Tikka AG composite stock feed issue

Lawnboi

WKR
Check that your rifle reliably feeds before wasting time on longer screws. Seems some do, some don’t. Mine didn’t.

I like the ergonomics of the alpine hunter but with all the reported problems, I don’t know why anyone would buy one until they have their new mold done.

I had the same issue with my tikka in a mesa. Called them today and they are going to make me some longer screws and ship out. Just call them. I wish i would have wrote the guys name from mesas name down for you Very helpful and responsive.
If he would have said just use the ones I sent then I would have gone to the store and bought M6x1 screws that were 2 inches only and cut them to length.
I got my stock back from them a couple weeks back. I would say customer service was okay, definitely not great. They need better QC over their products. I wish I had waited and saved for a manners. Where are you getting M6 screws with the proper taper on the head? A standard socket head cap screw or anything else I've seen would look out of place and likely not index properly in the bottom metal. I also am not a fan of the fully threaded action screw they provided. The shear strength of a fully threaded fastener is significantly less than a fastener with an unthreaded shoulder in the area of potential shear. The screws they provided me anyways looked like someone used a hacksaw to cut them, just not the quality I would have expected for the price.

Check that your rifle reliably feeds before wasting time on longer screws. Seems some do, some don’t. Mine didn’t.

I like the ergonomics of the alpine hunter but with all the reported problems, I don’t know why anyone would buy one until they have their new mold done.
I purchased before I knew any better, hind sight is always 20/20.

WVHick

FNG
Bumping this thread because I just got a privateer a few weeks ago and having these issues. I ordered it through Full Curl because AG won’t sell em direct. Probably because they know they suck and rely on “dealers” to make em fit properly before sending em on out to the end user. Bolt rides over the round in the magazine unless upward pressure is put on the front of the magazine. Bottom metal also sits very proud of the stock. I’ve tried the factory Tikka BM and a Desert Tactical aluminum bottom metal. Both have the same issue.

The entire bottom metal inlet needs to be about .050 deeper and then it would likely feed, but still look like shit.

In my mind, these stocks are pure dog shit and they shouldn’t sell them. I’ll probably just ship the entire thing off to LongRifles Inc and have them work their magic. I can’t believe a company would continue putting these out. After waiting 4 months for it, I’m very disappointed.

I also ordered before reading of these issues. Why would @merrillmtn continue to sell these knowing they don’t work??

Last edited:
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Bumping this thread because I just got a privateer a few weeks ago and having these issues. I ordered it through Full Curl because AG won’t sell em direct. Probably because they know they suck and rely on “dealers” to make em fit properly before sending em on out to the end user. Bolt rides over the round in the magazine unless upward pressure is put on the front of the magazine. Bottom metal also sits very proud of the stock. I’ve tried the factory Tikka BM and a Desert Tactical aluminum bottom metal. Both have the same issue.

The entire bottom metal inlet needs to be about .050 deeper and then it would likely feed, but still look like shit.

In my mind, these stocks are pure dog shit and they shouldn’t sell them. I’ll probably just ship the entire thing off to LongRifles Inc and have them work their magic. I can’t believe a company would continue putting these out. After waiting 4 months for it, I’m very disappointed.

I also ordered before reading of these issues. Why would @merrillmtn continue to sell these knowing they don’t work??
Try messing with the magazine “spring”. It’s the little metal tab that the Allen head goes through that holds the trigger assembly in place. Bend it toward the magazine more. I bet that helps. The idea is to seat the magazine closer to the bolt so it’ll grab the rim of the cartridge when you close it. It has a lot of spring back to it so you’ll probably want to remove it from the trigger assembly. Play around with it, worked for a buddy.

Oh and in my experience the people at AG composites, Matt and Pam will bend over backwards to help a customer, especially a polite one. 😉

Last edited:

WVHick

FNG
Try messing with the magazine “spring”. It’s the little metal tab that the Allen head goes through that holds the trigger assembly in place. Bend it toward the magazine more. I bet that helps. The idea is to seat the magazine closer to the bolt so it’ll grab the rim of the cartridge when you close it. It has a lot of spring back to it so you’ll probably want to remove it from the trigger assembly. Play around with it, worked for a buddy.

Oh and in my experience the people at AG composites, Matt and Pam will bend over backwards to help a customer, especially a polite one. 😉
Lol yea I’m just frustrated. It sucks to wait for these then have a clear issue. And it’s not like they don’t know of the issue. They clearly do but they’re still selling defective ones.

They’d likely be willing to help. But no way am I sending it back to them. It’ll go to LRI if I can’t come up with a solution. They had the chance to test and fix it when they made it. I know bad stuff gets out the door, but they’re well aware of this problem based on this thread.

Appreciate the tip. I’ll give it a shot (y)

Lol yea I’m just frustrated. It sucks to wait for these then have a clear issue. And it’s not like they don’t know of the issue. They clearly do but they’re still selling defective ones.

They’d likely be willing to help. But no way am I sending it back to them. It’ll go to LRI if I can’t come up with a solution. They had the chance to test and fix it when they made it. I know bad stuff gets out the door, but they’re well aware of this problem based on this thread.

I’m out of town right now but will be back to work Wednesday. We can get this fixed. We do have a few thousand of these stocks out there that work just fine but we do have stocks that have been shipped and an issue arises.

As far as testing, we use the Tikka barreled action and mag here to test fit and function. That same barreled action was used to create the inlet program. We have worked with gun builders where we put our action in the stock and it works fine but then they put their Tikka action in and it doesn’t. There can be very slight tolerance differences between one action and the next that can cause an issue. Sometimes it’s the spring in the mag box that can cause the issue or it is indeed the stock. We’ll troubleshoot until the problem is resolved.

Nonetheless, yes, it’s frustrating to wait only to get the stock and have an issue. We’re more than happy to fix it though. If you want to work with us contact us. If you choose not to just let the crew over at LRI know we’re here to help. Thanks.

WVHick

FNG
I’m out of town right now but will be back to work Wednesday. We can get this fixed. We do have a few thousand of these stocks out there that work just fine but we do have stocks that have been shipped and an issue arises.

As far as testing, we use the Tikka barreled action and mag here to test fit and function. That same barreled action was used to create the inlet program. We have worked with gun builders where we put our action in the stock and it works fine but then they put their Tikka action in and it doesn’t. There can be very slight tolerance differences between one action and the next that can cause an issue. Sometimes it’s the spring in the mag box that can cause the issue or it is indeed the stock. We’ll troubleshoot until the problem is resolved.

Nonetheless, yes, it’s frustrating to wait only to get the stock and have an issue. We’re more than happy to fix it though. If you want to work with us contact us. If you choose not to just let the crew over at LRI know we’re here to help. Thanks.

Appreciate you being willing to fix the issue. I’ll let LRI know to reach out if they have any questions.

Any progress on your new molds so this problem is resolved once and for all?

Appreciate you being willing to fix the issue. I’ll let LRI know to reach out if they have any questions.

Any progress on your new molds so this problem is resolved once and for all?
When we reach out to LRI, what name should we tell them so they can look up the info on the stock? What stock do you have? The Alpine Hunter or Privateer?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR

Did you have a chance to mess with the mag spring yet? Curious if you can get it to work like my buddy did.

WVHick

FNG
Did you have a chance to mess with the mag spring yet? Curious if you can get it to work like my buddy did.
I did but I noticed a problem with the bottom metal inlet first. It seemed to have been inletted while the stock was not level. We put it in my buddys Bridgeport last night, made a few passes with the end mill and now the bottom metal and magazine are riding much nicer. Still not perfect but much better.

I need to source longer action screws from some where

Lawnboi

WKR
I did but I noticed a problem with the bottom metal inlet first. It seemed to have been inletted while the stock was not level. We put it in my buddys Bridgeport last night, made a few passes with the end mill and now the bottom metal and magazine are riding much nicer. Still not perfect but much better.

Longer action screw is a band aid fix for the tikka, the mag to operate well requires it to be up tight to the action.

A mag spring adjust is another band aid fix.

In an aftermarket stock that mag should be tight up against the action when seated.

The AG I had for a short time, I initially thought I could fix the problem with a longer screw, not the case, the tikka require a fixed spacing between that bottom metal and receiver unlike a 700 clone where you have some leeway

Last edited:
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR

Sounds like it was a one off if there is as a milling issue. I’d send it back to AG composites rather than a gun smith. Let them fix it CORRECTLY or swap it out. I know they changed the mold recently and the second one I got has been 100% reliable since the day it was mounted.

Everyone should take note of how AG composites is handling issues. No matter what product you buy there are going to be lemons, whether it’s a car, rifle, gun, hunting pack, dishwasher, etc. AG composites CARE about their customers and are communicative and willing to make it right. As far as I’m concerned, that’s about all I can ask for (unless you can find a manufacturer with ZERO issues, which likely doesn’t exist).

WVHick

FNG
Longer action screw is a band aid fix for the tikka, the mag to operate well requires it to be up tight to the action.

A mag spring adjust is another band aid fix.

In an aftermarket stock that mag should be tight up against the action when seated.

The AG I had for a short time, I initially thought I could fix the problem with a longer screw, not the case, the tikka require a fixed spacing between that bottom metal and receiver unlike a 700 clone where you have some leeway
This was what was going through my head last night when deciding if we should inlet a little deeper. If I have the bottom metal to action spacing correct, the screw length should be perfect, but theres maybe 2-2.5 full threads of engagement. I'm gonna maybe go .020 deeper and see where we end up. I'm impatient and want to fix this myself instead of waiting on a smith.

Lawnboi

WKR
This was what was going through my head last night when deciding if we should inlet a little deeper. If I have the bottom metal to action spacing correct, the screw length should be perfect, but theres maybe 2-2.5 full threads of engagement. I'm gonna maybe go .020 deeper and see where we end up. I'm impatient and want to fix this myself instead of waiting on a smith.
Before they corrected the mold my stock came to me on a custom build with a thread of engagement on the back screw and the rifle wouldn’t feed. I feel your pain. My solution was to buy mcmillan, manners and KRG. The alpine hunter is a slick design, if they have it figured out I’d consider another, but it’s hard for me to look past an EH1.

WVHick

FNG
Sounds like it was a one off if there is as a milling issue. I’d send it back to AG composites rather than a gun smith. Let them fix it CORRECTLY or swap it out. I know they changed the mold recently and the second one I got has been 100% reliable since the day it was mounted.

Everyone should take note of how AG composites is handling issues. No matter what product you buy there are going to be lemons, whether it’s a car, rifle, gun, hunting pack, dishwasher, etc. AG composites CARE about their customers and are communicative and willing to make it right. As far as I’m concerned, that’s about all I can ask for (unless you can find a manufacturer with ZERO issues, which likely doesn’t exist).
I have way more faith in LRI than AG Composites. They are incredible at what they do and incredible machinists. I understand EVERY company has issues, but I'm having the same issues that other people have been having for apparently a year or more that still aren't resolved. And I just received the stock 2 weeks ago so I'd hope it has the updated mold.

I agree that it's nice that they're willing to fix it and stand behind it. That says a lot and it's what they should do. I just don't have any confidence in sending it back to them. I'm done bashing them, I truly believe they're good people - I apologize for being frustrated.

Savagenut

WKR
If your going to pay lri to inlet it. Get a flat top. And save some coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVHick

FNG
I've had em open up a standard Tikka bottom metal inlet for me before to a CTR inlet. It was around $80 plus shippinh. I've purchased several used sporter barrel channel stocks before and had them open em up for Proofs and that's been about $95 and they're always perfect.