Tikka slam fire PSA

Reviving this to not further clutter the Rokstok thread..

@mxgsfmdpx mentioned shimming the aftermarket bottom metal to avoid slam fires, is there a tutorial on this somewhere? I have some High Desert bottom metal on the way for the rokstok and have MT bottom metal on another tikka, want to make sure I'm safe with these rifles..

Part of the equation on my rifle is also the softer aftermarket trigger spring installed, combined with multiple aftermarket parts and tolerance stacking... I am guessing that with the factory trigger spring, you may not need the shims, HOWEVER, please carefully review the guide provided by High Desert (linked below).

As a note, both of my Stocky's VG2 stocks and now my Rokstock have required the shims when torqued to high values. If you torque to lower values (below around 50" lbs) you will also not likely see the slam fire issue. Mine are all set to 65" lbs with shims and I cannot get them to slam fire anymore, even with an aftermarket softer trigger spring.

Also, as another side note, the following brand stocks (multiple samples of each) never gave me slam fire issues, meaning, blaming the soft trigger spring isn't necessarily "fair" or the "root cause"... McMillan, KRG, Mesa Altitude, AG Composites, Manners, and obviously a dozen or so factory stocks both their faux wood style and plastic.

Here is their explanation as to why shims here...

Here are instructions...

The other day I was out in the shop messing around and decided to pick up one of my Tikka's and practice manipulating the bolt rapidly. After a time or two something didn’t feel correct. It was releasing the firing pin on closing. Luckily it was on an empty chamber.

After a close inspection and tear down, I found the problem to be the Allen screw holding the trigger assembly to the action was loose. Upon further examination, it took roughly 1/4 of a turn from tight to allow enough slop in the trigger assembly for the seer to release the firing pin. I also noticed this screw does not have any loctite applied from the factory (checked two other Tikkas).

Going forward every one will be loctited!

Not sure why it was loose, could have shot loose or the smith who shortened the barrel a couple hundred of rounds ago my have not torqued it properly. Ultimately it is my gun and my fault for not checking everything. I do know that the sinking feeling in my stomach was terrible, especially knowing that my wife and father just used the gun on hunts. Fortunately nothing bad happened, but from now on trigger housing screws will be checked, torqued, and loctited!

Ryan
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

I have a .308 CTR and the trigger needs no new spring on my rifle. I like it just the way it is…but something to check when it’s our of the stock from time to time.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Just added loctite to both my tikkas and retorqued to 55. They were both snug, but had both barrels cut and threaded recently.

As a note, both of my Stocky's VG2 stocks and now my Rokstock have required the shims when torqued to high values. If you torque to lower values (below around 50" lbs) you will also not likely see the slam fire issue. Mine are all set to 65" lbs with shims and I cannot get them to slam fire anymore, even with an aftermarket softer trigger spring.

Also, as another side note, the following brand stocks (multiple samples of each) never gave me slam fire issues, meaning, blaming the soft trigger spring isn't necessarily "fair" or the "root cause"... McMillan, KRG, Mesa Altitude, AG Composites, Manners, and obviously a dozen or so factory stocks both their faux wood style and plastic.
Do you think the stocky’s are more compressible so the high torque (without shims) leads to it loosening over time and causing the slamfire?

Last edited:
Back