Too heavy up front?

jofes

WKR
I went from shooting ICS bowhunters last fall for whitetail that were around 360 gr total weight to some Axis 340s at 9.5 GPI with the 75gr. brass insert and 100 gr. field point. Now total weight is 463 gr. Im making the upgrade for elk in the future.

I shoot a 2013 PSE bow madness maxing out the limbs around 69 lbls, draw length is 26.5 but im shooting 27.5 to get the broadhead away from my hands.
They seam crazy front heavy compared to my old arrows, is it possible ive added to much to the front end with the 75 gr. insert on such a short arrow?

The reason I bring this up is on my Yellow jacket target ive had some arrows get very bad penetration, its possible its from poor follow through on a shot causing and angled impact or have I broke some rule of FOC?

Guys chasing high FOC still have to consider arrow spine. A weak spine condition causes all kinds of problems with BH's in a hunt bow.

Higher FOC is fine as long as the primary factors are in line....have you tuned your bow by either bare shaft tuning or BH tuning?

You might have the cart before the horse; with any setup tune your hunting arrow to the setup FIRST to confirm perfect arrow flight otherwise you will be spinning your wheels.

I went from shooting ICS bowhunters last fall for whitetail that were around 360 gr total weight to some Axis 340s at 9.5 GPI with the 75gr. brass insert and 100 gr. field point. Now total weight is 463 gr. Im making the upgrade for elk in the future.

I shoot a 2013 PSE bow madness maxing out the limbs around 69 lbls, draw length is 26.5 but im shooting 27.5 to get the broadhead away from my hands.
They seam crazy front heavy compared to my old arrows, is it possible ive added to much to the front end with the 75 gr. insert on such a short arrow?

The reason I bring this up is on my Yellow jacket target ive had some arrows get very bad penetration, its possible its from poor follow through on a shot causing and angled impact or have I broke some rule of FOC?

Not underspined. But I’d make sure to BS tune and or paper tune your setup. But a bag target is a bag target. Arrows will always sit funny after impacting the target so can’t look at that in a bag target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nearly this identical set up right now. I have 70lb limbs on my RX1, although I do not have them maxed out so I can shoot more reps. Im running 100 grain points with the 75 grains of brass. I’m coming in at about 486 grains for total set up, likely because I’m running a 4 fletch AAE max stealth on the back, which also stiffens up the shaft and drops the FOC a bit. I think I calculated my FOC just shy of 12%. Like others said, start running it through paper, both bare shaft and fletched. If you make adjustments to correct any tears and nothing happens, it is a sign you might be getting weak on spine. Also play with adjusting your poundage up and down to confirm that. Shooting a bare shaft with your fletched arrows is a great way to see what your arrow is doing coming out of the bow when it doesn’t have vanes on it to correct itself. I would be slightly cautious with the results a bag target gives you though. Make very small adjustment when trying to tweak your bare shaft flight.

Last edited:
7d24994a01e5078025cd4898681769db.jpg

Looks like you are money.

I think you are on the right path!
Never be afraid to ask questions.

Maybe you can help me too! Recently purchased a new Elk bow, a Bowtech Realm, IBO 340, 70 lbs, 28" DL.

The local shop set me up with VAP TKO Arrows, 300 spine, 100 grain heads, 95 grain SS outsert, total arrow weight of 475 grains. My FOC calculates to 19.1% (without including the length of the outsert) and 16.7% FOC (with including the length of the outsert). I'm worried that these are quite high numbers. Any advice?

Maybe you can help me too! Recently purchased a new Elk bow, a Bowtech Realm, IBO 340, 70 lbs, 28" DL.

The local shop set me up with VAP TKO Arrows, 300 spine, 100 grain heads, 95 grain SS outsert, total arrow weight of 475 grains. My FOC calculates to 19.1% (without including the length of the outsert) and 16.7% FOC (with including the length of the outsert). I'm worried that these are quite high numbers. Any advice?

Spine looks good to me. See how they tune and group.

Last season I shot 340 spine with 100gr insert and 100gr head total weight 507gr at 70#/29.5” draw and 28” arrow 335 IBO bow. BS tuned at 20 yards then paper tuned bullet hole in the same spot. So don’t always believe the calculators but they are a great reference and would always go stiffer than lighter. I don’t look for high FOC, but total arrow weight and components I want to use.

I’ve seen an 80# bow tune with 300 spine arrows. I’ll be going that route this year but less than 300 spine to get total weight I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long is the arrow shaft?

It seems like some guys are getting the cart in front on the horse.
Building a dozen arrows and hoping you can get them to shoot is backwards to me.
When I switched to FMJs a few years ago, I cut 1 arrow, installed the brass insert and 125 fp. Tried to PT. Ended up with the standard insert and 100 grain point. Weight is just under 500 and flies great. ViperTricks, Iron Wills and field points all hit the same out to 60 yards.
I know total weight and FOC are the hot buzz words, but if that arrow isn’t flying straight and true, none of the other will do you any good.

It seems like some guys are getting the cart in front on the horse.
Building a dozen arrows and hoping you can get them to shoot is backwards to me.
When I switched to FMJs a few years ago, I cut 1 arrow, installed the brass insert and 125 fp. Tried to PT. Ended up with the standard insert and 100 grain point. Weight is just under 500 and flies great. ViperTricks, Iron Wills and field points all hit the same out to 60 yards.
I know total weight and FOC are the hot buzz words, but if that arrow isn’t flying straight and true, none of the other will do you any good.

My pet peeve is going to an archery shop, seeing someone getting a bow setup, and hearing: “what’s your draw length? Ok, let’s cut these arrows to [DL + 1”].” More so with recurves than compounds but still.

Seems you have your spine question, answered, but what do you mean by that?

Back