Traction Mats vs Tire Chains

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider

duchntr

WKR
Both chains and mats would not hurt to have but generally the mats are used as a recovery tool whereas chains are used as a traction device to keep your rig on the the track with forward momentum. If I were to chose one of the two I would and personally do keep a set of chains in my rig.

Both chains and mats would not hurt to have but generally the mats are used as a recovery tool whereas chains are used as a traction device to keep your rig on the the track with forward momentum. If I were to chose one of the two I would and personally do keep a set of chains in my rig.
Yup what he said. I have winter tires and have had to use mats before to get out of a drift. Cheap insurance to carry a set of mats in the truck and have chains on if you are in deep snow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Get chains. The mats are a waste of money. mtmuley
Thought so too till I needed em and they got me out when tree branches etc didn't... Spent 45 mins digging and couldn't get out... With mats popped out the first try.

gbflyer

WKR
The trick to chains for deep mud and snow is really easy. Put them on before you need them.

Mosby

WKR
Chains might allow you to continue on highway in bad weather, when required, so I always have them when I go out west. I am also thinking about getting a set of traction jacks to keep in the truck, in case I get stuck. I go out by myself quite a bit and I like having options. Being stuck when alone sucks. Chains, chain saw, jack, shovel, tow ropes and an extra spare are a minimum. I also carry a jumper box for my battery. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, when you are by yourself in the middle of nowhere. I would buy both if you can afford it

CX5Ranch

WKR
They make a deal that looks like a huge zip tie with cleats on it. I always thought they looked like they would work and easy to put on.

One is a mat that you dig and stick under your tire once stuck. The other is a chain you put on your tire's to keep from getting stuck. They don't share anything other then the user desire to not be stuck.

Since you have never used them and, the purpose of each were confusing to you, plan to Put chains on before you need them and you won't need the mats. Fool around and get good and hung and you'll exhaust yourself trying to dig out enough to put the mats under the tires. So, buy the chains and be done with it. That's my opinion.

I probably should not have asked that and, mean not be sarcastic about their purpose now. But, if you go the chain route, you had better do a test run or two to learn how to put them on. It isn't easy the first times you do it and, you have to get them TIGHT. Good luck and God Bless

rayporter

WKR
chains
and practice putting them on now.

I can put kickers on the outsides of a dually about as fast as you can put them on a spare tire off of the truck.
you just have to make up your mind you are going to get wet or dirty and that they are necessary.

many years ago there was a deal sort of like the zip tie chains mentioned. they were worthless. perhaps there have been advancements made but I have my doubts.

tracker12

WKR
Both chains and mats would not hurt to have but generally the mats are used as a recovery tool whereas chains are used as a traction device to keep your rig on the the track with forward what momentum. If I were to chose one of the two I would and personally do keep a set of chains in my rig.[/QUOTE
What he said

mtmuley

WKR
Thought so too till I needed em and they got me out when tree branches etc didn't... Spent 45 mins digging and couldn't get out... With mats popped out the first try.

I'm sure they work for small emergencies. Usually if a road is bad enough to get stuck without chains on, it's only gonna get worse. I just chain and go. I keep a kit with old coveralls, gloves, tie wire, zip ties and repair links along with repair tools. I like to get where I am going. mtmuley

RCL

WKR
Having both is nice, but if I could only have one it would be chains for sure.