Thoughts on the new Tricer AD tripod?

I just ordered the AD. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up to rocky, nasty coues deer country. I have had a number of different tripods but have never been able to keep one together more than 3 or so years.

Anybody else been using the AD? Wondering how it's holding up and if the LP head is sturdy enough for a heavy Razor spotter. Bino adapter worthwhile?
If there's a better lightweight setup for similar price or cheaper please let me know! Something that can be used standing.
Last year they did a Labor Day sale so I may wait a week before ordering something.
@JDMBEND ?

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
So far, I haven’t found anything that I dislike about the AD tripod, Pan head, and bino adapter.
Tripod is stable, lightweight, and rides on my Exo pack just fine. Pan head has performed great, is really light and smooth.
The only question mark is durability. That will be tested this fall with the 4 tags in my pocket.

I am really liking this set-up. the inverted legs are genuis. I am in the market for a new light weight tripod and pan-head. Has anyone shot off the BC yet? if you have how far did you shoot, and was it fairly stable? I am looking for a tripod I can shoot off of and glass from. because the legs are inverted I would think that it would be pretty stable while hunting even though it has a center colum. Any thoughts...

ID_Matt

WKR
I bought the AD and loved everything about it except the center column stuck up quite a bit above the apex. Wish it was a bit more flush for shooting stability.

Used the AD for my elk hunt a little. I liked it but really only used it a few times. Used it this weekend for a jr coues hunt. I still like it. The reverse knobs do take a little getting used to. I use an outdoorsman head and the combination seems to work. I have a dec coues rifle hunt I'm helping on and my normal January archery hunt(s). I should be able to give the AD a better review by the end of January. At this point my only question is durability.

Juan_ID

WKR
I’ve now had the bc/lp head for a couple months and have used it a fair bit in the field. The inverted legs just make sense to me, I wish all tripods were designed that way. The reverse twist locks do take a little bit to get used to but not a big deal. I typically open up the legs wider when sitting for long periods of time and it’s been plenty stable and plenty of adjustment height wise. I don’t typically shoot from a tripod while hunting and don’t plan to so the lack of stability from an ultralight tripod doesn’t bother me. I know if in a pinch I needed some extra stability for an otherwise unstable or offhand shot it would provide plenty vs not having it.

Now for the head, I’ve used a surui va5 for so long that the pan and tilt has taken a the longest to familiarize myself with. It is plenty smooth and holds position well enough to not cause any issues for the most part, but it is no va5. It just doesn’t feel as smooth or as natural to adjust pan/tilt. Maybe I’m just biased. I’ve also seen mention of a lever lock vs the twist lock for the arca plate. I kind of like the twist mainly because all arca plates are different and adjusting the va5 lock for different brand plates always seemed to be a pain in the hills with the small lever and cold hands. The twist lock is easy to adjust for any brad of arca plate.

My biggest gripe with it is I wish they’d have made the bc a little longer collapsed and only had 2 leg sections rather than 3. Coming from using an inverted leofoto for nrl that is just so easy and simple. At just under 2lbs for head and legs I’m pretty happy with my purchase and look fwd to using it more.

dapesche

WKR
bumping this up.

I feel like if they had a tripod in between the AD and BC would be perfect.

in steep terrain I like to have one leg fully extended and then the other two legs spread wide to provide stability and then I sit between them.

The BC looks like it doesn't have long enough legs for me to pull that set up off in really steep terrain.

On the flip side, the AD just looks a bit bigger. More of a direct comparison with what I have currently (https://www.manfrotto.com/global/el...big-with-ball-head-carbon-fiber-mkeleb5cf-bh/). Been happy with that tripod but I know I can do better.

JakeSCH

WKR
bumping this up.

I feel like if they had a tripod in between the AD and BC would be perfect.

in steep terrain I like to have one leg fully extended and then the other two legs spread wide to provide stability and then I sit between them.

The BC looks like it doesn't have long enough legs for me to pull that set up off in really steep terrain.

On the flip side, the AD just looks a bit bigger. More of a direct comparison with what I have currently (https://www.manfrotto.com/global/el...big-with-ball-head-carbon-fiber-mkeleb5cf-bh/). Been happy with that tripod but I know I can do better.

I have both tricer tripods, for the most part you can do everything with the BC but i prefer the extra leg length of the AD for similar setups as you brought up.

For just using my spotter I lean toward the BC but grab the AD for long sits with my binos.

When legs are fully extended is where tricer stands out with the larger diameter legs in addition to weighing 12 to 13 oz less when paired with the LP.

dapesche

WKR
I have both tricer tripods, for the most part you can do everything with the BC but i prefer the extra leg length of the AD for similar setups as you brought up.

For just using my spotter I lean toward the BC but grab the AD for long sits with my binos.

When legs are fully extended is where tricer stands out with the larger diameter legs in addition to weighing 12 to 13 oz less when paired with the LP.

it's a tough one for sure.

I have a kowa 883. what spotter do you have? Nice and stable on the BC?

I don't think I'll buy the tricer just due to cost and the gap between the AD and BC that needs filling.

JakeSCH

WKR
it's a tough one for sure.

I have a kowa 883. what spotter do you have? Nice and stable on the BC?

I don't think I'll buy the tricer just due to cost and the gap between the AD and BC that needs filling.

I use the same spotter. Very stable on both tripods.

Significant improvement over my previous slik tripods.

bdubb78

FNG
I’ll post some pictures when it comes in, I have a sirui I can compare it against. With the Tricer pan head it should save me over a pound from my current tripod with the VA5
Interested to hear your comparison of the Tricer BC and the Sirui system. Those are the two I am comparing. I saw someone curious as to how it would stack up against the Outdoorsmans Gen2 and their fluid head but comparisons like that to me are insane. That system runs $2169 for the carbon fiber gen 2 and head compared to $422 for the Tricer setup. For 5x that system better be lights out better in function and specs.

Interested to hear your comparison of the Tricer BC and the Sirui system. Those are the two I am comparing. I saw someone curious as to how it would stack up against the Outdoorsmans Gen2 and their fluid head but comparisons like that to me are insane. That system runs $2169 for the carbon fiber gen 2 and head compared to $422 for the Tricer setup. For 5x that system better be lights out better in function and specs.
Outdoorsmans is American Made. Tricer is not regardless of their company name being TricerUSA. Outdoorsmans fluid head is a serious piece of kit and you would be better off with the gen2 pan head. The Outdoorsmans products are on par with Really Right Stuff and neither of those companies should be compared to the sirui, tricer, slik, two vets, leofoto brands. That's like comparing Swarovski binos to a $50 pair of Bushnell binos from Walmart. Period.

Will the Tricer tripod and head work? Yes
Are there better tripods and heads? Yes
Are there worse tripods and heads? Yes
Buy what you can afford

Outwest

WKR
I spent a few hunts with the AD, I liked the legs and I feel like they definitely were more stable at a sitting position but no more stable than a traditional tripod at anything above sitting. The reverse leg lock direction took a few glassing sessions to get used to but not a huge deal. The reason I couldn't get along with it was the sloppiness of the center column. It was better with the shorter column but pretty shotty tolerances if stability is your main selling point.

JakeSCH

WKR
I spent a few hunts with the AD, I liked the legs and I feel like they definitely were more stable at a sitting position but no more stable than a traditional tripod at anything above sitting. The reverse leg lock direction took a few glassing sessions to get used to but not a huge deal. The reason I couldn't get along with it was the sloppiness of the center column. It was better with the shorter column but pretty shotty tolerances if stability is your main selling point.

Yeah I’ve talked to Drew about it and i believe they replaced the o-ring on new ones to remove that free play of the center column on all new ones over the last 6 months or so.

He also has a new panhead and tripod coming out soon that are pretty impressive. I think the panhead is coming out in may.

I have the Tricer LP on one of my Slik 624's, and the trusty VA-5 on the other. Love the weight of the Tricer, but end up adjusting the tension constantly as I go from level to steep glassing angles. They both have their place, but the VA-5 definitely handles 15x56 Binos better. Other than that I love the LP.