Tikka slam fire

Hagas4all

FNG
I put Mountain Tactical tikka trigger springs in two of my tikkas. Loved how the trigger felt but when doing some dry fire drills I was getting slam fires when working the the bolt hard. I tried to put additional pressure on the springs but it made no difference as the springs are just to weak. After putting factory springs back in I have no issues.

Although not a necessity to get the pull weight down much further than factory I am wondering now if a Timney or Midas trigger could lower pull weight safely?

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I put Mountain Tactical tikka trigger springs in two of my tikkas. Loved how the trigger felt but when doing some dry fire drills I was getting slam fires when working the the bolt hard. I tried to put additional pressure on the springs but it made no difference as the springs are just to weak. After putting factory springs back in I have no issues.

Although not a necessity to get the pull weight down much further than factory I am wondering now if a Timney or Midas trigger could lower pull weight safely?
I would reach out to mountain tactical on this and see if they can provide new springs, when I installed mine I backed it out all the way and have had no issues. Sounds like you may have a bad batch of springs and if that’s the case others might too and should be reported to the manufacture so they can look into this.

morgaj1

WKR
I would reach out to mountain tactical on this and see if they can provide new springs, when I installed mine I backed it out all the way and have had no issues. Sounds like you may have a bad batch of springs and if that’s the case others might too and should be reported to the manufacture so they can look into this.
Good advice here.

PNWGATOR

WKR
One of the best things about a Tikka is the factory Trigger. Recommend you leave the factory springs and simply adjust them as light as they’ll go and move ahead.

An aftermarket trigger replacement would be a significant step backwards and compromise reliability.

morgaj1

WKR
An intermediate option is the hunter spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. This spring lightens the pull, but not as much as other springs.

OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG
This is one of the exact reasons I’m hesitant to change the factory trigger at all. Shame you’re having to deal with this!
Thanks danger. Just glad I found the problem before I was in the field. Hopefully this helps others do some testing that have also done a lighter spring.

OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG

Need to correct this was actually a Yodave trigger spring and not mountain tactical.

I corresponded with the company and they said no one has ever reported the problem. Here is what he thinks:

“what is your trigger pull set to? a light trigger pull and slamming the bolt hard can result in enough vibration to cause the trigger to move enough for the rifle to fire, this is why we hold the rifle and slap the butt on the recoil pad to ensure that rifle won't bump fire, working the bolt hard could be the issue with a very light sensitive trigger”

BAKPAKR

WKR
Need to correct this was actually a Yodave trigger spring and not mountain tactical.

I corresponded with the company and they said no one has ever reported the problem. Here is what he thinks:

“what is your trigger pull set to? a light trigger pull and slamming the bolt hard can result in enough vibration to cause the trigger to move enough for the rifle to fire, this is why we hold the rifle and slap the butt on the recoil pad to ensure that rifle won't bump fire, working the bolt hard could be the issue with a very light sensitive trigger”
As a new member, do you have edit ability that will allow you to edit your original post to correct the source name for the spring? For me, the edit button is accessed by hitting the down arrow on the lower left side of the post.

Need to post in the FNG forum so I can ask if it's supposed to be Haggis or you actually mean Hagas.

Can't help you on the trigger springs.

OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG
As a new member, do you have edit ability that will allow you to edit your original post to correct the source name for the spring? For me, the edit button is accessed by hitting the down arrow on the lower left side of the post.
I don’t.

id_jon

WKR
Oddly enough, I also had this issue on Saturday while dry firing, Mountain tactical spring set at 1.75lbs. I thought about making a post about it even. I found that it only happened when running the bolt as hard and fast as I possibly could AND with heavy thumb pressure on the back of the bolt.

Antares

WKR
I have three Tikkas with MT springs backed off as low as they’ll go (hitting the stop screw) and I’ve never had a slam fire. Ever. Also, I’ve aggressively drop tested them (butt first) on a hardwood floor and never had them fire. I’m confident mine are safe.