Time to lighten up my shelter...

UtahJimmy

WKR
I'm looking to shed some lbs in my overnight setup and identified my tent as my next item to upgrade. I've carried my 7+ lb Kelty Gunnison during summer trips, and w/o the fly when the weather permits, but it is overkill. It also takes up a lot of pack space! I can't do the hammock thing because I usually have the dog (80 lb lab) with me and he likes to snuggle up when we're outdoors (and I can only imagine him trying to jump in and shred it to pieces!!).

I'd like to be in the spike/bivy weight (<2 lbs) so I can stay on the move. I plan on doing a fair amount of scouting this spring/summer so I want to be able to cover some ground.

I'm thinking a tarp w/ tyvek & a bug bivy or an UL 2 man? I'd also like to be able to use this setup w/o the dog once archery season kicks off so the lighter/smaller the better! I usually have trekking poles with me so I plan on using those for a tarp setup.

I've tried searching for shelters with dogs on this forum but "dog" does not get picked up as a keyword?

So what would ya'll recommend for an average sized dude (5-11") and his pup?

Let's see if this insert image thing works:
20160604_170506.jpg

Ruskin

WKR
X2 on Jimmy tarps. I would also think the Kifaru supertarp would shed a lot of weight. The new tut is heavier, but still lighter than what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy tarps is the way to go. You both might be able to fit in a granite mountain if you pack light.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
Hey dude, I'm in the same boat as you. Lots of solo pack trips with my dog whom also likes/needs to be sleeping next to me.. I had a 7lbs Vaude 2man tent which I absolutely love, but dang, that thing was just getting bigger and heavier each year! So I made my move... I ended up with a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2. Super light weight just over 2lbs.. It's plenty big for me, my gear and my dog. I'm 6'3 205lbs and my dog is a 55lbs border collie mix.. Love my set up! I also like the idea of the tarps, but some of the places I go are super buggy. I also purchased a Jimmy Tarps skyline. I believe it's 10x10. I had a few xtra guy outs sown on (by Jimmy tarps for $5 xtra per tie out) to the ridge line for more set up options.. If there's no mosquitoes this is my go to set up.. Bugs and if lots of rain/snow I'm taking my BA ul tent... I feel like for the cost of a Kifaru tarp I've gotten all my needs met! I can't say enough about the Jimmys Tarp though! Love this thing and they are great and easy to work with! The tarp is so light that it is always in my pack!

I'm running a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, BearPaw Designs 8x10 tarp & Snowyside bivy, or Kifaru Tut (w/&w/o stove to cover all my shelter needs.

First off, you won't find anything lighter than the shelters made of cuben fiber. That being said, if you're willing to go floorless and just use an ultralight bivy to sleep in, you can easily get your sleep system below 2 pounds (pad and bag/quilt not included). The MLD Solomid weighs just a hair under 17 ounces all in, including all guylines, stakes, pole extenders, and stuff sacks. Add a 6 oz. bivy to that and you're still a solid 1/2 lb. under 2 lbs. This system also packs down pretty small, and although a little tight, there would be enough room for you and your dog.
687960e7517e583f5017031af187a171.jpg

db5e9e8984c808e7fc051cc5dc98a136.jpg

2d34fb4ec7c9609fcae015a9104f11ee.jpg

Akicita

WKR
When I have the opportunity to take my 80lb German Shepherd K-9 partner with me I always grab one of my floorless shelters. I typically have to go light with him in the mix so I usually grab my Battle Mountain Fly and pole set from my mountaineering kit. He is a pretty talented dog but I haven't figured out how to teach him to wipe his paws before getting in one of my tub-floored shelters so I don't even consider taking any of those.

He likes his own space so If I had to add a shelter with only weight and him in mind I would jump on the Ulatmid 4 or the Cimmaron as they both have many other solo and multi party options for times he is not with me.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Thanks for the input! You guys are always helpful when it comes to spending my money! ;)

I'm looking hard at Jimmy Tarps; probably will end up with the skyline or the paratarp. I had no idea how expensive tarps can be, but I'll be buying a USA made one for sure! There is just so limited information on the Jimmy Tarps... if you're reading this gobbler; we need to get you a website, FB & Ebay are lame!

Anyone have side by side packed comparisons of the skyline, granite mountain, paratarp, and/or supertarp? Maybe next to a nalgene for reference if you can only post one?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Could go ultimate if your bank account can handle it.. I went with a hyper light mountain gear ultamid 4 its 1111 by 111 inch footprint and weighs 20 ounces tipi for a modest 850$ haven't looked back or regretted it.

snowplow

WKR
Im in the same boat as you. I just ordered a TitaniumGoat vertex 5 tipi. Around 25 oz and 8.5x9.5'. 60" tall you can use linked trekking poles and stove compatable. Thats where l landed.

One thing to keep in mind is, advertised weight is not always correct depending on the company that you're dealing with. According to my scale, and the two Hyperlite Mountain Gear shelters that I have owned, they are dead nuts accurate on weight as advertised. I used to own a silnylon shelter that was advertised as weighing 26 oz. and, after I had seam sealed it (which I'll admit, I'm pretty liberal when it comes to seam sealing my shelters. I do both inside and out on all seams), it weighed something like 45 oz. even with my liberal dosing of sealant, I know I didn't add 20 oz. to the shelter.

Jimss

WKR
The setup that works fantastic for me is a 4 season tent. I use the tent, fly, and footprint in the worse conditions (deep snow, constant rain, hurricane winds). I use the 4 season fly off my tent when hunting ultralight. My tent of choice is Hilleberg Nallo. They are bomber-proof. Even the fly alone has stood up to intense weather. I'm pretty sure my fly and pole setup is under 2 lbs. The nice thing about this setup is I have all conditions covered with just one tent and fly. Hilleberg also makes a lighter version of the Nallo but is made of a little lighter materials and the fly doesn't drop as low. One nice thing about the Nallo is it's side wall are almost vertical plus it has a giant floorless vestibule. The vestibule area would be perfect for a dog, cooking, or extra gear.

I noticed no one has really mentioned tarptents? From what I've heard they are pretty good but I really see no reason since I have my Nallo!