Tikka Barrel Swap - Proof Prefit Barrel Question

I ordered a Tikka action and a Proof Research prefit barrel for it. A local gunsmith quoted $250 to torque it to specs and another $75 if they have to rent the go / no go gauges. This seems astronomical to me. What price range should I be expecting? Do any of you have recommendations of a gunsmith I can ship it to that has experience with Tikka barrel swaps?

That’s nuts. If you have the action without a barrel, it’s pretty dang easy to do yourself. Wheeler action wrench and a barrel vise clamped into a strong regular vise, or bolted down. Buy the go gauge they’re cheap, and for No Go add scotch tape to the back. Lots of how-to videos out there. I just did one for the first time and it worked great. I did not use a torque wrench.

Otherwise find someone else, it should not be that expensive.

rootacres

WKR
Thats pretty crazy. For sub $250 you can buy everything you need. Barrel vice and action wrench. You may already have the torque wrench. Personally I stopped buying gauges, I rent them myself for a few dollars a day. Unless you plan on popping barrels on and off the same action owning isnt necessary in my opinion.

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
Thats pretty crazy. For sub $250 you can buy everything you need. Barrel vice and action wrench. You may already have the torque wrench. Personally I stopped buying gauges, I rent them myself for a few dollars a day. Unless you plan on popping barrels on and off the same action owning isnt necessary in my opinion.
Is there an online retailer you like to rent them from? Or is it a local spot?

I ordered a criterion barrel for a savage and a local smith removed the old barrel, installed the new one, and headspaced it for $105. Idk if tikkas are more work than savage, but that is what I paid

rootacres

WKR
Is there an online retailer you like to rent them from? Or is it a local spot?

I think this is the place is used. I couldn't find the order in my email. I just threw a 7mm SAUM Proof prefit on my Origin action. With a tikka action wrench, a barrel vice and torque wrench you are in business. It took me just a couple minutes.

davsco

WKR
yeah if you have the bare action, i'd just buy the tools and gauges and torque that barrel on myself.

i sent my tikka factory barrelled action, and a new proof tikka carbon prefit, to patriot valley arms. they removed the factory barrel and installed the proof for $75 + $50 shipping. they do have $100 and $200 rush fees so make sure you talk with them beforehand about what time frame you want and what that costs. if you search on snipershide.com i believe there are a few other companies doing this.

davsco

WKR
where'd you buy the bare action? i wanted to do that but didn't see any in stock anywhere when i looked.

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
I decided to buy the tools and do it myself. May look to sell some of them on here once im done to save other people the hassle as well. Plans for the rifle are a Proof 7mag barrel, AG Composites Alpine Hunter stock, APA Little Bastard brake, Atlasworxs bolt handle and shroud. New bottom metal eventually. Can’t wait to get it up and running.

archp625

WKR
That price seems crazy to me. Looks like your smith is a little pissed about the prefix barrel. He’s making up for it as if you brought him a normal barrel.

BWB

FNG
That price seems crazy to me. Looks like your smith is a little pissed about the prefix barrel. He’s making up for it as if you brought him a normal barrel.
I'm going to agree that the smith just doesn't want to deal with it and quoted a price he WOULD be willing to do it for. That's like $1500 an hour, he's paying himself HAHA

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
How did everything turn out? I was able to get a barrel off with a little work! kinda crazy the prices they charge

Are you sure he understood it was a prefit? That is about the price my smith charges to chamber a blank barrel

There are members here at Rokslide that will loan you all the tools you need. Maybe not the gauges but those are easily available.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
any update on how this went?
Buying the barrel vise and doing it myself was a great option. I used the 7mag for a year, then sold the barrel and bought a Proof prefit in 7PRC. Also put a 6.5CM barrel on another Tikka action. Sometimes I rent the headspace gauges, and if that isn't an option, I buy them and resell them when I'm done. It has been a pretty easy process overall.

Buying the barrel vise and doing it myself was a great option. I used the 7mag for a year, then sold the barrel and bought a Proof prefit in 7PRC. Also put a 6.5CM barrel on another Tikka action. Sometimes I rent the headspace gauges, and if that isn't an option, I buy them and resell them when I'm done. It has been a pretty easy process overall.
I have a proof 7 mag pre-fit on the way. was going back and forth between 7mag and PRC. Any reason you swapped?