Tikka T3X vs Bergara B14 HMR

BlackFlag

FNG
I apologize for this type of thread since I know they appear often, but I’m a bit out of my element.

I understand this is more of an apples to oranges type question, nonetheless this seems to be my conundrum.

Price here is not an issue as I’m blessed to have the contacts where I get either for about the same price. I am however looking to fill a western hunting rifle role with whatever I choose. I was pretty firm on the Tikka, but it’s been difficult to attain since the cartridge I desire hasn’t been in stock dang near anywhere.

My concerns here is the weight and value. I’ve acquired a scope that’s already at approximately 2lbs, and the Bergara is 2.5 lbs or so more than the tikka. I may be splitting hairs and over complicating the issue, but I prefer to buy once and not go through what I consider the hassle of flipping a hunting rifle later on. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
The HMR is a great rifle. I own one, but it's unnecessarily heavy if you're lugging it around for a backcountry hunt. The Tikka is more of a traditional hunting style rifle. I wouldn't want to carry the HMR more than a mile. It's probably more difficult to shoot offhand as well, some folks like heavier rifles for offhand shooting though so personal preference on that point. All depends on your style of hunting. Both are great rifles - if you can get them cheap just buy both.

twall13

WKR
I also own the Bergara HMR and really like it. It's very accurate and comfortable to shoot. All that said it is most definitely not a light rifle. If weight is a big concern the Tikka is probably the better route. The stock is going to be better on the Bergara, both actions will be smooth to operate and both should be accurate rifles.

I'm willing to pack the Bergara on more hunts than most just because I have a lot of confidence in that setup and feel really comfortable shooting it. That said, I'd still be looking for a lighter setup for a deep backcountry hunt or a goat/sheep hunt.

With a 2 lbs. scope this doesn't sound like a super light setup so I guess it kind of boils down to what you expect to do with the rifle. Antelope hunting? Get the Bergara. 6 mile deep backpack hunt, the Tikka is going to be a better option but I'd personally be looking for a lighter scope to put on it, but again, that's just me. More details on your expectations might be helpful in giving recommendations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
B

BlackFlag

FNG
I currently reside in Arizona, so my hunts would consist mostly of mule deer and coues deer. I am looking at surrounding states for elk hunting (Colorado) as well.

The scope was solely based on recommendation. I thought it maybe too heavy, but I figured it would help with felt recoil if going with a 6.5 lb rifle in 300 win mag (Tikka).

Unfortunately this is one of those circumstances where I don’t know what I don’t know. So following recommendations from those who have used these types of set ups in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
You're looking at two completely different styles of rifle. From your later comment, I gather you are looking at a 300 Win Mag. The added weight of the HMR is going to make recoil much more manageable than a lightweight Tikka T3X sporter, so you'll have to decide whether packing weight or recoil reduction is more important to you. I've had several Tikkas, including a CTR in 6.5Creedmoor that the most accurate rifle I've ever owned; and I have my first Bergara on order--a Highlander in 280AI. Either one is likely to be very accurate. The Tikka factory trigger is superb, and only gets better with after swapping out the trigger spring for less than $20. The Bergara trigger is decent, but my understanding is that it is not quite as nice as the Tikka, and many folks upgrade them. The Tikka is going to have some plastic parts, and although the stock ergonomics fit me well, others find the HMR style a much better fit. The Tikka stock is a lightweight polymer sporter that weighs around 28oz. The HMR stock is a heavier composite with an aluminum bedding block that approaches 4lbs--that is where most of the weight difference comes from. If you are going to be setting up for long shots without a lot of hiking, you'll be very happy with the HMR. If you are going to have to hoof it, go for the Tikka.

rlmmarine

WKR
There is a 300 win mag superlight here at the bass pro in daytona
I know they willship to other bass pros so get the gun you first looked at

twall13

WKR
On the note of recoil, the Bergara also comes pre threaded for a brake if you feel you need it after shooting a bit. Of course you can always add one to the Tikka as well but it's nice that the Bergara comes ready to go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I bought a T3 lite in 300 wm years ago. Cost me $175 for a brake. I can shoot with one hand easily now with my loads (which are no where approaching light). Best compromise for performance/weight. Only loud for someone standing to your side. I hike miles and creatures die without much fanfare. Love that gun.