Trail Cameras for Poachers

I have some hunting property in CA that frequently has poachers. I am hesitant to engage armed trespassers at night. I assume trail cams would help find and identify poachers — but I am cont sure the sheriff or fish and game would bother to do anything if we reported it to them.

Has anyone used trail cams to identify poachers before? We’re the authorities responsive?

Not personally but I know plenty landowners that have switched to Cell/Satellite trail cameras to monitor property. Posting signs stating the fact of surveillance has helped deter people accessing through normal routes.

I doubt local authorities would spend much time on it unless a crime is being committed, or strong evidence for a serious crime exists. You could sue someone in civil court for trespassing if damages can be proved.

If actual illegal killing of animals happens it may help identify, but everyone should be wearing a mask anyway! :ROFLMAO:

TheGDog

WKR
Well... it IS your property... so.. research this first before you do it.. but.. I have to imagine there'd be no law against you doing something such as rigging up an exploding indelible ink bomb like they do in bags of money, on the bank etc. In order to prove this particular human did indeed trespass and was where they shouldn't be.

You could also make trap-pits. I obviously wouldn't put spikes in them... but at least make them big enough and deep enough where you know without a doubt if MrFr fell into them they'd get EFF'd up so they learn their lesson in a big way.

If you catch em in the act... maybe a paintball gun, where you've taken the liberty to first FREEZE the paintball ammo so it really freakin hurts upon impact?

Why wouldn't you confront them? Who cares about the time of day? Just like hunting, with proper preparation it should be relatively risk free. You'd have the tactical advantage of knowing of their presence before you engage with them. So you'd totally have the upper hand. If it's a concern you could reach-out to others before you engage for backup just in case.

The game wardens would do something, that's potentially money on the table for them in terms of fines. No way their bosses are gonna let free-money just sit on the table without wanting to grab for it.

If you have pictures of them on your property in an identifiable location, and you notify Fish and Wildlife, sure, if they can locate them, they will cite them. However, they will likely damage or steal any cameras you put up.

Zappaman

WKR
I was having a drink just a few days ago with a buddy who has the satellite cameras. He got a notice (picture) of a few people WELL trespassed onto his land while we were sitting and talking. He called the warden on the spot and explained this situation. Thirty minutes later the warden called and said it was hard wood loggers looking around (not cutting, just checking it out). He told the warden to "keep" the trespass fee and thanked him for his attention in the matter.

I've kicked off hunters on our ranches (for years in MN where we had well posted, private, deeded land- not BLM). They almost always play stupid, then you tell them the fine they are about to get... that's when they all high tail it out without further conversation-- and LOTS of apologies! That was in the 70/80s though and back then they KNEW they were tresspassing- those maps hadn't changed in 100 years ;)

Personally, I'd post a sign at several gates saying, "ALL visitors viewed through scope."

OP
pronghorned
They definitely know they are trespassing. Barbed wire is cut right in front of a no trespassing & no hunting sign.

There is cell service on the property, I am considering getting 4G game camera. I think you are right that it would need to be a live update to a warden for them to be able to do anything.

Moserkr

WKR
Question is are they poaching or growing dope on your land? Id much rather confront poachers than dopers.

When you mount the cameras, have multiple nearby watching the area from different angles in case they take one. Place them high enough in a tree looking down to where they wont notice them or be able to remove easily. Or concealed down low looking up, but that makes them easier to take.

Moserkr

WKR
They are definitely not growing dope — nothing would survive this drought
Ive run across enough grows so it was worth asking. You’d be surprised how far Ive seen water lines run out there. Glad its not dope but poaching isnt much better. Good luck.

I had a Spartan cell cam stolen last week and have since spoken with the DNR and the Sherriff's dept.

The local Game Warden gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him if I get a pic or see someone on my property and he will have whoever is closest go by there. I also filled out an affidavit with a list of who all has permission to be on my land and for what purpose. I gave him a code to my gate and told him he is welcome to go out there as much as he likes.

The Sheriff took down a bunch of information and got the serial number from my camera, etc. Gave me a case number and told me to call the non-emergency line if I get a pic, and to call 911 if I am there and see someone in person.

So are they responsive? I guess we will find out once I get this person's picture and call them, but so far they seem to be taking it pretty seriously. Interestingly enough when the Sherriff returned my voicemail, he knew the last time we had an incident on our farm, which was in the 1980s. He said he worked the case and had just started his job. I thought that was pretty cool.

I'd say reach out to your local Sherriff's office and DNR as well and put a plan together.

One trick to protecting trail cameras is to use a ladder and put them up high angles down. People do that on public land in Wisconsin over bear baits to help with theft

Well... it IS your property... so.. research this first before you do it.. but.. I have to imagine there'd be no law against you doing something such as rigging up an exploding indelible ink bomb like they do in bags of money, on the bank etc. In order to prove this particular human did indeed trespass and was where they shouldn't be.

You could also make trap-pits. I obviously wouldn't put spikes in them... but at least make them big enough and deep enough where you know without a doubt if MrFr fell into them they'd get EFF'd up so they learn their lesson in a big way.

If you catch em in the act... maybe a paintball gun, where you've taken the liberty to first FREEZE the paintball ammo so it really freakin hurts upon impact?

Why wouldn't you confront them? Who cares about the time of day? Just like hunting, with proper preparation it should be relatively risk free. You'd have the tactical advantage of knowing of their presence before you engage with them. So you'd totally have the upper hand. If it's a concern you could reach-out to others before you engage for backup just in case.

The game wardens would do something, that's potentially money on the table for them in terms of fines. No way their bosses are gonna let free-money just sit on the table without wanting to grab for it.
I wouldn't recommend creating any type of traps in any way. I am not lawyer or lawmaker but it appears that the landowner can very easily be held responsible for any bodily harm to a person, especially if it was an intentional and planned "attack". I don't fully agree with a landowner having to be held responsible for that but its best to know what consequences you may face if you do indeed cause harm to the trespasser. PAINTED DEER HUNTER TO HAVE TRESPASSING TICKET DISMISSED, LANDOWNER ALSO CHARGED