Which one camper shell or tonneau

• Tri-fold Hard Tonneau

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Camper shell

Votes: 26 72.2%

• Total voters

DuckDogDr

WKR
Previously had a retractable tonneau cover on my Tacoma that I liked well enough. It wound up coming off track and in my ensuing tantrum … let’s just say I now have to have another one.

I’m getting something to cover the bed. Too nice when traveling to lock valuables in. Primary reason I purchased the initial one was to keep prying eyes and fingers off my coolers, spare tanks and other gear when diving fishing tournaments.
The only real complaint I had with it was I couldn’t fit my dog box and secure my gear at the same time, but a lot of times he’s snoring and farting in the back seat any way..

I’ve considered the camper shell to hold all my skit but my buddy who had one said his was broken into too much, too easy to knock glass out ..At the end of the day I’m really tempted with getting another tonneau cover, but this time a hard fold vs retractable .

tony

WKR
I put a diamond back on my ranger, added a cross bin. Locks down tight, decent water resistance. I’ve got a little over 2K in the set up. The “lids” come off leaving the center mounting bar. Which is a pain in the ass on a small truck if you want to haul something.
I like the cover and would recommend it. But, I kind of wish I had spent the extra money and got a smart cap

Attachments

• 22CAD58A-A5D8-4CD4-8BD5-5C9B3F3B9D6A.jpeg
    22CAD58A-A5D8-4CD4-8BD5-5C9B3F3B9D6A.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 1D740D9B-6EFD-4865-8A4C-68D4C0631590.jpeg
    1D740D9B-6EFD-4865-8A4C-68D4C0631590.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 40
It's a tough call. For me I haul stuff on the regular, so climbing inside the topper got to be a pain. I have a roll up now and the topper hasn't been on in 3ish years...

Attachments

• 20180514_154130.jpg
    20180514_154130.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 37

Moserkr

WKR
I always had shells and this last truck got a folding cover. Have to say besides the dog kennel issue, I like the cover better. Id get an even nicer one next time but this one works. The shell is hard to get into and hard to remove. Cover suits the needs 99% of the time and looks better too. Dogs have been riding in the cab due to the heat or extreme cold anyway. Actually thinking of doing some sort of rack over the cover, kind of overland style but without the truck tent. Would let me haul even more stuff when needed but stay very accessible.

After having my retractable cover frozen shut several times I am looking to replace it with a camper shell.

wyosteve

WKR
I have a BakFlip on mine. Like it because it folds all the way up for full bed access if desired.

Rich M

WKR
I had a trifold on a tundra. Was great and came off easy enough if cartying say a 4-wheeler or liad of wood.

Dad has a cap on his truck bed. More room, you dont remove it but could be difficult to fit a 4-wheeler.

Pros and cons. If you liked the cover you had, a trifold will work well.

hunterjmj

WKR
I have a tri fold that stays on 90% of the time. Great to keep stuff secure but it comes off in less than 5 minutes as well.

Davebuech

WKR
Camper shell for me. I carry my fishing rods on top and sleep in the back very comfortably. In my 4 door crew cab there's plenty of room with the back seat folded down for dogs or extra gear.

LabMan

FNG
I have a fiberglass cover with a bed slide. Haven't had to climb into the back for 14 years with 3 different trucks. I can load dog crates, hunting/camping gear and whatever else needed and it's all accessible from the rear/sides of the bed slide.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bakflip I’ve been happy with, my only complaint is if I have it completely open my rear window is blocked.

RS3579

WKR
Leer Camper shell for our truck. Nice to keep everything dry. Just throw it in and go! Our camping equipment wouldn’t fit under a trifold.

Mosby

WKR
I have a camper shell. I have hunting dogs and prefer having their kennels under cover.

robtattoo

WKR
I left mine open back for years. On my little Nissan back in England I had a full hinged tonneau cover & hated it.
I ummed & aahed over a camper shell for years, but picked up a used one for a song to try.
I'd never have anything else now. I can sleep in it, I can fit almost everything I own in there & I'm no longer concerned about it getting wet, or casually pinched at a gas station. Try hauling a full sized fridge with a regular tonneau cover......

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have had both. they both serve a purpose, but the shell is more practical in my opinion. I could easily spend several days camping, sleeping with he shell, not the cover.

CCH

WKR
Every truck we have bought, we have tried to go without a topper. Within a couple of months, we have always ended up with one. Nothing is truly secure, have had a topper broken into by shattering the back window, but in general any cover is better than nothing. Using a cheap tonneau now on the new truck while we wait for the topper to come in, and I'm not really tempted to convert. Hard sleeping under a tonneau, and for me that is a consideration.

I have both. I’ve hunted a lot out of the topper with one of those hippy RTTs too. Can pop that think up in 30 seconds at a rest area or a walmart in a single parking spot. I made a rack for sleeping in my topper too. Yeti 125s in the back with bow cases, packs, etc, and you can sleep above your gear. My buddy sleeps in the back and I sleep in the RTT.

45E2750F-55D1-4C86-B669-83E62D2B7805.jpg74CDAD14-A385-4A14-94BB-E609933717B9.jpeg

def90

WKR
Get a commercial style topper with the two back doors that swing out and side panels that lift up. They have locks that will match your truck key. If your truck bed is long enough you can camp out of it and prop the side hatches open at night for some airflow if you like