Thoughts on Training Rifles

Go same make and model with a cheaper caliber to shoot; save money in your scope. Muscle memory is real and you want as much to be identical as possible.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
We will disagree, and I am OK with that.

You can squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber to learn that aspect and train without flinch.

To shoot a gun well in the field you gotta practice field positions. There is no way around it.

IMO, the idea of using a lead sled defeats the purpose of training for actual hunting shots. It changes point of impact and leaves you with very minimal actual practice. Hunters shoot over the backs of animals with magnums all the time because they never practice shooting the way they will on a hunt.

I agree, it will give confidence in the rifle, but that sort of makes my point, that if the only way it can be shot well is in the sled, there is more to work on than just pressing the trigger.
Along these lines, are you familiar with RifleKraft.com . Its an approach to shooting thats somewhat "new". The founder Chris Way pushes data driven shooting analysis and it seems to be gaining steam. I for one want to give his drills a series of tries see how my shooting fairs.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m not HereinAZ, but I’ve been shooting the Kraft “challenge”, and I think it’s a great tool. Chris also takes the right approach of not putting yourself immediately on the clock. Build the skill, then work on getting faster, instead of building bad habits to go fast out of the gate.

View attachment 278108

View attachment 278109

Here are a couple tries shooting bulk Hornady American Gunner out of one of my hunting rifles (plenty to work on). The numbering of shots is also not correct.

To your original question. I think trainer rifles are generally a bad idea for most ‘normal’ shooters. The intent is really for competition folks to get trigger time without burning out their competition set-ups. Whether your talking benchrest or PRS, these guys are shooting heavy setups. So a non-recoiling 223 is fine for them.

Most of us that hunt shoot relatively lightweight rifles that recoil. Follow through & recoil management are skills you should work on that a 223 or 22lr won’t teach you. Most shooters also aren’t burning through multiple barrels a year anyways. Not to mention, you can always get a new barrel spun up.
Hunting rifles can get burned out faster than some comp guns. My 7mm mag will have a shorter barrel like than my 6 bra or a .223. I am halfway through thar barrel, but barrels are tires and still less than buying a new rifles. So, I agree that it may make more sense shooting the rifle you have. Burn out the barrel.

Yes, we need to practice and stay competent with heavy recoiling light rifles. But, there is the flip side as well.

I can say all my purposeful shooting with any rifle has improved my ability to shoot my magnum. When I shoot my magnum, I am more closely isolating recoil management because I have honed the other skills with heavy low recoiling rifles, even my .22lr.

I like what Kraft is doing, we improve when we test and practice. The key is shooting and analyzing it. For myself, I have thought of it as purpose driven shooting. Not just going to the range shooting groups. I began having a purpose for everything I do, especially as I started shooting more and spendingmore money on it. Adding in the testing is critical. Proof is in the pudding.

I am not a great competition shooter because I haven't put in the time among other reasons. What I have done is put in the time into practical field shooting for hunting. I am confident in what I have practiced, mostly tripod shooting in a seated position because 99% of long range shots can be done that way in the field. I do practice unsupported standing, kneeling, etc. Just to keep the skill up, but not much. If I can hit a milk jug 100% I am happy.

Whether you build a trainer comes down to how much shooting you are doing. If it is a few hundred rounds a year, probably shoot what you got and rebarrel or invest more into it when the barrel gets burned out.

If you are shooting 1000 or more rounds, then get a less expensive rifle to shoot makes some sense.

Either way, shooting at this level is not cheap...

ChrisAU

WKR
I used it as an excuse to pick up a Ruger Precision Rimfire in 17HMR...more trigger time, and more time ciphering on wind calls and elevation dialing. Added a cheap Sightmark to it, and its pretty boring out to about 250 yards but past that it gets pretty dicey and fun. Only thing I can afford to shoot right now ha!

I used it as an excuse to pick up a Ruger Precision Rimfire in 17HMR...more trigger time, and more time ciphering on wind calls and elevation dialing. Added a cheap Sightmark to it, and its pretty boring out to about 250 yards but past that it gets pretty dicey and fun. Only thing I can afford to shoot right now ha!
I wil take my T1X in 17 HMR out to 300 yards quite often. It is a great way to practice especially when it is windy.