Tikka trigger.. how light is too light?

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I dropped a new after market trigger spring in my Tikka t3x. So far it has performed perfect. It doesn't fire with the drop test, always resets when bolt is worked. But I picked up a wheeler trigger gauge and it's reading 1.25 pounds. Is this too light for safety? Like I said it's working perfectly, but I would rather be safe than sorry. What's the lightest any of you have your triggers set at?

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
2 lbs for my Tikka 300 WM used for hunting. Anything lighter seems unsafe for shooting from a potentially less-than-perfect non-benchrest setup for me. Vertical grip stock made a big difference in the ease of pulling the trigger without moving my hand and pulling the shot.

I had Mountain Tactical trigger springs in my Tikkas and took them out. 1.5 lbs is nice but hand the rifle to one of your kids that hasn't been shooting them and a premature discharge is possible.

I put the factory springs back in and backed them down. Still set at 2 lbs. Factory trigger is great.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I had a lightweight spring in a superlite and my dad had a round go off just chambering the rifle when we were setting up for an evening glass. Only factory springs at lowest setting in hunting rifles for me. Never had any issue with any of my other rifles with a light spring though.

ElPollo

WKR
I like to keep mine in the 2# range or slightly above that. Below that is nice in optimal conditions, but can be sketchy in cold weather and higher stress situations.

JGRaider

WKR
I like to keep mine in the 2# range or slightly above that. Below that is nice in optimal conditions, but can be sketchy in cold weather and higher stress situations.
Agree 100%. Sub 2lbs has no place on my hunting guns. 2lbs is easy achievable with the factory Tikka spring, as others have mentioned.

ElPollo

WKR
Agree 100%. Sub 2lbs has no place on my hunting guns. 2lbs is easy achievable with the factory Tikka spring, as others have mentioned.
Agreed, I’ve never had a need for a replacement spring on a Tikka. They have great triggers.

Vern400

WKR
I shoot 3 lb in my regular hunting rifle.
I shoot 1 lb Jewell in my heavy long range varmint and hunting rifle.
I never shoot with gloves on. Plus real cold where I am is 15° and dead calm.
If anyone else ever shoots my 1 lb trigger, it's on a table. It works for me.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 generations of T3X at the moment and the minimum trigger pull weight has got progressively higher with each rifle unfortunately
That makes sense to me, I couldn't get my new t3x below 3 and it was creepy.

JGRaider

WKR
Take the spring out, clip a couple of coils, reinstall and you'll be good to go again.