Tikka T3X Lite

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not all blueing is created equal. I have mostly cerakoted Tikka rifles that were blued. Prior to cerakoting they'd show rust on an oiled rag after a humid hunt. I had older firearms that I've hunted with in Louisiana that never showed corrosion with minimal care.
You are right, not all bluing is equal and as it happens, in my experience, tikka has some of the worst bluing out there. I’ve seen those guns rust almost instantly where my Ruger 77/22 with hard deep bluing dosent have a spot of rust on it after taking it out boating and snowmobiling in Alaska for the past decade. My t1x just rusts. I wipe it down the. When I pull it out again, it’s rusting.

I bought my first Tikka in 2011, a blued barrel T3 in 308. I have been buying Tikkas ever since. Tikkas have arguably the smoothest action of any factory bolt action on the market and their cold hammer forged barrels are accurate and don’t require any break in regimen. Add in the fact their are lightweight and can be had for under $1K, they make excellent hunting rifles.

I owned a T3X Superlite in 30-06 and I will tell you it kicked like a mule. Sold it to a friend only for the fact he really wanted one. Otherwise I’d still have that rifle. I loved it.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
You are right, not all bluing is equal and as it happens, in my experience, tikka has some of the worst bluing out there. I’ve seen those guns rust almost instantly where my Ruger 77/22 with hard deep bluing dosent have a spot of rust on it after taking it out boating and snowmobiling in Alaska for the past decade. My t1x just rusts. I wipe it down the. When I pull it out again, it’s rusting.
The T1X has been on my radar, if Tikka would just do the right thing and make one in stainless.

roadhntr

FNG
Rokslide is the Tikka fan club. Other than cartridge selection, you will not find many people around here saying anything against them.

That said, I recently switched to Tikkas and think they are great rifles.

30-06 will certainly get the job done, I would choose something smaller. I replaced my 30-06 with a 308, and now I want to pull the 308 barrel and put a 6 CM on it, though I would take a 6.5 CM or a 7mm-08 over the 308 or 30-06 as well.
I'll say something negative again Tikka. They don't support left handed shooters much, so I won't support them. I went with savage instead. 😊

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ve echoed this a few times on here so hopefully it isn’t too over played.

But especially the tikka in 6.5C is long throated (on all from what I can tell…I have 3 in 6.5C….please don’t ask why).

If you handload and load out closer to the lands you can get awesome performance without pressure. It bridges much closer to factory 6.5 PRC. I’ve attached my load up from Friday. I stopped at 2940fps with 143eldx (24” factory barrel). There is a Barnes/litz article that talks about how this works and why it’s safe (you are basically wildcatting a long 6.5C). In my case mine are about 2.93” vs 2.825”. That .1” is what enables this.

I’m not convinced yet I’d elk hunt with it but getting close. It’s potent for a smaller caliber. Carries 1500ftlbs to 500yds at sea level…impressive. Fwiw this will match a 30-06 with factory loads according to my ballistic app (180g accubond) . And do it much flatter (14” less drop at 500yds). I’m not positive but assume hand loads would give the -06 advantage again.

Attachments

• IMG_9829.jpeg
    IMG_9829.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9821.jpeg
    IMG_9821.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 12

Matt5266

WKR
Tikka, yes...Better calibers than '06 these days for all around hunting, IMO. I'd look at the 6.5s...shot my first bull with a 6.5CM at 534 yds and he went about 4 feet before he dropped. Maybe look into the 6.5PRC. TONS of info on this forum for you to dive into
Just curious, what bullet you shooting?

nobody

WKR
Not in the 6.5 prc for t3x lite and superlite.
They don’t import ANY of the lite/super lite models in 6.5 PRC, not even right handed. You have to get an upgraded model to get 6.5 PRC in either hand, like a rough tech. So it’s not a left hand issue with that case.

roadhntr

FNG
They don’t import ANY of the lite/super lite models in 6.5 PRC, not even right handed. You have to get an upgraded model to get 6.5 PRC in either hand, like a rough tech. So it’s not a left hand issue with that case.
I'm not sure what you you mean by not importing. I just on their site and they do offer the lite and super lite in right handed 6.5 prc but not left handed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204-122310.png
    Screenshot_20240204-122310.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 14

nobody

WKR
I'm not sure what you you mean by not importing. I just on their site and they do offer the lite and super lite in right handed 6.5 prc but not left handed.
That’s a European only model. They don’t import those from Finland to the US in 6.5 PRC. So not even us right handers can get that rifle.

roadhntr

FNG
That’s a European only model. They don’t import those from Finland to the US in 6.5 PRC. So not even us right handers can get that rifle.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I guess that's another reason why I we wouldn't buy from Tikka. lol

nobody

WKR
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I guess that's another reason why I we wouldn't buy from Tikka. lol
Suit yourself, plenty of other left handed tikka options available.

To the OP, you’ll be well served by a stainless tikka for your use case. 30-06 is a great cartridge and will do everything you want, but so will other chamberings. If you want/feel like you need a 30 cal, I say go with 308 instead of the -06. If you actually do think you’ll do any longer range, an 8 twist 243 or a 6.5 creed is your answer. But honestly, any non-magnum cartridge in a standard stainless model is all the rifle you’ll ever need, no matter what or where you’re hunting.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Seeing quite a few references to recoil influencing caliber choice in this thread, I thought I'd share an experience I recently had. I shot two 300wsm rifles back to back from the same rest on the same bench. A 110 Storm and a T3X. Both moved my body with the same overall force but the Tikka gave me a sting/bruise to the shoulder that the Savage didn't. Very distinct difference. I attribute the difference to the recoil pads. I think the stock T3X recoil pad pretty much sucks for any real recoil, and swapping for something like a limbsaver would make a world of difference.

So, if 30-06 is what you want, don't let the felt recoil stories scare you off.

That being said I'm currently moving to a smaller caliber because I want to be able to continue watching the animal and see my impact in my scope.

...also moving from Savage to Tikka...

roadhntr

FNG
Suit yourself, plenty of other left handed tikka options available.

To the OP, you’ll be well served by a stainless tikka for your use case. 30-06 is a great cartridge and will do everything you want, but so will other chamberings. If you want/feel like you need a 30 cal, I say go with 308 instead of the -06. If you actually do think you’ll do any longer range, an 8 twist 243 or a 6.5 creed is your answer. But honestly, any non-magnum cartridge in a standard stainless model is all the rifle you’ll ever need, no matter what or where you’re hunting.
Actually, I have heard a lot of good things about the Tikka and I have friends that love that brand. I was just disappointed in the selection of left hand rifles in the model and caliber that I was interested in.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get a tikka t3x lite in 30-06 for hunting out west and deer hunting in northern minnesota. Wanted to see what every thinks of the gun if they have one and if they find it acceptable for long range hunting out west.
30-06 is not the very first option I'd choose for long range hunting, but it certainly can function very effectively at long range with the right bullet. If you handload, even better.

What distances are you proficient and comfortable taking shots on animals?

Mulyhuntr

WKR
8 twist 243 or 6.5c will kill anything you want out west at very long distances. Also much more enjoyable to shoot than an '06.