Top 5 Gear/Equipment/Clothing New Hunter Must Invest In

OP
chrissytoosaucy
I'll simplify it even further, and break it down to 4. There are only 2 pieces of gear that WILL send you home if they fail, and 2 that will make for a miserable hunting season.

My list doesn't take into account specialized tags or hunts or extreme environments like Alaska and such. But IMO, a new hunter needs to invest in the following 4 quality items:

1. Boots. Poor fitting/not waterproof/low quality boots WILL send you home. If you get blisters, if your feet are wet on Colorado 4th season, you will have no choice but to head home in the interest of personal safety. Not to say you NEED to purchase Crispi's or Zamberlain's or Kenetrek's, but you need to have quality boots that are appropriate for the type of hunting you'll be doing that fit you well.

2. Weapon System (Rifle, Scope, Rangefinder Combo, or bow and rangefinder combo). Read through the rifle scope drop testing subforum and you'll quickly realize how quickly your hunt can be ruined by a failed rifle system.

3. Pack. You DON'T need a 6k cubic inch pack if you're always going to be dayhunting from your side by side. You also shouldn't purchase a Badlands Superday if you're wanting to do backcountry hunting. Purchase the right pack for your style of hunting, whatever that may be.

4. Solid pair of mid-power binos. 8's, 10's, or 12's. You don't NEED a spotting scope, don't need high power binos. Purchase a really solid pair of chest binos and learn to use them efficiently. I would rather see a guy buy a $600 pair of 10x42 binos than a $150 pair and a $400 spotter and a $50 "amazon special" tripod.

You don't need sitka gear, kuiu camo, expensive ultralight tents, or anything else for your first hunt. Buy that stuff slowly, on sales, and second hand as you need it for specific hunts and trips. You don't NEED anything else to start hunting.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

I really liked this answer. Thanks for the advice, it’s good to be reminded of #4. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
chrissytoosaucy
Not sure if the successful hunt under your belt means you filled a tag but assuming you did, you’ve proved you can get it done with what you currently have. Sure new gear will make things easier or more comfortable, but that will come in time. I’d first make sure your vehicles good to go and start saving for gas, then start worrying about securing tags.

That’s good advice. I’m taking this as have things at home and in life squared away too in order to get to the hunt. Thanks for the advice!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what you said I assume you have a suitable weapon already.
1. would be a frame to haul meat, notice I didn’t say pack because you can strap any bag to a frame to start off with.
2. Optics, this is dependent on where and how you hunt so specifics are up to you. I consider a scope as part of a rifle.
3. Kill kit. This is multiple items and some of it is multi purpose so let’s just call it game bags and a knife. A good budget kit would be either the Allen brand or black ovis game bags and a Mora knife.
4. Clothing appropriate for the environment you hunt. Just stay with synthetic materials and pants with some stretch to them. Upgrade as you can afford.
5. Inreach, Zoleo, spot or something for emergencies.

robtattoo

WKR
Before i list my specifics, can i ask; what are you primarily hunting & where?

I ask, because I'm split 45/45/10 stand hunting eastern whitetail/ground hunting hogs/ Western mountain.

What works for one, doesn't necessarily translate into what's best for everything. Example being, I don't own a top of the range pack, boots or glass simply because for 90% of my hunting they're not really so important. My clothing system varies depending on situation. The gear i wear in a Tennessee stand would kill me if I wore it in western Wyoming, but my mountain gear would give me hypothermia in a damp, November treestand situation.

I feel like we (me included) get very hung up on gearing up for that one 'special' hunt every year & ignore the other 5 months plus that were hunting around home.

@chrissytoosaucy I was going to ask the same as @robtattoo.

Where and what are you primarily hunting - I have different stuff that I take for Sheep vs Moose. A lot of stuff works together but some doesn't. I just went on a hunt in Alaska where my really nice Mountain Boots were terrible because of how wet and slick the environment was. I was great in the high country but about half our hunt was in the Mid Country where my boots did not excel. I think that for me - I would say remember that many Mountaineering and Outdoor brands will do the same thing as many of the hunting brands. Outdoor Research Cirque pants are half the price of Stone Glacier, Kuiu, etc.
ALso I'm a wool guy, so I would say check out BlackOvis and CamoFire. You can get their wool layer system for anywhere from 35% to 50% off and even full price is cheaper then Ice Breaker, Kuiu, FirstLite, etc.

But it really depends on what you are hunting, how you are hunting it and where/when. Are you camping out 1-2 nights? Are you hiking into that camping spot or driving an atv? Are you 'base camping' out of a vehicle? Some thoughts. Love to hear more and congrats. It is a process and you learn the most by doing. Congrats on your first harvest! What was it?

Tag
Time
Tag
Gas money
Tag
Everything else will be learned with time hunting. The more tags I get, the less money I spend on gear. At this point I would rather have a tag in my pocket than new gear but I have collected over time. After tags and time, I always lean towards the B’s: boots, bags and binos.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
@chrissytoosaucy I was going to ask the same as @robtattoo.

Where and what are you primarily hunting - I have different stuff that I take for Sheep vs Moose. A lot of stuff works together but some doesn't. I just went on a hunt in Alaska where my really nice Mountain Boots were terrible because of how wet and slick the environment was. I was great in the high country but about half our hunt was in the Mid Country where my boots did not excel. I think that for me - I would say remember that many Mountaineering and Outdoor brands will do the same thing as many of the hunting brands. Outdoor Research Cirque pants are half the price of Stone Glacier, Kuiu, etc.
ALso I'm a wool guy, so I would say check out BlackOvis and CamoFire. You can get their wool layer system for anywhere from 35% to 50% off and even full price is cheaper then Ice Breaker, Kuiu, FirstLite, etc.

But it really depends on what you are hunting, how you are hunting it and where/when. Are you camping out 1-2 nights? Are you hiking into that camping spot or driving an atv? Are you 'base camping' out of a vehicle? Some thoughts. Love to hear more and congrats. It is a process and you learn the most by doing. Congrats on your first harvest! What was it?

Outdoor Vitals has some very comparable base layers,too!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends........where you're hunting, what seasons, day hunts vs extended days, etc.

1. Weapon of your choice for the season you're hunting.......and the rest of the stuff needed for said weapon.
2. Clothing system for the chosen season, which includes boots.
3. Shelter and sleep system........if you're spending the night out there.
4. Some sort of pack system for carrying kill kit essentials and water.
5. Will depend on the season and what you're hunting.

I started hunting elk and deer in 1980 at the age of 15. I bought my first rifle, then I scrapped together whatever I could at home for clothes, sleeping bag, and a shelter and my buddy and I started big game hunting. Ya, we froze......a lot back then. Too much cotton, uninsulated boots, and summer sleeping bags in the high country in Oct and Nov. That sucked. That may be why I hate the cold so much today. We didn't have frame packs for hauling, we didn't even have frames. We carried 1/4's out on our shoulders........for miles. We didn't have bino's, couldn't afford that luxury item. But we always got our animals, and always seemed to have a good time........even being cold to the bone. Those camp fires were vital. Probably why the first thing I bought after college was a -30 giant sleeping bag and good padding. That's also one reason why I hunt in September now. Also, if hunting in the winter.......well-insulated waterproof gloves are pretty essential. Frostbite sucks.

1.Gun or weapon. 2. decent binos 3. build your layering system at a thrift store. Seriously ,I have grid fleece tops, puffies ,rain coats etc. all from thrift stores. If you work at it a bit $50 will set you up. Mil surplus is also your friend, packs ,camo clothes etc. May be a bit heavier but if is tough and cheap. You might not be the coolest hunter on the block but the critters you shoot will not know the difference. Read the "cheap stuff that works thread" in the gear section for more ideas.

You really only need a few things to stay on the mountain and kill game. The most important investment is intangible- a positive mental attitude, or mental toughness. All of the folks I know who kill bulls every single year have the mental fortitude to get it done. Half of them do it with $150 pair of boots, hand-me-down wool pants, and their grandad’s wood stock 30-06. That said, here’s my list.

Quality well fitting boots
Pack
decent binos
Mapping system
Sleeping bag

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
For my western style hunting:
1) Glass- best Binos you can afford with tripod adaptor and bino buddy
2) Feet- Boots, insoles, socks and liners
3) Pack- I like a pack that I can day hunt, spike camp and haul meet with
4) Sleep System- I have one bag that I can tweak my system according to weather… Bag, pad, liner, bivy and footprint
5) Attitude- Leave the baggage at home and enjoy Gods creation!

Boots for your style of hunting, temps and conditions (wet, mud vs. snow). good socks! smartwool or darn
tough. I use Hanwag uninsulated Llhasas and Lowas in early seasons, insulated Danners late season.
Get a good base layer like Smartwool from used outdoor store. I wear columbia hiker pants over these.
Decent binocs: i have always used vortex diamondbacks 10 x 42. Usually on sale, at most $220.
I used many crappy packs before getting slumberjack rail hauler and a bag for everything. I use columbia or
fieldline daypacks, less than $50.
you don't need a tripod or spotter to start. I use $500 vortex diamondback angled spotter. no complaints
i have Ruger American 30 06 and nikon prostaff scope. i need to upgrade scope but start small, you have a lot
of stuff to buy! I use Halo rangefinder $100. Remington Cor Loks (ammo is expensive!)
Nalgene bottle, powerade 32 oz bottle in pack as second. Clif Bars. Granola. Emergen-C.

Most everything i have is pretty cheap, i buy used from outdoor stores, i don't wear fancy camo (even when turkey hunting). My backpacking hunt stuff is used and/or on sale, but more pricey than my other hunt stuff. You can get by with some inexpensive gear if you have to! Figure out layering clothes for your environment. Use a tree, walking stick, or your elbows to glass with binos. Can't belive folks carry tripods with them always. Know your limitations / range shooting. Get a friend to go figure it out with you if you don't have experienced mentor buddy. It's fun and not just for the gear hounds! Spend time figuring out a strategy to get the tags you want - that is hardest part lately! Good luck and have fun along the way!

Pack
Boots
Shelter
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
+ Water filtration/purification system(s)
+ Navigation system/app
+ Communication/emergency system

Pdzoller

WKR
I’m sure someone already said it but it can’t hurt to say it again. Get a satellite messaging system if you go out of cell service. Just knowing where you are won’t help you if you get in a emergency situation and aren’t able to get out!

I’m sure someone already said it but it can’t hurt to say it again. Get a satellite messaging system if you go out of cell service. Just knowing where you are won’t help you if you get in a emergency situation and aren’t able to get out!
Definitely makes my wife feel a lot better.

hunterjmj

WKR
Definitely makes my wife feel a lot better.
A guy in our camp got disoriented in a blizzard 3 years ago and spent the night next to a tree. We all have an InReach now. If a new guy hunts with us it's a requirement. Thankfully he was prepared and he was fine but that was a long night for everybody. $450 is cheap compared to being lost, stranded, etc.

fwafwow

WKR
Boots
Pack
Glass
Sleeping bag

I pick those 4 because the difference between one that works for you and one that doesn't work can be really impactful.

Also because all 4 you can usually expect some relative durability / long life from all these articles.
What about video editing equipment and software? :unsure: Please provide an update on when The Sequel will be released/posted.