Thunder chickens!!!

OP
Evan Williams
Rebecca,

it was a fast 2 day hunt with kaely. On the afternoon of the second day i was working a pair of jakes following in a hen for her. Toughest i have ever had to took 4 hours to get her to work her way across 300 yards with those boys. I had her at 12 yards (and unfortunately it wasn't the bearded hen we had seen) and the closest jake was 45. Then the landowners son decided it was target practice day...with his ar-15. Birds scattered and that was the last we saw or even heard of a bird. It was still fun. We were planning on going back down but the little one is only 16 days old and with only me working for the next month its tight. I am still going to get away back to kansas and i hope the girls are going to make it too and then i have talked with a buddy about a bansai colorado high country trip. :) must hunt thunder chickens!!!

I'm gettin' pumped just like the rest of you guys. If you need something to hold you over until the opener, here is a couple hunts from Primetime Outdoors' 2011 spring turkey season. It's rather lengthy, but if you have some time watch some gobblers hit the dirt! Keep 'em gobbling!

[video=youtube;GKKPMkLc5q4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKKPMkLc5q4[/video]

B

bearguide

fun pics / i hope to get out for bears and turkeys this spring. both my youngest kids need to get a bear and score again on turkeys

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 2 year old daughter will be turkey hunting with me this year! She asked me....no wait....more less told me she was going with me to hunt turkeys. No way I could resist that! We will see how it goes....even if she spooks a bird it will be well worth the experience!

OP
Evan Williams
I wanted to take Elizabeth with me this year but mom put the Kibosh on that REAL fast! "my 3 week old daughter isn't going into the ground blind with you for turkeys!"

oops dad :)

Colorado for me. I've got family hunting private river bottom land out east here along with friends and guiding my little brother back home in the mountains on some public and private. I can't decide which :)........ Pumped though, huntin' with the recurve!

Tyler

OP
Evan Williams
Just got a phone call from a buddy and we are heading to southern colorado for some birds later on this year!!! Stoked!! I might be able to get the Eastern and the Merriams taken care of this year. That would put me one bird away from my slam...all with a bow and ALL with the Magnus Bullheads. Headed to Florida next year to hunt the Osceola with a buddy and that should get my slam. The Rio I took last year in Kansas.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Headed out today to try and acquire a new chunk of land that hold a ton of birds! Then to put up a few scouting cameras to get some pictures of my feathered friends! Pictures to come!

OP
Evan Williams
In Kansas now doing some work for the local grain cooperative spraying dry fertilizer (nitrogen, phosphorus, urea) and doing some scouting!!! It looks like that with the toasty weather the birds are already broken up!!! The largest group I saw today was 12 birds and I saw TONS of singles and doubles...2 yr olds that had already been run off!!! Should be a good year right out of the gate!

wildcat33

WKR
Heading to Kansas in a month. Need to put a custom rattle can camp job on my 935 before I go though. Also treated myself to a flock of DSDs. Gonna be awesome.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve got the itch myself but not many options. I’m in TX which is chock full of birds but I don’t have a lease. My connection fell through due to a big family fight over the ranch land of recently departed grandfather. Hate to see that for many reasons. Anyway, I’m trying to cook up something. Very little public here in TX with a Spring season. Maybe make a trip over to NM...

You can’t cheat the mountain

Buckwise9

FNG
Ready for NC opener. DSD under one arm and fresh loads of TSS in the other. Love the challenge of the ole wile eastern.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
A few weeks before opener here in Iowa, but the birds look ready
7246416a273c80f993ea29d5764dac83.jpg

c02632cecf026089abd7f8f365af6218.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading to TN in a week to hunt some public land birds. First time down there but my hopes are high. Then a spot i have hunted in KY 2 weeks after that, and finally my home state of OH opens April 22nd. Going to be a busy spring!

Good luck to everyone!

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
By far one of my most looked forward to hunts. Can never get enough of sitting at the very first crack of light and hearing one sound off in a tree 100 yds from me. Gives me chills just thinking about it, 21 days, 20 hrs...but who's counting

Ray P

FNG
Very slow morning here in Fl. 2 hens flew down at first light, another walked thru 30 mins later. Not one gobble at all. Have my bow in hand for the weekend, than to Alabama next weekend for Eastern.

slick

WKR
Lots of action in SW OR. Few hens here and there seem to be dispersing already. Jakes are running around in pairs, and the toms are strutting all over the place. Seems like an above average year. Have seen loads of quail too.