Thunderbeast or Hyperion K

I'm sick of shooting with ear plugs and muffs!

My tax return should hit this week and the boss said I can use some of it to buy my first can.

It'll be decided to my 6.5 PRC but might get screwed on my ARs occasionally.

I've always been told to get a Thunderbeast. And now the Gen 2's look even more gooder.

Then Avery said to look at the Hyperion K

Price is about the same. The length is about the same between the TB 7 and the Hyperion with the TB being 2oz lighter. While I don't backpack hunt with a rifle I do hike a lot. But 2oz isnt an issue.

I see Silencer Shop has the Hyperion in stock and they seem to have the easiet process to order. And I have a local shop that works with them.

I do like that the TB is a decided 6.5 can. While I do own a 308 and 270 Wby I don't really shoot them. Especially with a new custom to play with. So I really don't need a 30 cal can.

The other question would be if the TB 9 should be a consideration or is it just too long on a 24" barrel? Is the extra 5 dB reduction worth it?

Then I'm a little confused on the mounting options for the TB. They make a brake that the can will thread on? What's the benefits between direct thread vs threading over a brake? Will the brake still reduce recoil suppressed better than a direct thread?

Are there any other "precsion" rifle cans to consider?

I shot my buddy's 6.5 saum with a can last fall. Holy chit! Can't believe how quiet it was. Almost like a truck dumping it's air brake. I think he said those were Dakota Arms suppressors.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
You’re going to get a ton of responses. I don’t have both so I can’t tell you which is better but many people say the thunderbeast is what all other suppressors compare themselves to, so that should tell you something.

I wouldn’t go with a a 6.5. What if you decide to get a 300prc or you decide to shoot your other guns. I don’t see an advantage to a 6.5 dedicated suppressor.

24” barrel plus a 9” suppressor…no thanks! Go with a 7” max. You’ll be at 31” and that’ll feel long in the woods.

I have the cb version. It’s a brake that is permanently attached to the gun, then the suppressor screws onto it. When I bought mine, that is what TBAC recommended.

OP
TradLife406
You’re going to get a ton of responses. I don’t have both so I can’t tell you which is better but many people say the thunderbeast is what all other suppressors compare themselves to, so that should tell you something.

I wouldn’t go with a a 6.5. What if you decide to get a 300prc or you decide to shoot your other guns. I don’t see an advantage to a 6.5 dedicated suppressor.

24” barrel plus a 9” suppressor…no thanks! Go with a 7” max. You’ll be at 31” and that’ll feel long in the woods.

I have the cb version. It’s a brake that is permanently attached to the gun, then the suppressor screws onto it. When I bought mine, that is what TBAC recommended.

Yeah the only reason I'd get a set 6.5 can is because I don't rifle hunt elk and don't plan to. Just prairie hunting deer and antelope. Is the tone/reduction much different between a 30 cal can on a 6.5 and dedicated 6.5 can?

If anyone made a dedicated 7mm can, I’d probably buy it, LOL.
There are.

OP I personally like dedicated suppressors. I also like caliber specific suppressors. So if I was going to put it on a 6.5 PRC I would get a 6.5 cal suppressor.

OP
TradLife406
There are.

OP I personally like dedicated suppressors. I also like caliber specific suppressors. So if I was going to put it on a 6.5 PRC I would get a 6.5 cal suppressor.

I just don't really have an uber magnum fetish. Though maybe one day I may build a 300 wsm but that's so far out I'll just buy a 30 cal can. My 308 needs money dumped into it and my Wby needs glass. And I just don't see shooting those any time soon.
I think my next build is going to have to be a 6 Creed for my daughter. She's going to be old enough to hunt in two years. So I'm going to start buying parts now. Like a 18-20" barrel with a can in an XLR Chassis... That'd be sweet!

Afhunter1

WKR
I bought a 223 can 1st for predator hunting.

Next I bought a 22 can and ultra 7 30 cal

My order in now is a 22 can and ultra 5 6.5 cal

I really like this setup and it covers everything. The most fun you will have is a 22 can. Add one to whatever you get.

I prob won’t buy another after these two get out of jail. I’m pretty much set.

TexasHTR

FNG
Can anyone tell me the scoop on the goofy Sig spec threading on the Hyperion k?
It allows you to have a taper mount by direct threading and not need an additional brake or muzzle device. The threading is 5/8-24 but with the sig taper on the back. It should work on any 5/8-24 threaded barrel with an adequate square shoulder too. If you have a shoulder of less than .1” they recommend getting their thread adapter.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
The noticeable dB reduction from a 6.5 can to a 30 cal can are negligible and most human ears can’t differentiate. Your being advised to get a 30 cal, as you can use it on just about anything down the road. Being you don’t own a can yet, take it from those that went from one to 7+ cans.....

Look on you tube for 5.56 vs 30 cans for reference

Lawnboi

WKR
It allows you to have a taper mount by direct threading and not need an additional brake or muzzle device. The threading is 5/8-24 but with the sig taper on the back. It should work on any 5/8-24 threaded barrel with an adequate square shoulder too. If you have a shoulder of less than .1” they recommend getting their thread adapter.
No worries with the can coming loose on a 90 degree shoulder? Does not seem like much of an area to create friction and hold the can on there.

The taper I get, it’s just not very common.

TexasHTR

FNG
No worries with the can coming loose on a 90 degree shoulder? Does not seem like much of an area to create friction and hold the can on there.

The taper I get, it’s just not very common.
I was told it works perfectly fine with a normal 90 deg shoulder. But even better with the taper. Mines still in jail or I’d let you know for sure. I also bought the taper adapter as I’ll be running it on a t3 lite a bunch. Cgs is very responsive to emails as well. They apparently aren’t a fan of additional devices that make something “quick detach” when it can be done without the additional device. My biggest concern is how ugly the thread adapter is. Haha

Lawnboi

WKR
I was told it works perfectly fine with a normal 90 deg shoulder. But even better with the taper. Mines still in jail or I’d let you know for sure. I also bought the taper adapter as I’ll be running it on a t3 lite a bunch. Cgs is very responsive to emails as well. They apparently aren’t a fan of additional devices that make something “quick detach” when it can be done without the additional device. My biggest concern is how ugly the thread adapter is. Haha
I get the premise of how it works it just seems strange that it would work. You would think without the friction of the shoulder along with less thread engagement wouldn't be ideal.

Of course the easy way about it is to just have your barrel threaded to Sig spec if you can find someone to do that

ID_Matt

WKR
If you are considering using it on an AR, you might look at the silencer co omega since it is full auto rated and still lightweight. As for length, I wouldn't go any longer than 7" on a 24" barrel.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm sick of shooting with ear plugs and muffs!

My tax return should hit this week and the boss said I can use some of it to buy my first can.

It'll be decided to my 6.5 PRC but might get screwed on my ARs occasionally.

I've always been told to get a Thunderbeast. And now the Gen 2's look even more gooder.

Then Avery said to look at the Hyperion K

Price is about the same. The length is about the same between the TB 7 and the Hyperion with the TB being 2oz lighter. While I don't backpack hunt with a rifle I do hike a lot. But 2oz isnt an issue.

I see Silencer Shop has the Hyperion in stock and they seem to have the easiet process to order. And I have a local shop that works with them.

I do like that the TB is a decided 6.5 can. While I do own a 308 and 270 Wby I don't really shoot them. Especially with a new custom to play with. So I really don't need a 30 cal can.

The other question would be if the TB 9 should be a consideration or is it just too long on a 24" barrel? Is the extra 5 dB reduction worth it?

Then I'm a little confused on the mounting options for the TB. They make a brake that the can will thread on? What's the benefits between direct thread vs threading over a brake? Will the brake still reduce recoil suppressed better than a direct thread?

Are there any other "precsion" rifle cans to consider?

I shot my buddy's 6.5 saum with a can last fall. Holy chit! Can't believe how quiet it was. Almost like a truck dumping it's air brake. I think he said those were Dakota Arms suppressors.

Thanks

I own all of those cans and all would serve you well. On my 6.5 SAUM, the Hyperion K is notably quieter than the TB 7, about the same as the TB 9 to my ears.

woods89

WKR
@Ryan Avery

What are your thoughts on the AB suppressor by now?

A suppressor is my next major firearms purchase, I think. I'm very interested in these, particularly a 4 or 6 stack with 3 or 4 inch reflex that would be used on a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 223. If not one of those I'd probably lean in the direction of the oft recommended TBAC Ultra 7.

There's not much info out there on the AB's.