Tract I haven't heard of. Maybe they're good, sounds like from the one bigger topic in the scope evals that this is unlikely. I'll be using the scope to accuracy test both AR's but the upper it will live on will be my work gun, so it does have to adhere to policy requirements and that eliminates the vast majority of what would be recommended here just because of the requirements for 1x and having only a handful of permissible brands. Leupold, Trijicon, Aimpoint, Eotech, Nightforce, US Optics, Vortex, and maybe one other.

leomort

FNG
BAC,

Thank you for your reply. My question regarding Vortex is because I see their advertisements everywhere, from their podcast to them recommendations for Appleseed 22lr matches, NRL-22, MARS competition, etc. Granted I'm only putting it on 22lr, but it still cost money. Some of these guys are putty serious $$$ into their Vudoo, RimX plus scope. I don't want to get into an equipment race to be competitive but don't want to buy junk and have to keep upgrading either.

Tract optics is direct to consumer business model. I believe their two ex-Nikon employees who started their own business.

fwafwow

WKR
Tract optics is direct to consumer business model. I believe their two ex-Nikon employees who started their own business.

Apart from the evaluation results, the company (or at least the RS member who appears to work there) flip-flopped on the concept of drop testing. You can see it in the Q&A (or the notable post that was deleted but can still be found).

leomort

FNG
Fwafwow,

Yes, I think I seen the flip flop decision you're talking during my searching of the forums. A lot of good information which is why I joined. Looking forward to learning a lot.