To build or not to build

SloppyJ

WKR
How are yall justifying the Tikka builds? I want a new 30cal. 300wsm on a Tikka or a 300prc on an origin and I just can't find much cost savings in using the Tikka action. I might be able to get a couple hundred out of the barrel and stock but the initial costs seem to be very close.

NSI

WKR
How are yall justifying the Tikka builds? I want a new 30cal. 300wsm on a Tikka or a 300prc on an origin and I just can't find much cost savings in using the Tikka action. I might be able to get a couple hundred out of the barrel and stock but the initial costs seem to be very close.
Yeah there's only 3-400 bucks savings between full builds off tikkas and origins. Most tikka builds are via preference for the action (mostly the trigger).

-J

Harvey_NW

WKR
Yeah there's only 3-400 bucks savings between full builds off tikkas and origins. Most tikka builds are via preference for the action (mostly the trigger).

-J
That and it allows you to break up the cost but still have a functioning rifle, if you're building on a budget. Tikkas shoot good out of the box and the stocks are fully functional and nice with a $20 vertical grip, then you can have a barrel spun up or buy a prefit, replace the stock, etc., as you go. It's also quite nice when they're free, if you save Cabelas CC points and cash them out every other year.

SloppyJ

WKR
That and it allows you to break up the cost but still have a functioning rifle, if you're building on a budget. Tikkas shoot good out of the box and the stocks are fully functional and nice with a $20 vertical grip, then you can have a barrel spun up or buy a prefit, replace the stock, etc., as you go. It's also quite nice when they're free, if you save Cabelas CC points and cash them out every other year.
I tried racking up points this year. I built a couple ARs, bought two suppressors, a $1k bike for my son, and anything else I had saved up for. I like it because I can just walk in and pay them cash for the balance and look for reloading stuff.

Right now I'm only at $150 in points. However I do remember getting it when I bought my livescope and somehow racked up $600 quickly. I need to figure out the cabelas points hack.

The other common idea I heard is that you can get a good steel barrel for half the price of a carbon barrel. With a barrel going for roughly $400 then $350 for chambering and "prefit" status and then add any muzzle threading or fluting, it's about a break even or more expensive.

Either way. I still think building off the origin or something similarly priced is the better play after weeks of researching.

NSI

WKR
I tried racking up points this year. I built a couple ARs, bought two suppressors, a $1k bike for my son, and anything else I had saved up for. I like it because I can just walk in and pay them cash for the balance and look for reloading stuff.

Right now I'm only at $150 in points. However I do remember getting it when I bought my livescope and somehow racked up $600 quickly. I need to figure out the cabelas points hack.

The other common idea I heard is that you can get a good steel barrel for half the price of a carbon barrel. With a barrel going for roughly $400 then $350 for chambering and "prefit" status and then add any muzzle threading or fluting, it's about a break even or more expensive.

Either way. I still think building off the origin or something similarly priced is the better play after weeks of researching.
The origin is smooth, well priced, decently light, holds tolerance for pre-fits, and has interchangeable bolt heads. There's a reason it has been the builder's go-to.

However, newer offerings in that price range have integral (rather than pinned) recoil lugs and integral pic rails. The Coup de Grace comes to mind from ARC as does the Kelbly Nanook.

I'd happily compete and play with those guns, but since I like to hunt with a round in the chamber and I often hunt in cold weather, I can't use any rem 700 pattern rifle for serious work.

-J

Antares

WKR

I'm not sure I follow your math. Sportsman's has 300WSM Superlites for $920. Add $150-200 to get it threaded. Add the carbon stock of your choice. Seems like you could be in the $1700-1800 range all in.

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm not sure I follow your math. Sportsman's has 300WSM Superlites for $920. Add $150-200 to get it threaded. Add the carbon stock of your choice. Seems like you could be in the $1700-1800 range all in.
Figured the stock barrel profile won't have enough meat for a 5/8" thread. I don't want an adapter. On top of that, if I build a 300wsm I want it throated with more freebore for longer bullets. So I'm looking at a new barrel and stock at least to shoot the longer COAL.

I know not every build would need that but I have a specific desire for this rifle in projectile weight and speed while suppressed. It can't be accomplished with the oem SA mags and barrel. Which is why my math seemed different I guess. I'd need a magnum long action. My local cabelas has a 7mag left hand stainless that would work. They want $800 for it. After I pay tax I'm very close if not equal to the cost of a origin action.

I do see the attraction of building a tikka up over time while still shooting it. I might do that with a .243 I'd like to build. That's a huge bonus if you don't want anything out of the ordinary.

TaperPin

WKR
Figured the stock barrel profile won't have enough meat for a 5/8" thread. I don't want an adapter. On top of that, if I build a 300wsm I want it throated with more freebore for longer bullets. So I'm looking at a new barrel and stock at least to shoot the longer COAL.

I know not every build would need that but I have a specific desire for this rifle in projectile weight and speed while suppressed. It can't be accomplished with the oem SA mags and barrel. Which is why my math seemed different I guess. I'd need a magnum long action. My local cabelas has a 7mag left hand stainless that would work. They want $800 for it. After I pay tax I'm very close if not equal to the cost of a origin action.

I do see the attraction of building a tikka up over time while still shooting it. I might do that with a .243 I'd like to build. That's a huge bonus if you don't want anything out of the ordinary.
A lot of guys must be buying 7 mags and 300 mags for builds - a lot of those takeoff Tikka barrels are only selling for $70 on eBay. Lol