To decoy or to not decoy?

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Whats up my pronghorn peeps!?

I'll be attempting to kill my first archery antelope here in Nebraska this year. Last year we had a hunter successfully kill a young buck with the help of a decoy while a few days later we had an older buck say "F you" on the same decoy set up. My idea is to sit in a blind on a water tank and just give it hell this year. I cant make up my mind if i should set a decoy up off in the pasture in sight of the tank, throw one up closer to the tank, or just go all natural and not even bother with a decoy. I understand that like using calls for whitetails, there is a time and place for antelope decoys. What do you guys watch for that tells you the time to "Release the beast" is near and start dusting off your decoys if at all?

Jimss

WKR
In the case of waterholes I wouldn't use a decoy. If it's dry you shouldn't need one and the antelope may get nervous if they don't see movement.

chawes79

FNG
I wouldn't use a decoy on the water. If it's a pond style waterhole you can throw a couple good duck decoys on it as calmers.

I have killed bucks over decoys the last 3 years. If hunting water where does are coming in make sure they can see decoy early. I put one down in a dug-out low and they freaked when they came over the rise. Bucks seem to be the opposite. I have been putting buck decoys outside a blind not on water. Sometimes they get used to the decoy or have time to determine something is up and lose interest.
Next year we are rigging the decoys on a board with hinges and pulling a rope to stand them up. During the rut if a buck pops up close they are coming! Last year I hinged the back legs of a doe decoy and pulled a rope to have it squat like peeing, which they do a lot in heat. The buck I killed was staring at the decoy. When I squatted her he came running. Loads of fun and puts you in the game. I have sat water for a week and it can be effective but engaging them is really fun.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Jordan Budd may be able to give some advice, I know she outfits for them up there.

When I was out chasing them, we saw 1 buck decoy in a hay field in front of a bale blind. Not sure how it worked for them. But I would agree if you're sitting water a decoy is probably overkill and may spook them. Either they'll come in or they won't I don't think a decoy will change their mind.

Jimss

WKR
If you're sitting on the only water source for miles and it's been hot and dry you definitely don't need a decoy. If there are quite a few water sources around and the antelope think something is fishy there's a good chance they will water elsewhere. The same thing is true if suddenly there is a blind set up at a waterhole.

The idea of using a moving decoy may work but it may not take much to spook them......if they see or hear something they don't like or think is odd. I always like the idea of antelope being as calm as they can when coming to water. If they see something a little out of normal it raises a red flag and their senses are on edge! They may have a better chance of circling your blind to smell what is going on...then you are really in trouble! This is especially true if hunting mature bucks that have been around the block a few times!

Water hole no.

Pre-rut/Rut archery yes. If they run from it be an ahole and follow them like you are pushing them out of their territory and making it your own, don’t chase, just a slow annoying push.

post rut no also

n8tivenv

Lil-Rokslider
I've had success on lone bucks, stalking behind a decoy and then setting it in a bush to get the shot from behind the decoy.
The bucks that had does already would not let me get close enough but the loners always do.

Attachments

• LZIS9825[1].JPG
    LZIS9825[1].JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 22
OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Jordan Budd may be able to give some advice, I know she outfits for them up there.

When I was out chasing them, we saw 1 buck decoy in a hay field in front of a bale blind. Not sure how it worked for them. But I would agree if you're sitting water a decoy is probably overkill and may spook them. Either they'll come in or they won't I don't think a decoy will change their mind.
That's funny you mention Jordan B. I live with Jordan. I help run the outfit with her. Last year we had one hunter successfully kill on a decoy and one didnt turn out so well. We both hadnt tried much decoying before but are always up for learning new things. It's fun to hear what others think and we love talking to you guys and getting advice on what others have experienced. We often times have blinds on water here but last year was an extremely wet summer so water was useless more or less. Thats when we broke out the decoy and went stalking. Good times had by all!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

She needs some external advice :LOL: I'm with the mindset that they're either going to come in or they aren't. We've had some serious mixed experiences on the decoys... they either work or they don't work. Doesn't seem to be a magic time or place, it could have worked this morning and then not work this evening. Antelope are strange, and they drive me crazy.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I've had success on lone bucks, stalking behind a decoy and then setting it in a bush to get the shot from behind the decoy.
The bucks that had does already would not let me get close enough but the loners always do.
I've been reading the book called "Bowhunting The Prince of the Plains" by Jace Bauserman and he makes the same statements about loner bucks and grouped bucks. I'm excited to give it all a try this year. If nothing else, I'll learn a lot! Congratulations on a great buck! Thats an awesome picture.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
That's funny you mention Jordan B. I live with Jordan. I help run the outfit with her. Last year we had one hunter successfully kill on a decoy and one didnt turn out so well. We both hadnt tried much decoying before but are always up for learning new things. It's fun to hear what others think and we love talking to you guys and getting advice on what others have experienced. We often times have blinds on water here but last year was an extremely wet summer so water was useless more or less. Thats when we broke out the decoy and went stalking. Good times had by all!

Yeah 🤦‍♀️ I found out right after I posted that. Myb

It was way more wet than we imagined. We didn't bring bug spray on our trip in early September and it was a living hell.

I have to imagine it's like reaping turkeys or bugling elk. Watching videos of dudes with the funny buck hats walking on their hands and knees within 30 yards of buck on a private ranch in NM but then seeing guys spook them with the pop up decoys at 150 yards in Nebraska really gets the noggin joggin. My thought is the more exposure they have the more likely they are to be cautious to anything unusual like an old elk being ''call shy''. The bucks in NM may have never seen a person in the 3+ years they've been alive but the ones in Nebraska are being harassed 3+ months of the year.

We debated bringing in a decoy to reap them like turkeys, but ended going for more of a belly crawl approach figuring it was better to get a clean shot at an animal that is totally unaware of anything around them. Same as not grunting or rattling a mature whitetail in so they aren't looking for another deer when they come through.

Bearguide

FNG
I'm not a bow hunter my experience is with a rifle and we use no decoy. I have hunted water holes or ponds and watched them to figure out there approach to determine where I set up. I hope this helps