Tikka T3X Superlite: Questions on 300 Win Mag vs. 30-06

OP
A
I spent last night reading a bunch of comparison articles, 30-06 vs 300 win mag vs 6.5 Creedmoor vs 7 mm rem mag and on and on. Also read through that thread TxxAgg shared. I’m starting to think maybe I’m overthinking things.

Tikka T3X Lite and Superlites with stainless barrels are fairly scarce right now from what I’m seeing, regardless of caliber. Very limited options on GunBroker and ArmsList and the Sportsman’s/Cabelas kinda of box box stores’ sites. It seems like a lot of calibers are gonna be capable of killing stuff dead at the kinds of ranges I’m planning on taking shots from with factory ammo, so I’m thinking maybe I just need to prioritize finding a good deal on any of these calibers we are talking about in this thread. Pros and cons to all calibers in different settings and with different uses, and guys are killing elk at 600+ yards with the “wee” 6.5 CM.

MattiG

FNG
Are you going to add a bunch of parts? Stock, barrel, brake? If so, 300 win mag is fine. I was really worried about the recoil, but I put 3 boxes through it on day one and while it's definitely not my 6.5CM with a varmint barrel, it's plenty liveable with and without the muzzle brake.

I went with the win mag because I don't currently want a big rifle collection. I want the flexibility to practice and hunt long ranges.

I'm sorry I can't comment on recoil on a stock 300wm Tikka, but others here seem to say it's not their favorite to shoot all day.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
A
Neither.

Personally, for your application and if it’s legal to kill big game in HI with .22 centerfires, I’d go with a .223. If not legal, then I’d go with a 6.5CM only because they don’t offer a factory 6CM.

Bullets matter.

Everything you‘re wanting to accomplish can be done VERY effectively with WAY less recoil.
I checked the regs, and .223 is the minimum allowed. But I would have a hard time going this route as I want one rifle to do it all. Being in the military and moving every couple years, especially to places like Hawaii with the strictest firearm laws in the nation, is a pain in the ass, and I don't like lugging a bunch of guns around, registering them on all the bases we live on and registering them with local law enforcement like we need to do in Hawaii and declaring them with the movers, and so forth. I will say I am considering a 6.5 at this point though, I think my mind is open to the possibility of a 6.5 CM now and it wasn't really before starting this thread.
Are you going to add a bunch of parts? Stock, barrel, brake? If so, 300 win mag is fine. I was really worried about the recoil, but I put 3 boxes through it on day one and while it's definitely not my 6.5CM with a varmint barrel, it's plenty liveable with and without the muzzle brake.

I went with the win mag because I don't currently want a big rifle collection. I want the flexibility to practice and hunt long ranges.

I'm sorry I can't comment on recoil on a stock 300wm Tikka, but others here seem to say it's not their favorite to shoot all day.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Stock/limbsaver, yes. Wouldn't plan on any barrel swaps or brakes probably. I also don't want/can't have a big rifle collection. I COULD, but man it's a pain in the ass moving around as much as I do with guns.

PNWGATOR

WKR
The .223 with the right bullet will do everything you outlined in your original post. It’s also an affordable delivery platform from which to learn to become a rifleman. i shoot my 223 more than all of my larger rifles combined. Know it seemingly goes against the grain, but I assure you it’d be my first choice for every big game animal inside of 400 yds as you mentioned.

The right bullet out of the 6.5CM will do it too. It just comes with the price of more recoil and greater cost.

Owned a T3 hunter in 30-06, so heavier than the super light. It kicked, but would have been manageable with a decent recoil pad.
We

If it were me, I’d lean towards a 270 in these rifles, or 25-06 if they had the audacity to chamber a quarter bore. These would be lighter kicking… you can probably get away without a muzzle br, helping save your hearing.

You also get to take advantage of the long action the rifle comes with instead of eating a bit of overall length on short action chamberings.

Seeknelk

WKR
Neither.

Personally, for your application and if it’s legal to kill big game in HI with .22 centerfires, I’d go with a .223. If not legal, then I’d go with a 6.5CM only because they don’t offer a factory 6CM.

Bullets matter.

Everything you‘re wanting to accomplish can be done VERY effectively with WAY less recoil.
THIS!

Seeknelk

WKR
Owned a T3 hunter in 30-06, so heavier than the super light. It kicked, but would have been manageable with a decent recoil pad.
We

If it were me, I’d lean towards a 270 in these rifles, or 25-06 if they had the audacity to chamber a quarter bore. These would be lighter kicking… you can probably get away without a muzzle br, helping save your hearing.

You also get to take advantage of the long action the rifle comes with instead of eating a bit of overall length on short action chamberings.
The Tikka is really a medium length action. It's literally perfect for the wsm , saum and 6.5 prc case class.

Gorp2007

WKR
If it were me (and it's not), I'd get a 6.5 CM and head to Hawaii. That'll kill anything you want to kill on the islands plenty dead. Then, if you decide you want something bigger down the road, get a prefit 30-06, 270, or 280AI and get it spun on or buy a barrel vise and DIY. Security Forces doesn't care how many spare barrels you've got, so you don't have to worry about checking it into the armory when you move. As a bonus, you can get your prefit barrel threaded for a brake (or a suppressor) so you can mitigate recoil.

The Tikka magazines are only an issue if you're reloading, but you haven't indicated that you're rolling your own so I wouldn't let that be a determining factor. As built from the factory, a Tikka mag will handle any long-action factory ammo just fine.

OP
A
Well I spent a couple hours driving around and looking around online today, and I have found two Tikka T3Xs for sale locally. 6.5 CM Superlite w/ stainless 24" barrel, 1:8 ROT. Or 30-06 w/ 22" stainless barrel, 1:11 ROT. Overall length of the 30-06 is 4" shorter than the 6.5 CM (42" vs 46"), but the 6.5 Superlite is .5-.7 lbs lighter than the 30-06 Lite.

Can anyone tell me any reason why they don't recommend this 6.5 CM? I did not know before starting this thread that I can just get a 300 Win Mag barrel fitted later in life after I'm done with the Axis deer and smaller game in Hawaii and if I decide I need a bigger caliber for bigger game.

Is that the barrel length and ROT that works best with 6.5 CM?

Gorp2007

WKR
Well I spent a couple hours driving around and looking around online today, and I have found two Tikka T3Xs for sale locally. 6.5 CM Superlite w/ stainless 24" barrel, 1:8 ROT. Or 30-06 w/ 22" stainless barrel, 1:11 ROT. Overall length of the 30-06 is 4" shorter than the 6.5 CM (42" vs 46"), but the 6.5 Superlite is .5-.7 lbs lighter than the 30-06 Lite.

Can anyone tell me any reason why they don't recommend this 6.5 CM? I did not know before starting this thread that I can just get a 300 Win Mag barrel fitted later in life after I'm done with the Axis deer and smaller game in Hawaii and if I decide I need a bigger caliber for bigger game.

1) Only reason I'd be hesitant because you can't cut back a superlite as easily down the road for a suppressor or brake. If you're not running a suppressor I'd go for it.

2) You'll need a new bolt (or get your bolt face opened up) to go from 6.5 CM to a magnum. But a standard long action like a 30-06 is just a barrel swap away.

OP
A
1) Only reason I'd be hesitant because you can't cut back a superlite as easily down the road for a suppressor or brake. If you're not running a suppressor I'd go for it.

2) You'll need a new bolt (or get your bolt face opened up) to go from 6.5 CM to a magnum. But a standard long action like a 30-06 is just a barrel swap away.
Ah yep I misspoke, I meant to say barrel swap to 30-06 and not 300 Win Mag.

I’d grab the 6.5 CM and go hunt.

Folks love to trash talk the 6.5 CM and those that shoot it. The reality is the 6.5 CM, with appropriate ammo, is just fine for hunting anything in the lower 49 at most reasonable distances.

I have the T3x lite in 300 win mag and loaded 225 eldms. Yes one at a time due mag length limitations. Shot well for first few down the tube. Backing off to 178 eldms with mag length to try those.

I have both the T3X in 30-06 and the T3X SL in 6.5cm. My 30-06 loves the 180 Accubonds and my 6.5 loves 143 precision hunter. The 30-06 packs a punch and is nowhere as much fun to shoot. When I went hunting this fall I took the 6.5 cm and put a buck down. You can shoot the 6.5 tons and get proficient and have fun doing it. It also is easier to keep your eye in the scope for follow up shots. I know lots of people say a 6.5 will take and elk and they are right with a perfect shot but when you get an elk tag you have an excuse and a reason to get the larger caliber. Lots of practice and knowing what your gun can do is most important. Any of the calibers mentioned will work just fine. Now If I were to have only one gun for both it would be the 6.8 western and I would make sure exactly what it would do. It drives traditionalist crazy but why not go with modern technology if you do not already have a rifle. My 30-06 will be replaced with my new 300PRC. My stable will be the 6.5 CM, 6.8 western, and the 300PRC. The 6.5PRC is also a great choice but ammo is difficult to find and a little more expensive.

I have both the T3X in 30-06 and the T3X SL in 6.5cm. My 30-06 loves the 180 Accubonds and my 6.5 loves 143 precision hunter. The 30-06 packs a punch and is nowhere as much fun to shoot. When I went hunting this fall I took the 6.5 cm and put a buck down. You can shoot the 6.5 tons and get proficient and have fun doing it. It also is easier to keep your eye in the scope for follow up shots. I know lots of people say a 6.5 will take and elk and they are right with a perfect shot but when you get an elk tag you have an excuse and a reason to get the larger caliber. Lots of practice and knowing what your gun can do is most important. Any of the calibers mentioned will work just fine. Now If I were to have only one gun for both it would be the 6.8 western and I would make sure exactly what it would do. It drives traditionalist crazy but why not go with modern technology if you do not already have a rifle. My 30-06 will be replaced with my new 300PRC. My stable will be the 6.5 CM, 6.8 western, and the 300PRC. The 6.5PRC is also a great choice but ammo is difficult to find and a little more expensive.
Those three cartridges will serve you well.

prm

WKR
Get 6.5. I’d go -06 only if elk, moose, and bear were what it was primarily for, and if hunting in Africa.

prm

WKR
All great choices, but out if curiosity, what would make you choose the 6.8 W over 300PRC, or vice versa for a given hunt? Seem like the same thing to me. I’m terrible about choosing rifles to hunt with and need clear definition to minimize indecision. I would really like a T3X Superlite in 6.8 Western. Given that doesn’t exist in factory form, a 6.5 PRC would be a good do-it-all.

TxxAgg

WKR

There is a 2" difference in those guns, not 4".

I'd get the 6.5. I've had three T3x 6.5's and a T3x 30-06, and several in 308, and a couple in 223. Yo be happy with the 6.5

The only reason they don't recommend the 6.5 Man bun is because its new, it kicks ass ballistically and somewhat insults our sporting culture. A few years ago I asked this very same question and bought the Tikka 30-06 sent if off to Hill Country Rifles to get fancy. It is a great gun. Remember the 06 in 30-06 refers to 1906. That is 116 years ago. There are tons and tons of stories and nostalgia deep seated in our hunting history. Maybe I am wrong but I see Rocksliders as traditional and loyal. It kinda feels like you are cheating on history, grandpa, and hunting legends when you slip the new 6.5 or PRC whatever in the safe next to the family heirloom.