Tractors

LostArra

WKR
I'm giving thought to upgrading from my 1950's Ferguson diesel to a newer compact tractor in the 30-40hp range. Old Fergie still starts and runs great with only a minor seal leak.
I would like a front end loader and easier 3pt attachment. I'm not a farmer and changing implements (rhino brush hog, box blade, disc and a harrow) now requires too much time, sweat and sailor language. Primarily needed for brush hog work (not finish mowing), big gardening (dirt moving), and rarely snow removal. I know every square inch of my property (20ac) and have never needed 4wd but I'm open to that option if I can hear where it's typically needed. I've also never had a loader but I know I can put it to good use.

Reliability and longevity are important features for me. I take care of stuff and and this would be stored out of the weather.

Suggestions on brands? Green paint seems expensive but if it's worth it on that size tractor then I would still include it as an option. Thanks

Beendare

WKR
The key is to put together a list of how you will be using it most...then go to your local tractor dealer.
It probably makes sense to stay with the same type of tractor you have as then you can utilize your attachments instead of buying those all new too.

I own a construction company so my requirements will be different from yours.

I own 4 machines- all Bobcats. We prefer the track machines over wheels for what we do. A skid steer is great for jobs where your work is in front of you. I wouldn't want to pull a disc- er with a skid steer. These excel at short distance work and are pretty nimble. The track machines have a low center of gravity so they work well on slopes. Skid steer isn't the machine for fields I wouldn't think.

If you do go the skid steer route, there is an outfit in Minnesota Quick Attach that makes some great attachments for these. I'm on my 3rd breaker....and the QA version is far superior.

Do you use it on and off year round or would a long term lease (6 month) work?
Compare the price of a new purchase to a lease which would be a new machine each year.

Wrench

WKR
Anew 4x4 will probably weigh what your old 2wd does. If you have a loader, it'll be handy as hell....but shift weight forward, which is where 4x4 really shines.

I built my place with a big for its size 26hp tractor and can't imagine not having a loader. I built forks and used it for EVERYTHING.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Do you use it on and off year round or would a long term lease (6 month) work?
Compare the price of a new purchase to a lease which would be a new machine each year.

Thanks I had not thought of that but I do use it year round and I know I would with a loader.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Anew 4x4 will probably weigh what your old 2wd does. If you have a loader, it'll be handy as hell....but shift weight forward, which is where 4x4 really shines.

I built my place with a big for its size 26hp tractor and can't imagine not having a loader. I built forks and used it for EVERYTHING.

My buddies tell me once you have a loader, you will find hundreds of uses for it. Good info on the 4x4 with loader.

Dad digging out a 20" live stump out of my food plot with his little back hoe attachment. second best attachment after the loader. I think his is 25-26 hsp. a little 4x4 John Deere

I have had a Kubota L3010HST I bought used for over 10 years. Loader and 4wd are mandatory. I heard somewhere it can get muddy in OK so would think it a requirement. I think it would be hard to find a used one without a loader. I'll invent work for it just to drive it around. Good luck.

Love my Kubota BX 24. Smaller than what you are looking for, but been a great workhorse for me. Agree about the backhoe, debated when getting the tractor on it and glad I have it.

For 3pt implements the Pat's Quick connect is a great option.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-3-Po...QK/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138152985&psc=1

++ on 4wd for loader work. Oh and get a tooth bar for the loader.

Implements I have for the 3pt are:
Finish Mower Deck
Brush Hog
Tiller
Single blade plow
Back Blade
York Rake
Post Hole Auger
Spreader
Sprayer
Wood Splitter
Snow Blower

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have a John Deere 2320, which is a 24HP diesel. I have the loader, and 62 inch mower deck. I have borrowed a few other attachments and it handled them well. Most 3 point attachments are universal, the loaders and mid PTO attachments are not. I decided on the JD because of the ease of attaching and removing the loader and mower deck. After my warranty ran out, it started leaking transmission oil from the center of the tractor. It needs to be split to repair the leak. Has me disgusted. My friend has a similar JD in the 3000 series which is in the 30HP range. It has a tremendous power advantage over mine. I would highly recommend a loader, as others have, because you will find uses for it you never though of. I skin deer with mine, haul firewood, use as a platform while cleaning gutters, and never lift anything heavy with my back now. But because of the oil leak issue, if I was shopping around again, I would give Kubota a closer look.

ChrisA

WKR
I was in a similar situation earlier this spring with a larger model of tractor. Have ran a 1969 Farmall 856 with Westendorf WL-42 loader for 16 years. Had nearly new radials on the rear with fluid plus a set of weights on each wheel.

It worked great for a long time but i found myself wanting and needing MFWD.

So I ended up with a modern Case IH Maxxum 140. Mostly out of convenience, price and support.

I'd have no problem with a Kubota and found they're a great value. Plus Kubota has been in the smaller series of tractors for a long time.

I'd say loader and MFWD are just about mandatory.

Chris

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I know nothing about your preferred size tractor but here you can save money on your initial purchase and have nothing or very little soon after, look for a reputable dealership and go to work

If I were looking for an all around tractor and money was not an issue, I would be looking at a 4x4 front loader with a 4 in 1 bucket on the front and a gannon with rippers on the rear. That combination will do most anything you would need it to do other than adding forks to the front. There are pluses and minuses to all the brands.

Given you do not like your current system for changing implements, you might think of a different brand, or how well the combinations available, or what I mentioned as my preference.

RnnHntr

FNG
A couple of thoughts. I have a Montana 3020 4wd (basically and LG painted green and with a different name on it), and a Ford 4000 2wd. For safety's sake, either get one with an independent PTO or put a PTO clutch between the tractor and the implement, especially a brush hog. With a PTO that is in-line with the transmission, the momentum of the blade on a brush hog will push the tractor and make braking more difficult. An independent PTO also allows you to use PTO-driven stationary equipment like a chipper. Also, look for a tractor with live hydraulics (hydraulics that operate whenever the tractor is running) older machines typically do not have this feature. As to 4WD in winter, I find that I need chains on either machine if it is slick, but the 4wd does a little better. The biggest thing is getting weight over the driving wheels. Water mixed with Calcium Chloride or Magnesium Chloride in the rear tires is a huge help. Finally, if you are looking at a machine with a loader, make sure the loader was actually made for that machine and is attached with the proper frame. A lot of older tractors have had loaders "adapted" to them that don't fit. As to brand, I have had my Montana for 16 years and it has been a great machine. As I said above, they are basically just an LG so even though Montana is out of business, parts are still easy to come by.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I have a Kioti 4x4 with a 45hp diesel with over 1500 hrs now and it’s been great. Local dealer is awesome and that makes a tremendous difference. Lotta good choices out there in product and service. Some lousy dealers with lousy service.

I have a Kioti. 30 hp, 4x4 with loader and a few other attachments. Love the loader. Use it more than anything. Gravel, mulch, clearing out spaces around the house. Couldnt imagine not having the loader. I cant speak for the longevity of the Kioti, mine is only a 1 yr old and has about 100 hrs on it. I have had no issues, but I use it only casually for bush hogging, yard work and garden work. I went with the Kioti over other brands due to price. I got the tractor with loader, 20 ft trailer, Bush hog, box blade and Roto tiller for price of just same price as a kubota with no implements.

danarnold

WKR
I planned on getting a 50hp without a cab for some chores around our Missouri place and a lot of work for our place in Colorado, ended up with a cab and 60hp and glad I did both. I’m definitely not a farmer but justified the Kubota for many reasons, resale being one of them. I couldn’t find a used one anywhere around for the price I paid for new, dealers said they couldn’t keep a 50hp Kubota on the lot.
I use it way more than I thought I would.
I don’t buy anything china if I can help it, also heard about hydraulic fittings being unique on some models from there, I needed to be able to use some skidsteer attachments, grapple was borrowed from a neighbor. Glad I went orange

2db40627968a8a55df25b8726c9c2a4f.jpg

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
My family runs all case and would probably disown me for saying it but Kubota. I worked at a dealership for a few years and where pretty impressed by their tractors (skidsteers are another story). Seemed really reliable and I saw plenty that have lasted a long time. I'd suggest getting the tires loaded with beatjuice if you can, helps the front loader a ton. Taking of the loader is easy, and the three point is about the same as all the rest.

That said, take into heavy consideration the dealership support in your area. Even great machines will need work and parts.