Tikka - tough/tight bolt closure? normal?

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Have you contacted tikka
No. I found this out late Thursday night, I ran back to the shop Friday on my lunch hour and got in touch with the gun smith late that afternoon.

Monday I am dropping to the smith and will call Tikka. I am running out of time.

The last time I had an issue with a rifle I spent $75 in shipping, was issued a new rifle 8 months later and spent another $150 on transfer fees and dros. I don't care to ship back until a local smith looks at it.

Last edited:
I agree with the previous post about the ammo being wrong. Whether it’s in the ogive or the shoulder in the brass. Take the ammo with you to the smith and he can measure it out and get a better idea.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
I agree with the previous post about the ammo being wrong. Whether it’s in the ogive or the shoulder in the brass. Take the ammo with you to the smith and he can measure it out and get a better idea.
I am not disagreeing with you...but 5 of the 6 ammo are from really snug to darn tight. Only one cycles decent. Thats a lot of manufactures that are off. And my older 308 can cycle all of them fine.

And I do plan to drop the ammo off with the rifle.

Josh.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
The gunsmith took a look. Polished the lugs on the bolt and gave a little headspace. The bolt closed on the go gauge with slight resistance at first. There was binding on the neck of the ammo.

I went to the range with that rifle and the 7mag. The 7mag shot .75 groups and the 308 shot .50 groups with factory ammo.

The saga is over! Thank God.

At one point after 15 rounds I lost me group on the 308 and the scope loosened up. I had it at the proper torque specs and with blue locktite. I reset it at the range and after 3 groups was at .5". Packed up and left very content with both Tikka. I am a believer in Tikka for sure.

Josh.

OXN939

WKR
The gunsmith took a look. Polished the lugs on the bolt and gave a little headspace. The bolt closed on the go gauge with slight resistance at first. There was binding on the neck of the ammo.

I went to the range with that rifle and the 7mag. The 7mag shot .75 groups and the 308 shot .50 groups with factory ammo.

The saga is over! Thank God.

At one point after 15 rounds I lost me group on the 308 and the scope loosened up. I had it at the proper torque specs and with blue locktite. I reset it at the range and after 3 groups was at .5". Packed up and left very content with both Tikka. I am a believer in Tikka for sure.

Josh.

Bumping this because I've got this same thing going on right now with a brand new T3X, never been fired... bolt is tight to close and getting ejector marks as pictured on several varieties of factory ammo. So. Polish the bolt lugs as a first option?

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.28.54.png