Tikka Accuracy Issues Off Shooting Rest

I was getting some rather wild groups from my Tikka T3 .270 off a rear Protektor rabbit ear sandbag and a Caldwell Rock front rest. 3" groups with Hornady Precision Hunter. I was letting the rifle fore end free recoil off the front rest. When I gripped the fore end at the shot, groups shrank to .5" MOA with 150 grain Sierra Game Kings.

Are Tikkas finicky how they are held or shot? I hope I didn't get a lemon.

Thanks

Question 1: What happens if you grip the fore end while shooting the Precision Hunter ammo? Do you still get a 3" group or does its size shrink?
Question 2: What happens if you shoot the Game Kings without gripping the fore end just like what you did with the Precision Hunter ammo? Does the group still stay at .5" or does its size increase?
Question 3: What happens if you shoot off a bipod and a simple rear rest? Any difference in group size, especially between the two?
Question 4: Are the results the same with a different shooter?

When trying out new ammo, do everything consistently. This will make comparisons much easier and more accurate. Also, while you may prefer one ammo (ex: Precision Hunter) your rifle may not like it.

I never grip my fore end nor apply any type of downward pressure on any of my rifles when shooting; this includes several Tikkas. The exception to the first part is if I take an unsupported shot such as standing or kneeling and then I will hold the fore end.

OP
General RE LEE
Question 1: What happens if you grip the fore end while shooting the Precision Hunter ammo? Do you still get a 3" group or does its size shrink?
Question 2: What happens if you shoot the Game Kings without gripping the fore end just like what you did with the Precision Hunter ammo? Does the group still stay at .5" or does its size increase?
Question 3: What happens if you shoot off a bipod and a simple rear rest? Any difference in group size, especially between the two?

When trying out new ammo, do everything consistently. This will make comparisons much easier and more accurate. Also, while you may prefer one ammo (ex: Precision Hunter) your rifle may not like it.

I never grip my fore end nor apply any type of downward pressure on any of my rifles when shooting; this includes several Tikkas. The exception to the first part is if I take an unsupported shot such as standing or kneeling and then I will hold the fore end.

I’m going to try a different rest tomorrow off the bench. The Tikka .270 jumps quite a bit at the shot cause it’s so light. I’m going to get out my trusty Caldwell Tack Driver. I’ve shot some really tight groups with the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
General RE LEE

I noticed an immediate improvement when I started gripping the fore end of the rifle off the Rock rest.

If you can consistently shoot 1/2 MOA groups with a factory rifle I don't think you should be concerned with it being a lemon.

rayporter

WKR
the stock on a hunting rifle is usually much better off with some grip. it is not built to shoot free recoil. it is round on the bottom and has a light barrel which does not work with free recoil. i would not go so far as to clamp down on the stope as i just do not believe that is wise. scopes are not made for handles and i can demonstrate movement of the cross hair by clamping on a scope objective.

besides you should shoot it as you hunt with it.

OP
General RE LEE
Hit the range today and not super thrilled with results at 100 yards. Not bad but not all the good either. I did grip the fore end and it helped.

38a4253e1ff059a8f6cf310813d30677.jpg

First group. I noticed shots getting lower as barrel became fouled and slightly warm. I allowed 5 minutes between shots.

Second group

4c2c46bf2a1184d0cb9987543e17ffb5.jpg

Made adjustment and took this final shot and called it good.

fad06370e0a2f83f1438b3718e69f145.jpg

OP
General RE LEE
I got out the tape measure. Taking out the cold bore I’m around 1” on these groups. Not bad

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kimber hunter, same results.

I guess i dont really care about bench shooting paper groups as much anymore. It is a more finicky rifle to shoot and likes to be held firmly. If i really focus i can turn out great groups with premium ammo.

More importantly, ive shot an antelope at 240 and an elk at 170 with it.

OP
General RE LEE
Not exactly helpful I assume, but the precision hunter stuff never did group well in my T3 270 either.

I got a box of Federal Terminal Ascent I’m going to try today.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider

That’s what grouped the best for me from my t3x 308. Actually it was the EDGE TLR, but basically the same bullet. Has performed exceptionally well on game as well, from pigs to a cow elk at 200 yards.

Pro953

WKR

Good luck. Might be lighter than you want, depending on what your target game is, but the 130’s always (across multiple loads) grouped better for the than 150’s. As a FYI, I am shooting near sea level with average temps 75-95 degrees so you might experience different with the 150’s if you are up high.

OP
General RE LEE
My Tikka does not like the Terminal Ascent whatsoever. It didn’t like ELD-X or the Terminal Ascent but it groups 150 grain Sierra Game Kings and Hornady 130 grain BTSP under a 1” at 100 yards. It just doesn’t like ballistic tips.

Fire_9

WKR
Sounds like it’s you and not the rifle which is most often the case in my opinion. I know all of my rifles shoot better than I can...

OP
General RE LEE
Sounds like it’s you and not the rifle which is most often the case in my opinion. I know all of my rifles shoot better than I can...

Do all your rifles shoot all ammo equally well? I found two types of ammo that shoot 1” or less if you read the thread. It’s not the gun it was the ammo and how I was supporting it off the bench. Problem solved.

Fire_9

WKR
I read and re-read the thread. Don’t take offense man, I’m not saying I would shoot it any better. Those light snappy rifles are hard to handle, especially when you have bad fundamentals. I’m glad you got your problem solved