Thread Adaptor for HC Speed Muzzle Brake??

BCD

WKR
I have a Browning Hells Canyon with the silly metric threads on the muzzle. Does anyone have a suggestion for a thread adaptor so I can use a standard threaded brake on this rifle?

Thank You!

Wapiti1

WKR
If I had such an animal and wished to do as you, I would take it to a gunsmith and have an adapter made for that barrel. That way it will be concentric to the bore and you won't be stacking tolerances when you put it together.

Otherwise, check at the silencerstore for adapters.

Jeremy

Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
If I had such an animal and wished to do as you, I would take it to a gunsmith and have an adapter made for that barrel. That way it will be concentric to the bore and you won't be stacking tolerances when you put it together.

Otherwise, check at the silencerstore for adapters.

Jeremy
Thank You! Are there any cons of using such an adaptor?

WTFJohn

WKR
I have a Browning Hells Canyon with the silly metric threads on the muzzle. Does anyone have a suggestion for a thread adaptor so I can use a standard threaded brake on this rifle?

Thank You!
Just take it and get it rethreaded by a good gunsmith, don't waste time with the adapters. I dropped off my brother's XBolt HC and had the gunsmith rethread it 1/2-28 for a suppressor w/ QD muzzle brake. There was plenty of barrel to do this between the existing threads and the start of the barrel fluting, and the rifle is just as accurate as it was beforehand.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thank You! Are there any cons of using such an adaptor?
The con to an adapter is that it might have mis-alignment after installation on your rifle. We assume that everything was square when the barrel was threaded, the brake was made and the adapter was made, but there are tolerances in anything that is machined. Adding them all together might stack the tolerances, or cancel them. It will probably all line up fine, but I would want to check the bore to brake bore alignment. If you buy quality parts, the potential for issues is very small, though.

Having a gunsmith make the adapter using your barrel as a mandrel removes the original barrel threading from the equation. The smith can indicate it all in, and thread the adapter concentric to the bore. He could just rethread the barrel too which is really the same thing.

One pro to using the adapter is resale of the rifle, IMO. Leaving it factory preserves some value. Most folks look at alterations as a negative. Some don't care. I always wonder what else was done that I can't see.

The other pro that I see is the ability to use more brake brands/designs that aren't available in your thread size. Rethreading smaller might compound the issue of which brake will fit. Some styles aren't available in 1/2" thread sizes.

Jeremy

Reactions: BCD