Tough Merino Base

xnader

FNG
Any reccomendations for a quality DURABLE merino baselayer shirt? Would be worn as my main shirt more often than not, hunting areas that are thick and filled with sharp stuff so durability is important and usually 70+ degrees out so definitely need it to be thin. Thanks.

grfox92

WKR
Any reccomendations for a quality DURABLE merino baselayer shirt? Would be worn as my main shirt more often than not, hunting areas that are thick and filled with sharp stuff so durability is important and usually 70+ degrees out so definitely need it to be thin. Thanks.
Merino and tough will be hard to find in my experience. I wear holes through merino in one season. Usually right around my waist below my belly button where I would tuck in my shirt.

For bottoms, the crotch gets a hole worn in it pretty quick also.

That doesn't mean I throw them out or retire them, I have some Minus 33 merino that's very old but still serves me well, it just has a few holes in it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
look for merino/synthetic blends- the synthetic makes it more durable AND quicker drying

in my experience 70-ish% merino to 30-ish% synthetic is near the sweet spot

Jethro

WKR
I agree with Minus 33. I have some that is 7 years old. Mid-weight and heavy-weight. I wear it a lot. I wash it in the washer. I dry it in the dryer. Its still in excellent shape.

I can't compare it to any other brand as I've never had reason to try any others.

Agree with the others on their comments .
First Lite aerowool top works great in the temperature range you brought up. I’ve used it elk hunting in September. However it will not hold up to thorns and stickers. check out their stuff. I have FL merino for warm and cold weather.
I’ve only used minus 33 as my cold weather base layer stuff.

ODB

WKR
Hmm...good tips on the other brands. Never heard of rhem

Now, if someone would make a traditional button down merino wool shirt they’d be my hero...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've worn the SKRE merino tops as an outer layer for atlest two seasons so easily a hundred plus field days without destroying them.
They are woven with synthetic for extra durability.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, "merino", "thin", and "tough".......along with "hunting areas that are thick and filled with sharp stuff".......you're looking for a unicorn. Good luck. Even thick synthetic shirts aren't going to hold up to "thick and filled with sharp stuff" for very long. I'm thinking heavy denim for those conditions.....or maybe kevlar.

The King's Camo XKG Merino and the Black Ovis selections have been my base layers the last two years. No complaints.

H80Hunter

WKR
My first lite aerowool has been more durable than my minus 33 stuff (which I liked too). That said, your best bet is to get like a first lite wick hoody and throw Something over it when you’re in the thick stuff. I’ve taken my first lite catalyst jacket through some thick briars. Maybe a merino t shirt under that would work for you? I just don’t think anyone makes merino you can wear through thorns.... it’s just a misuse of the material.

Has anyone else experienced the Merino Base Layers running colder than a synthetic, or is it just me? Maybe they are designed that way. I don't get cold in them, but they feel cooler than a synthetic that feels warmer on the skin.

Prestjd

FNG
I have had great luck with black ovis, I have only one pair of kuiu zip off bottoms that are lightweight and warm but they can be a little itchy at times and certainly don't seem durable

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone else experienced the Merino Base Layers running colder than a synthetic, or is it just me? Maybe they are designed that way. I don't get cold in them, but they feel cooler than a synthetic that feels warmer on the skin.

just the opposite for me, I think it has to do with the synthetics drying quicker, but the merino still "feels" warmer