Timberline 2 Bag vs HighCamp Bag

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
BigSurArcher Steve O- I believe the bottom of the pack was changed to compromise due to customer feedback. Someone correct me if I'm wrong said:
I do understand some did not like the zipper going all the way around. I do not understand why or how the U shape is better. I am going thru that other 44 page thread...it must be in there somewhere.

6t4nova

WKR
I do understand some did not like the zipper going all the way around. I do not understand why or how the U shape is better. I am going thru that other 44 page thread...it must be in there somewhere.

It provides easier access when the bag is fully packed. I've checked it out and its pretty slick

Lawnboi

WKR

The, all the way around, zipper can be a pain, especially when your pack is only half full

trk3263

WKR
Makes sense, I wonder if it will do this if the spotter was put on the back of the pack. Id try it but im currently without a spotter.

If my pack is empty I just drop the long pockets inside the pack if I can compress them in enough to avoid the annoying sway.

Manosteel

WKR
Does anyone have any pics of the inside of the High Camp bag? Can't seem to find any. I can't recall but I think I read somewhere that the high camp bag has loops for your water balder inside the bag, is that correct?

Snyd

WKR
Interesting discussion. One common thing that seems to pop up in these kinds of threads is the "external spotter pouch". I don't get it... I've got 2 long external pouches on my pack bag and I NEVER put the spotter in them. I figure it's an accident waiting to happen. Either flopping the pack on the ground or slipping backwards on a downhill slope or whatever. I ALWAYS carry my spotter in the pack bag and usually wrapped in my warm layer/coat which I usually put on when stopped to glass anyway. I'd rather have it a little protected than fully exposed.

Interesting discussion. One common thing that seems to pop up in these kinds of threads is the "external spotter pouch". I don't get it... I've got 2 long external pouches on my pack bag and I NEVER put the spotter in them. I figure it's an accident waiting to happen. Either flopping the pack on the ground or slipping backwards on a downhill slope or whatever. I ALWAYS carry my spotter in the pack bag and usually wrapped in my warm layer/coat which I usually put on when stopped to glass anyway. I'd rather have it a little protected than fully exposed.

I think it's the quick access mindset. I plan on carrying my spotter in the designed pockets when actually hunting. I may move some things around and carry it inside the pack while hiking to camp. I think if you keep it in your mind and pay attention to what you're doing then you should be ok.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, what Travis said; some protection, but quick access at the same time.

The pockets are also on the side, and in that location, the optics are more protected compared to having them behind you (when you fall backwards anyway).

Gman

WKR
I also like the side pockets for non-spotter items: trekking poles, para-tarp, tent pegs, jetboil, that days lunch, etc.

Snyd

WKR
Each to his own I guess. I don't see where a layer of cloth adds any protection. As far as quick access it's a matter of seconds to pull a spotter from the main bag. It takes longer to stick it on a tripod and set it up than it does to pull it out. Exterior pockets are handy for raingear, pack cover, food, small items, etc.

I ordered a Bikini frame last month and this year will put my Kelty 50th Ann bag on it. The KeltyFaru :D If I want to do something different in the future I'll probably go with the Highcamp bag. I stopped in at Kifaru last week on my way to visit friends and go skiing. I think the Highcamp Bag and Bikini frame looks like a winner.

peace

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Each to his own I guess. I don't see where a layer of cloth adds any protection. As far as quick access it's a matter of seconds to pull a spotter from the main bag. It takes longer to stick it on a tripod and set it up than it does to pull it out. Exterior pockets are handy for raingear, pack cover, food, small items, etc.

I ordered a Bikini frame last month and this year will put my Kelty 50th Ann bag on it. The KeltyFaru :D If I want to do something different in the future I'll probably go with the Highcamp bag. I stopped in at Kifaru last week on my way to visit friends and go skiing. I think the Highcamp Bag and Bikini frame looks like a winner.

peace

At the very least it will keep your housing from getting scratched. Wearing a sock on your foot won't stop a rock from crushing it, but it keeps your foot from getting scratched........the reason people where them on a stalk.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
And one more DT1/HC question...is there a snow collar on the HC? The brown bag does not show one, but in the Highlander HC photos, it does look like there is one.

peace

When I was in Alaska we used Barney Bags. They have a pocket on the side for a spotter. My buddy was lowering his pack off a cliff with some twine and it was a couple feet short of the ledge below. He let it drop and it hit the ledge, bounced off and tumbled end over end for over 300 yards. His spotting scope was unhurt along with his range finder that was also in a side pocket. It wouldn't even cross my mind that if I fell my spotter might get damaged. Maybe my bow if it was strapped to the back of my pack.

Snyd

WKR
When I was in Alaska we used Barney Bags. They have a pocket on the side for a spotter. My buddy was lowering his pack off a cliff with some twine and it was a couple feet short of the ledge below. He let it drop and it hit the ledge, bounced off and tumbled end over end for over 300 yards. His spotting scope was unhurt along with his range finder that was also in a side pocket. It wouldn't even cross my mind that if I fell my spotter might get damaged. Maybe my bow if it was strapped to the back of my pack.

Whoops.... That could be major disaster. And I'm not talking about the spotter....

trk3263

WKR
Bringing this thread back to life. I have had the HC4800 for my second season now and I am thinking about moving to a Timberline. I normally carry two medium pockets with my HC and I like the long sleeves on the T series for easy access items and maybe even running my bladder in on of the sleeves.
Now that we have all had time with our HC what's your opinions on it compared to the T2 or maybe even the T3.
Does anyone know if the sleeves are figure in to the cubic inches in the T series?

Thanks