To build or not to build

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the mood for a new rifle and I’m on the ledge of “building” vs buying off the shelf. If I go stock I’d be looking at something like a Bergara, Tikka, Browning…something similar around the $2-2.5k range. Looking at parts and pieces (unless I’m missing something) not including any smithing fees, I think I can build a gun right around the same price or slightly more. Something with like a Mack brothers evo action, preferred carbon fiber lapped barrel, Timney or similar trigger…am I going to see much of a difference between going the build route over a non budget rifle roughly in the same price range?

I know there are some benefits to building like having the ability to pick the twist, getting exactly the colors and fit and finish you want, but at the and of the day is it worth the wait for components and smithing timelines? This will be a 100% hunting rig and will not be built as some super lite unit or anything special. Just an average weight gun from average priced parts. Help me jump or stay on the ledge

Building you will get tested accuracy from your smith. If you buy and have accuracy problems, good luck getting the mfr to do anything about it

madcalfe

WKR
it wont take to long to throw a custom together. just sources all your stuff online and then bring it all to a smith.
or get a prefit and throw the barrel on yourself

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
What Tikkas are you looking at that are in the $2-2.5k range? I just bought a brand new stainless lite for $722 last week.
Believe it or not, there is more than just the lite in their line up and most of them are north of 1k some go up to 2k. I guess could have said +/-. Some of the other brands I mentioned and others I’m looking at but didn’t mention specifically have met or exceeded the top number

Lawnboi

WKR
I personally havnt bought a rifle that shot as well as pretty much any of my builds. I also had a rifle built then rebuilt by a smith and the barrel was still garbage.

I think it’s hard to beat a tikka with a more ergonomic stock and a good barrel/chamber job.

I would build and stick with an action you can get a Proof prefit for. You can get them for $750ish if you shop around and they’re the only solid option for CF prefits.

TaperPin

WKR
Either way, buy or build, you can’t go wrong. If you are happy with the accuracy and fit and finish of factory rifles, there’s no reason to upgrade to a custom action/barrel.

If someone only has one rifle it can be fun to add a second barrel in a completely different caliber. I have 6.5 prc and 243 barrels for the same rifle. They require different magazines and different bolts, but one makes more sense to practice with and the other has a little more umph.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
The other positive of building, if you don’t mind, is when you finally do get a crap barrel, you can just screw on a new one.

I don’t have enough rifles to be playing ship back and forth and play games with gun makers. If I can remedy the problem with a new barrel, I’ll eat the cost if I need to. Something iv come to realize after being without my rifle for a year while a gunsmith played games. Easier that way.

On top of that, with a tikka, I can buy any replacement part for them. They are easy to break down, easy to swap parts around, and barrels are becoming more prevalent.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I'd build, if for no other reason than to have the satisfaction of getting exactly what you want. I've built a few rifles now and all of them are tailor made to my preferences and they have all shot exceptionally well with little work, and I've done it for less than 2k all but this last time.

Antares

WKR
Believe it or not, there is more than just the lite in their line up and most of them are north of 1k some go up to 2k. I guess could have said +/-. Some of the other brands I mentioned and others I’m looking at but didn’t mention specifically have met or exceeded the top number

No need to get defensive. I simply asked which Tikkas you were looking at in the $2-2.5k range because to my knowledge there is only one (TAC A1).

I mentioned the Stainless Lite because, in function, it's the pinnacle of the Tikka line up. All models above that are mostly just window dressing aimed at capturing the "semi custom" market.

Like mentioned, look at Seekins for a built rifle. Ive been able to occasionally get 1/2 MOA if I do my job. They stand behind their warranty and they are made here in the US. They are relatively light too. IMO hard to find a better semi custom rifle for the price.

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
No need to get defensive. I simply asked which Tikkas you were looking at in the $2-2.5k range because to my knowledge there is only one (TAC A1).

I mentioned the Stainless Lite because, in function, it's the pinnacle of the Tikka line up. All models above that are mostly just window dressing aimed at capturing the "semi custom" market.
Sorry I didn’t mean to be defensive but do see how it would come off as being like that.

If I could get a Tikka in 6.5 prc for $7-800 I probably wouldn’t be asking this question due to all of the great reviews anything Tikka seems to get.

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
I'd build, if for no other reason than to have the satisfaction of getting exactly what you want. I've built a few rifles now and all of them are tailor made to my preferences and they have all shot exceptionally well with little work, and I've done it for less than 2k all but this last time.
I hope you don’t mind, I’m gonna shoot you a pm

Antares

WKR
Sorry I didn’t mean to be defensive but do see how it would come off as being like that.

If I could get a Tikka in 6.5 prc for $7-800 I probably wouldn’t be asking this question due to all of the great reviews anything Tikka seems to get.

Ahh, the devil is always in the details. You didn't mention 6.5 PRC in your question.

Looks the cheapest Tikka in that chambering is a Roughtech for $1150 and next would be an Ember for $1250. I'd lean towards the Ember because it's stainless. I have a Roughtech, but I ended up getting it cerakoted because it rusted like an SOB.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Psh, camo stock + plastic clip on bolt knob + cerakote = 1/4 MOA all day if you do your part

and cherry pick 3 shot groups.

Lawnboi

WKR
Get the roughtech or ember, slap it in an eh1/mini chassis of appropriate LOP with a metal bottom metal. I could get along with that better than I could my last custom build.

Reactions: NSI