Tikka 7 PRC Build - Which donor action?

satchamo

WKR
This might be a stupid question but here goes…

I’m looking together a 7 PRC in a t3x using a prefit, my question is which caliber t3x is best to build off of? I was just assuming a 7 rem mag but would a 300 win mag work too?

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
This might be a stupid question but here goes…

I’m looking together a 7 PRC in a t3x using a prefit, my question is which caliber t3x is best to build off of? I was just assuming a 7 rem mag but would a 300 win mag work too?

It doesn’t really matter since tikka only makes one action length, they just use a bolt stop to make it said “short” action, which just stops the bolt from opening to “long action spec”. The only thing you need to worry about is having a magnum bolt face (which you can have swapped out if it doesn’t), so yes, a 7mm or 300 win mag will be fine. Dont mind me asking but why wouldn’t you just buy a barreled action from a gunsmith? Or an action and order a prefit? Or just buy a different brand that offers a 7prc off the shelf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
It doesn’t really matter since tikka only makes one action length, they just use a bolt stop to make it said “short” action, which just stops the bolt from opening to “long action spec”. The only thing you need to worry about is having a magnum bolt face (which you can have swapped out if it doesn’t), so yes, a 7mm or 300 win mag will be fine. Dont mind me asking but why wouldn’t you just buy a barreled action from a gunsmith? Or an action and order a prefit? Or just buy a different brand that offers a 7prc off the shelf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’m still deliberating. I’d just go get a roughtech but with no 7 PRC offering I don’t have that option. I like the Seekins ph2 but that’s a 26 in barrel and with a can, that’s gonna be a piece… and I’d like a 22 in barrel at the most. I know there a bit of velocity drop off but I’m not worried.

I’d like to stay under 2k and I’m just a tikka fan… they’ve never let me down.

Any "long action magnum" will get the job done with the least hassle. Of the factory options, 7mm, 300 win, 300 wsm, 270wsm will all work. Wsm cartridges will need the bolt stop swapped or grinded back. Easy job.