Top 5 Gear/Equipment/Clothing New Hunter Must Invest In

Was interested in what you guys would recommend a new hunters buys FIRST (top 5 in order). I’ve already been on 2 hunts this season, 1 successful, so I know good boots and pack are essential. I’m a student and work part time so time and money is tight for me at the moment. Where to go from here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
Boots
Pack
Binos
Outer wear
meat processing equipment and storage devices

assuming you already have the weapon and projectiles for that weapon.
I am also assuming you are doing day hunts.

If this is back pack hunting, I would eliminate my meat processing stuff and buy the best sleep system and shelter you can afford.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
The above lists are dead on. I would add you must have some form of gps with offline maps such as OnX. Doesn't matter how good your gear list is if you are totally lost!

t_carlson

WKR
If you want to hunt in inclement weather, good clothing is very important. It is amazing how comfortable you can be when it is nasty outside. I'm pretty well addicted to hoods on my layers these days.

As mentioned, an OnX subscription is priceless.

If you're going to really wild places, a Garmin InReach is great to have.

Depends on long term or short term. You can get by on pretty much crap if you are tough enough and just want to hunt.
But if it was me
Glass and tri pod - game changing if you are going to do a lot of glassing. Buy once and be one with it - $3000 plus
Pack - I prefer to carry everything out in the least amount of trips possible - $400-800
Boots - $200-$300
Gun/Scope/Load - Lots of factory guns that can get it done $500-1000. Get a good rail and rings $200. Buy the best scope you can $400-$800

Do that and you will have the basics covered for a very long time

packer58

WKR
Depends on long term or short term. You can get by on pretty much crap if you are tough enough and just want to hunt.
But if it was me
Glass and tri pod - game changing if you are going to do a lot of glassing. Buy once and be one with it - $3000 plus
Pack - I prefer to carry everything out in the least amount of trips possible - $400-800
Boots - $200-$300
Gun/Scope/Load - Lots of factory guns that can get it done $500-1000. Get a good rail and rings $200. Buy the best scope you can $400-$800

For the most part i agree with this ^^^^^ Just don't get caught up in the " I need the best most expensive equipment to be successful " mindset.

Okay, so you mentioned boots and pack as essential so I'll skip over those.
HYDRATION SYSTEM
Binoculars.
Socks
Layered clothing
Rifle/bow

Trust me when I tell you, any hunt is ruined if you don't hydrate properly.
I'm not selling any powders or goo, just a solid water system that is safe(doesn't puke if you fall on it or take a thorn, also easy to clean) and plenty of it.
When it comes to food/water, I can go all day without food, but I get nervous if I'm not peeing clear and if the temp is over 70 degrees, it's twice as important. A basic 32oz Nalgene (two of them) is a pretty good start.
Most people I know spend tons more time behind their binoculars than a spotter, plus you have to spend real $$ to get to a level of glass that is useful at 40X magnification. I would much rather have excellent binoculars and rifle scope than a spotter, plus they're cumbersome and awkward. Also, binoculars are very subjective. Don't believe the fanboys when they spout their favorite brand. What works great for one guy doesn't for another. If you see someone post 'you can't go wrong with -X-, you most certainly can.
Layered clothing is pretty important to me. I don't want to own one AMAZING $500 jacket, I want to own layers of synthetic I can shed, dry quickly, and put back on as necessary. I have found MilSpec ECWCS Level 6 outerwear is a smoking deal compared to the Gotta-Have branded camo 'systems' and you have many more fitting options.

woods89

WKR
1-Butt out tool
2-Ozonics
3-Bowmar Butter
4-HECS suit
5-Quigley-Ford riflescope

I kid, I kid....

In all honesty, get some basic gear and go. You'll learn pretty quick what you need and what you don't. Used stuff, clearance racks, etc are your friends. As many have mentioned, boots that fit and are broken in, a decent pack, and functional optics are high on the list.

Best of luck!

If I were just starting, I would spend most of my money on any tags for any animals I can get ahold of. I would use those to get time in the woods and THEN buy things as I IDed a need for them.

The reason I say that is different people find they like to hunt differently and so their gear requirements are different. I LOVE glassing, I have a friend that can’t sit still long enough to do it and prefers still hunting. My nice tripod would be wasted on him. Conversely, I hate shooting his featherweight rifle.

nobody

WKR
I'll simplify it even further, and break it down to 4. There are only 2 pieces of gear that WILL send you home if they fail, and 2 that will make for a miserable hunting season.

My list doesn't take into account specialized tags or hunts or extreme environments like Alaska and such. But IMO, a new hunter needs to invest in the following 4 quality items:

1. Boots. Poor fitting/not waterproof/low quality boots WILL send you home. If you get blisters, if your feet are wet on Colorado 4th season, you will have no choice but to head home in the interest of personal safety. Not to say you NEED to purchase Crispi's or Zamberlain's or Kenetrek's, but you need to have quality boots that are appropriate for the type of hunting you'll be doing that fit you well.

2. Weapon System (Rifle, Scope, Rangefinder Combo, or bow and rangefinder combo). Read through the rifle scope drop testing subforum and you'll quickly realize how quickly your hunt can be ruined by a failed rifle system.

3. Pack. You DON'T need a 6k cubic inch pack if you're always going to be dayhunting from your side by side. You also shouldn't purchase a Badlands Superday if you're wanting to do backcountry hunting. Purchase the right pack for your style of hunting, whatever that may be.

4. Solid pair of mid-power binos. 8's, 10's, or 12's. You don't NEED a spotting scope, don't need high power binos. Purchase a really solid pair of chest binos and learn to use them efficiently. I would rather see a guy buy a $600 pair of 10x42 binos than a $150 pair and a $400 spotter and a $50 "amazon special" tripod.

You don't need sitka gear, kuiu camo, expensive ultralight tents, or anything else for your first hunt. Buy that stuff slowly, on sales, and second hand as you need it for specific hunts and trips. You don't NEED anything else to start hunting.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

Northpark

WKR
HYDRATION SYSTEM
Binoculars.
Socks
Layered clothing
Rifle/bow

I'm not selling any powders or goo, just a solid water system that is safe(doesn't puke if you fall on it or take a thorn, also easy to clean) and plenty of it.
When it comes to food/water, I can go all day without food, but I get nervous if I'm not peeing clear and if the temp is over 70 degrees, it's twice as important. A basic 32oz Nalgene (two of them) is a pretty good start.
^^^^^^^ Water!!!!!

Seriously assuming you have a rifle and a tag already.

1. Good boots
2. Good pack that fits your style of hunting
3. water bottle and a bladder. The bottle is in case you pop the bladder somehow.
4. Good 10x binos. At least Nikon or vortex diamond back quality. I remember being a student but I saved for months for a pair of vortex binos.
5. Knife. Just a good fixed blade or folder like a buck drop point or something. This takes care of field dressing, skinning and quarters. And honestly if money is tight with a little imagination you can process a whole deer into steaks and roasts with a buck knife and some ziplock bags.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if the successful hunt under your belt means you filled a tag but assuming you did, you’ve proved you can get it done with what you currently have. Sure new gear will make things easier or more comfortable, but that will come in time. I’d first make sure your vehicles good to go and start saving for gas, then start worrying about securing tags.

OP
chrissytoosaucy
But if it was me
Boots - $200-$300

Thank you, that’s some great advice!

OP
chrissytoosaucy
HYDRATION SYSTEM
Binoculars.
Socks
Layered clothing
Rifle/bow

Most people I know spend tons more time behind their binoculars than a spotter, plus you have to spend real $$ to get to a level of glass that is useful at 40X magnification. I would much rather have excellent binoculars and rifle scope than a spotter, plus they're cumbersome and awkward. Also, binoculars are very subjective. Don't believe the fanboys when they spout their favorite brand. What works great for one guy doesn't for another. If you see someone post 'you can't go wrong with -X-, you most certainly can.
Layered clothing is pretty important to me. I don't want to own one AMAZING $500 jacket, I want to own layers of synthetic I can shed, dry quickly, and put back on as necessary. I have found MilSpec ECWCS Level 6 outerwear is a smoking deal compared to the Gotta-Have branded camo 'systems' and you have many more fitting options.

Wow, I never looked at the $500 jacket vs layers in that way. Thanks for the solid advice. I appreciate it!

OP
chrissytoosaucy
1-Butt out tool
2-Ozonics
3-Bowmar Butter
4-HECS suit
5-Quigley-Ford riflescope

I kid, I kid....

In all honesty, get some basic gear and go. You'll learn pretty quick what you need and what you don't. Used stuff, clearance racks, etc are your friends. As many have mentioned, boots that fit and are broken in, a decent pack, and functional optics are high on the list.

Best of luck!

Haha!! Thanks, I appreciate it

OP
chrissytoosaucy
If I were just starting, I would spend most of my money on any tags for any animals I can get ahold of. I would use those to get time in the woods and THEN buy things as I IDed a need for them.

The reason I say that is different people find they like to hunt differently and so their gear requirements are different. I LOVE glassing, I have a friend that can’t sit still long enough to do it and prefers still hunting. My nice tripod would be wasted on him. Conversely, I hate shooting his featherweight rifle.

That’s awesome advice! Thanks, I appreciate it