Tikka .243 build off action

feanor

WKR
Got a question for the people that know more about Tikkas. I have a line on a used T3 .243. Could I build a 6mm off of the action as is, or do I need a different bolt etc?

crich

WKR
Got a question for the people that know more about Tikkas. I have a line on a used T3 .243. Could I build a 6mm off of the action as is, or do I need a different bolt etc?
Technically it already is a 6mm. Depending on what 6mm cartridge you want to shoot you may or may not need a new bolt face. I'd think about the bullet you want to oush since those older t3 243s have a slower twist.

Depends on which 6mm cartridge you’re asking about. Any 6mm with the standard case head (6mm creedmoor, 6mmx47, 6mm Remington, 6mm-06, etc) will all work. Some will require a long action bolt stop and mag. I’m guessing you mean 6mm creedmoor and if that’s the case you’ll only need a new barrel. Some even ream the .243 out to 6 creed but I would advise just getting a PBB or mcgowen prefit barrel.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Yes I was thinking of getting a new barrel for it in a faster twist. I just wasn’t sure if it would be like for like on the action. I’m one foot in on this, so I’m still researching cartridges.

atmat

WKR
Yes I was thinking of getting a new barrel for it in a faster twist. I just wasn’t sure if it would be like for like on the action. I’m one foot in on this, so I’m still researching cartridges.
What are the distances you’re hunting?

For 99% of hunters, the 6creed is sufficient for longer distances than they can shoot. It also has well-established factory loaded ammo.

If you go 6creed, you’ll need a new barrel but not a new bolt.

crich

WKR
If you dont plan on shooting heavy for caliber bullets and the 1-10 twist works then go for it. I'd say just get it if it's a great deal and use the action. Or shoot the 243 barrel its still a great cartridge don't let the 6CM and all these new "updated" overshadow it. Depends on your objective really; what bullet and how far.

atmat

WKR
If you dont plan on shooting heavy for caliber bullets and the 1-10 twist works then go for it. I'd say just get it if it's a great deal and use the action. Or shoot the 243 barrel its still a great cartridge don't let the 6CM and all these new "updated" overshadow it. Depends on your objective really; what bullet and how far.
I interpreted that he wanted to build something different, which is why I recommended the 6creed.

But yeah, ain’t nothing wrong with an old 1:10 243. They’ve killed more animals than one could count.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Yep- looking to build off the action for a 6creed and to explore some different options with it.

atmat

WKR
Yep- looking to build off the action for a 6creed and to explore some different options with it.
If you know you’re building a 6creed then there’s not many options to choose other than which barrel.

My 16.5” prefit from Stocky’s PBB is great. But any barrel from any reputable company is also going to be good. Choose a length and contour and get cooking.

Edit: typo above.

Last edited:

If you are good with a .243 this is what I would buy. They are 1:8 twist one is already threaded for $200. Most charge $150 just to thread a barrel. They also have 2 20” compact ones in stock if you didn’t want threads or if you want to chop and thread it.

atmat

WKR
Just buy a new 8 twist .243

If you are good with a .243 this is what I would buy. They are 1:8 twist one is already threaded for $200. Most charge $150 just to thread a barrel. They also have 2 20” compact ones in stock if you didn’t want threads or if you want to chop and thread it.
My only knock against this is that you’re paying to rebarrel to something that doesn’t have as good of factory ammo selection as the 6creed.

I don’t think any manufacturer makes anything over 100g for the 243, and even then the bullets aren’t as good a selection as the factory 6creed ELD.

I would never rebarrel a fast twist 243 to a 6creed. But if you’re already paying to rebarrel, might as well go to the 6creed.

My only knock against this is that you’re paying to rebarrel to something that doesn’t have as good of factory ammo selection as the 6creed.

I don’t think any manufacturer makes anything over 100g for the 243, and even then the bullets aren’t as good a selection as the factory 6creed ELD.

I would never rebarrel a fast twist 243 to a 6creed. But if you’re already paying to rebarrel, might as well go to the 6creed.
Well that is the question. Does he need over 100 gr bullet? What are his realistic distances? As well as budget for him matters. Ace barrel is $365 to thread and cut is another $365 from UM. If he is a 0-300 yard shooter a 95gr BT is totally sufficient for that or the 95 eldx which are both in factory ammo. With all that being said I just built a 6cm off of a tikka action from UM because I wanted to shoot hornady match 108 factory ammo. I thought it was worth it.

Mulyhuntr

WKR

I'm talking buy a new complete rifle with 8 twist.

But if you don't reload that changes things if you're looking for heavies in 6mm.

Unknown and copper creek load the 108s in 243 win.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I will admit I’m interested in shooting heavier bullets. I’m starting to reload, so that’s possible. I’m in the 400 range right now but always looking to improve over the years. And yes, I’m looking for budget friendly options.
That’s why this deal peaked my interest as it’s an older T3 and up for sale cheap- what are the options to essentially update the old dog and teach him some new tricks.

Cheapest and easiest option.... Go pick up 500-1k hornady 105gr bthp's. Load em up in that 243 and rock on

Last edited:

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I will admit I’m interested in shooting heavier bullets. I’m starting to reload, so that’s possible. I’m in the 400 range right now but always looking to improve over the years. And yes, I’m looking for budget friendly options.
That’s why this deal peaked my interest as it’s an older T3 and up for sale cheap- what are the options to essentially update the old dog and teach him some new tricks.
How far you looking to shoot? Target or hunting? 90 eldx or berger 95 classic hunter work great in the 10 twist tikka.