Toilet Paper out in the Field

greetings to all the kind gear head folk !

curious as to what last second switches you had to make out in the field for toilet paper substitutes ?

I did notice some of the backpacking community use a make shift bidet which cuts down on waste

a Deer friend of mine mentioned that when she used to go hunting w her father that he would have orange toilet paper . as to not be mistaken for a white tail deer hahaha

cheers to you all

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
656e6dcbc132c4e97f2945f3799f12bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several fellas have sacrificed all or a portion of an under shirt/t- shirt out of necessity, due to digestive disruptions to normal processing.

Trifecta preparation for all circumstances, disruptive or otherwise, TP, wet wipes, and a few sections of soft heavy duty paper towels, combined with a small supply of water and hand sanitizer provide options and ample sanitary conditions for all but the most caustic and apocryphal of digestive issues. All but the water can easily fit into a quart sized Ziplock bag.

Overkill? Perhaps, but digestive challenges are a fact of life for some and the prevention of maladies spanning "butter butt" to "itchy-culo-rosis" are a strong motivator once experienced for reals!

Last edited:

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
We take wet wipes, paper towels and as mentioned above…water. Who wants to walk around with mud butt.

I use wipes and tp. I usually bring enough but in the past when pressed I used a bandana. I have never had to use a piece of my clothing but it ain't over yet. I always carry a small towel in my kill kit I would use it these days as I don't wear a bandana much these days.

Poser

WKR
Been using a bidet for the last 2 years. Still use some TP, too, but it works great. I don’t need or use wipes since using a bidet.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I switched to the blue paper shop towels several years ago. I have to cut them to size (~3x5") which is a bit of pain (but getting quicker w/ some origami folding tricks! :D), BUT these don't tear at all. I can soak them with water and they still don't tear- 2 wetted ones and a dry one usually does the trick.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use toilet paper. Have used leaves/grass/moss before as well. Water is heavy, I'm sure as poo not carrying it up a mountain to wash my bottom.

Austink47

WKR
I buy the little packs of Kleenex. I keep one in a cargo pocket ( for emergencys ) and one in my pack.

Mt Al

WKR
1/2 roll to TP in the pack in a bag to protect it from "pack rash".
I then peel off 7/8 paper towels, fold them up and put them in my thigh pocket (whatever it's called) for rapid reaction when it's time.

This is a family friendly website: Can someone carefully explain what the heck a field bidet is and how it's used?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I carry a lot of paper towels. I like them over toilet paper as they are quite a bit more abrasive. Better for wiping up.

TFrank

WKR
Toilet paper. I have used snow balls and hunting proclamations in the past.