Thoughts on the TC Encore?

Are tc encore muzzloaders good quality? I was recently given one for free from a family friend and am curious if I would gain much from a custom muzzloader? I want to shoot 300-400 yds with it… any tips on how to get there? Seems like it’s more challenging with a muzzloader than a rifle, with a center fire im comfortable shooting 5-600 yds on game if need be but with this it seems to drop very quickly and lose energy… I’ve heard of some guys with customs shooting pretty darn far

roymunson

WKR
I killed a lot of deer with my basic black stock black barreled Encore. worst thing about it was PITA to remove the breech plug. As far as a shooter, no complaints from me...

Yes, the Encore is a great muzzleloder platform. I’d shoot it and see what you can do. If you decided you wanted a higher performance muzzy, if I were you, I’d put a smokeless-capable barrel on the Encore.

As for shooting 300-400, it’s possible with a bp sub like Bh209 with an OEM .50 Encore and a dialable-turret scope, but it would be much easier past 300 with a smokeless barrel. I assume yours is a 1:28 twist .50. A sml .45 would make 300+ yard shots easier. Hanks and Arrowhead sell the MGM sml Encore barrels.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2006 model and absolutely love it. I only use 100 grain of T7 in mine with the black sabot/250 grain TC Shockwaves. Sub 1-inch at 100 yards. At 200 yards I think the drop was about 15-18 inches. With 150 grains of powder you could tighten that up. With a good scope I am sure you can do well out to 300 or more but you need to go 150 grains of powder and a quality scope.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I used a borrowed Encore this year for my bull elk. I used BH209 and Barnes 290 TMZ bullets. 4" high at 100 was dead on at 200. I shot my bull at 190 and again at 230. The shot at 190 was quartering towards and went in just in front of the shoulder and out right before the rear leg. The second at 230 went through both front shoulders. I really like the features of the encore and would be interested in it, if you want to get rid of it.

roymunson

WKR
I killed a lot of deer with my basic black stock black barreled Encore. worst thing about it was PITA to remove the breech plug. As far as a shooter, no complaints from me...
i lied. I had an Omega... My bad... Encore is a good gun